I Don't even recognize myself anymore...

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a Yamaha guy. Always have been. First bike was a 1983 XS400 Maxim. I've found Yamaha's are easy to work on and parts are available, generally.
Love my 05 FZ6. I've put 50K miles on it since I bought in 2012. Perfectly set up for touring, camping, etc, and does everything I want it to do. But that didn't stop me from wanting a new bike, and I've been watching the FJ09/Tracer900GT models for some time now. Almost pulled the trigger on a Tracer in March...when the pandemic started and delayed that. Lost a lot of sleep thinking about why I would buy a new bike, when the FZ6 is perfect. Took some time during the lockdown to do the valve clearance check/adjustment, too. And fix timing when I screwed that up. Not sure it ever ran better.

Fast foward to October 2020. Got the itch again! I need a TFT dash! ABS! Quick shifter! Cruise Control! Ride modes, traction control, blah blah blah. A decent deal on a 2020 Tracer GT was found at relatively local shop I hadn't been to before. Made the trip with the intent of pulling the trigger, even brought my checkbook. This dealer (Montgomeryville Cycle Center) has all the brands: including BMW's. So while sitting on the TracerGT for a few minutes, and pondering if I could live with the limited foot room (my heal hits the passenger pegs, common problem with the GT), the sales guy told me to compare it to a 2019 BMW f850GS right next to it.

Long story short (too late), I am now the owner of two bikes. The 05 FZ6 and the f850GS. The 'rider triangle' fits me so much better (I'm 6'1"), and I never realized how bent my legs were on the FZ6. And how, even with up/back risers on my bars, I was reaching forward somewhat. With the GS, my posture feels absolutely perfect. And it makes this great sound out of the stock exhaust, sound that I'm sure you're familiar with if you have an after market exhaust; I still have the stock exhaust on my FZ6.

All of the electronics perform fabulously; Cruise control is a game changer. Heated grips...who knew how awesome they would be? Quick shifter is so much fun. Love this bike!
I'm sure part of my decision to buy this bike was somewhat peer pressure induced (most of the guys I ride with have BMW's), I am excited about this bike. I miss that excitement I used to have with the FZ6, even for a commute to work or quick run to the store. It's back! I initially planned on keeping both bikes, based on my bond with the FZ6. And I may still do so. Hoping to find a local friend or relative that wants to take ownership, that would be ideal. But after taking a quick ride on it yesterday, I found that I certainly don't miss the cramped riding position, and I'm not sure I'd ever choose to ride it if both bikes were side by side. And the FZ6 is meant to be ridden! Not sitting in a garage under long term storage indefinitely. Only leads to rusted tanks and mechanical issues.

Thanks for reading my rant!

IMG_3191.jpg
IMG_3195.jpg

IMG_3213.jpg

Last edited:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on the new purchase. The F850 is a fine platform - great choice.

I'm a multi-bike owner, I ride what mood strikes me. However all of my bikes have distinct personalities...the FZ and the F might serve the same function.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thx, and I agree on that last statement. Sure, I can do a little more off-road on the F, but I don’t plan on it. I ride mostly pavement and haul camping gear and supplies. Both bikes do both well.

One thing I look forward to doing is wearing out these dual purpose tires and putting on a Michelin Road 5 set...I don’t have the same confidence in turns with these shoes.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How did I miss this! This is one of my dream bikes. I'm an hour plus from Anza Borrego Desert and I can imagine myself on this on the many trails this would be perfect for.
Congratulations!

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a Yamaha guy. Always have been. First bike was a 1983 XS400 Maxim. I've found Yamaha's are easy to work on and parts are available, generally.
Love my 05 FZ6. I've put 50K miles on it since I bought in 2012. Perfectly set up for touring, camping, etc, and does everything I want it to do. But that didn't stop me from wanting a new bike, and I've been watching the FJ09/Tracer900GT models for some time now. Almost pulled the trigger on a Tracer in March...when the pandemic started and delayed that. Lost a lot of sleep thinking about why I would buy a new bike, when the FZ6 is perfect. Took some time during the lockdown to do the valve clearance check/adjustment, too. And fix timing when I screwed that up. Not sure it ever ran better.

Fast foward to October 2020. Got the itch again! I need a TFT dash! ABS! Quick shifter! Cruise Control! Ride modes, traction control, blah blah blah. A decent deal on a 2020 Tracer GT was found at relatively local shop I hadn't been to before. Made the trip with the intent of pulling the trigger, even brought my checkbook. This dealer (Montgomeryville Cycle Center) has all the brands: including BMW's. So while sitting on the TracerGT for a few minutes, and pondering if I could live with the limited foot room (my heal hits the passenger pegs, common problem with the GT), the sales guy told me to compare it to a 2019 BMW f850GS right next to it.

Long story short (too late), I am now the owner of two bikes. The 05 FZ6 and the f850GS. The 'rider triangle' fits me so much better (I'm 6'1"), and I never realized how bent my legs were on the FZ6. And how, even with up/back risers on my bars, I was reaching forward somewhat. With the GS, my posture feels absolutely perfect. And it makes this great sound out of the stock exhaust, sound that I'm sure you're familiar with if you have an after market exhaust; I still have the stock exhaust on my FZ6.

All of the electronics perform fabulously; Cruise control is a game changer. Heated grips...who knew how awesome they would be? Quick shifter is so much fun. Love this bike!
I'm sure part of my decision to buy this bike was somewhat peer pressure induced (most of the guys I ride with have BMW's), I am excited about this bike. I miss that excitement I used to have with the FZ6, even for a commute to work or quick run to the store. It's back! I initially planned on keeping both bikes, based on my bond with the FZ6. And I may still do so. Hoping to find a local friend or relative that wants to take ownership, that would be ideal. But after taking a quick ride on it yesterday, I found that I certainly don't miss the cramped riding position, and I'm not sure I'd ever choose to ride it if both bikes were side by side. And the FZ6 is meant to be ridden! Not sitting in a garage under long term storage indefinitely. Only leads to rusted tanks and mechanical issues.

Thanks for reading my rant!

View attachment 73797
View attachment 73798

View attachment 73799

Do you do your own wrenching on your bikes? Remember, BMW is short for 'Bring My Wallet'! :)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you do your own wrenching on your bikes? Remember, BMW is short for 'Bring My Wallet'! :)

And if wrenching yourself, hope your a tool-a-holic.

MANY speciality tools for basic maintenance.

I could go on but congratulations on your new ride!

As I'm a Keep It Simple Stupid (KISS), type, I'd keep your FZ.
You won't regret it down the road/over time..

Last edited:

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. I had heard rumors, but I’m finding out just how expensive BMW ownership really is. Will definitely be doing my own maintenance!

Cliff- I haven’t done many trails or off-roading before, aside from the occasional gravel/fire road... but eager to start!

BMW- bring my wallet. Now that’s funny!

Scott- yes, I’ll probably keep the FZ. Why not. Costs $75/yr for insurance, and I have the room in the garage. Just need to take her out every month or so and keep the juices flowing!