Ignition replacement

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently saw a video, "4 common problems with the FZ6!" by calvin mc.
In this video he proposes finding a retrofit for our admittedly budget ignition system with a coil on plug system for improved ignition efficiency. I tried searching to see if this has been approached on here but didn't see results. Would the juice be worth the squeeze? I've had a misfire coming off low revs for quite some time that never bugged me enough to fix, maybe if someone gets this to work for reasonable $ it'd be a fun project.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have no coil related error code and the miss only exists at low rpm, could it be a vacuum leak or other issue? A bad TPS can also create that type of anomaly. If it is coil related with no code @trepetti did a coil over mod that's the 'bees knees"

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Trep is the guy for COP for the FZ6. I’ve done it on other bikes and it is a straightforward conversation. If my ignition ever fails on my FZ, I wouldn’t hesitate to make the conversion.

Regarding the weak points of the FZ, they all boil down to one over arching subject - Corrosion. FZ’s that live a life in a garage, or are otherwise protected from the elements of nature, live a long trouble free existence. Bikes that live in the elements experience corrosion related failures such as the switch on the throttle control, harness connectors and fuel delivery issues due to rust in the fuel tank.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
If you have no coil related error code and the miss only exists at low rpm, could it be a vacuum leak or other issue? A bad TPS can also create that type of anomaly. If it is coil related with no code @trepetti did a coil over mod that's the 'bees knees"
I checked tps in diag mode. #'s tracked smoothly through range. IDK where a vac leak would be coming from.
I'm NOT a mechanic nor do i play one on tv. Wouldn't fuel be worse higher in revs? There is a bit of hunting at idle, but I'm still getting 54ish mpg and at 340lbs that's like running a pillion every time so it's not a major issue. If anyone lived closer or could suggest a solid mechanic, it'd be appreciated. I keep seeing fz6's between The Falls and Waukesha, hoping one of them is on here and feels like making a friend *and a couple bucks.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
With a small vacuum leak, at idle, the engine mixture has a higher mismatch of air to fuel mixture than when the throttle is opened. The leak has less effect When the amount of air introduced is much larger and the difference in the A/F is minimal in comparison. So at idle you have a lean out miss, but when the throttle is opened the miss disappears.
The vacuum leak could occur at one of the vacuum lines or a plug at the throttle bodies. Any vacuum hose is suspect.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
With a small vacuum leak, at idle, the engine mixture has a higher mismatch of air to fuel mixture than when the throttle is opened. The leak has less effect When the amount of air introduced is much larger and the difference in the A/F is minimal in comparison. So at idle you have a lean out miss, but when the throttle is opened the miss disappears.
The vacuum leak could occur at one of the vacuum lines or a plug at the throttle bodies. Any vacuum hose is suspect.
That sound probable. I just did a TB synch, so plugs are good on those lines. I don't even know where to start.