I need help with my timing plz

billfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I need some help with my timing I replaced my head lined up my timing marks on my crankshaft and both cams turned it over by hand and it still won't start it's backfiring out the carburetor a little bit what do I do

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If it’s back firing out of the Throttle Bodies (no carbs on an FZ6) then the crank or the cams are likely 180 degrees out of phase. Did you confirm that #1 was at TDC when you installed the timing chain? Were the lobes on the cam in the correct orientation? The alignment marks on the cam can be 180 degrees out as well.

billfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
If it’s back firing out of the Throttle Bodies (no carbs on an FZ6) then the crank or the cams are likely 180 degrees out of phase. Did you confirm that #1 was at TDC when you installed the timing chain? Were the lobes on the cam in the correct orientation? The alignment marks on the cam can be 180 degrees out as well.
Yes sir I chec
manlobes on my camera pointed away from each other like they're supposed to be all three of my time in March that lined up I turn the motor over two times and they're all at the exact same spot not only is it back far enough to throttle bodies but it's backfiring out the tailpipe too

billfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Man the lobes on my cam are pointing away from each other like they're supposed to all three of my time in March line up I can turn the motor over by hand twice and all three timing marks line up exactly the same place again and not only is it back far enough to throttle bodies but it's backfiring out the tailpipe to

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So you had both of the camshaft sprocket timing marks towards the outside of the head (away from center) and the "T" on the pickup rotor aligned with the crankcase mating surface.

So that leads to one strong possibility - your spark plug caps are on the wrong cylinders.