inclined plane wrapped helically around an axis.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Rhymes with brewed. Is there a way to replace the component on the back of the tachometer, or am I looking at a new cluster?

If I'm stuck buying a new cluster, does anyone have any suggestions under $200? Lower is better.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
During priming of fuel pump and electronics turning on, the tach would only spin to about 6k and stop, drop and go back to 6k before dropping again. I took gauges apart and found the new screw had punctured the silver case of tiny wrapped wire. On the side in tiny letters reads I or L 7C7A... My flip phone doesn't really show much but a silver blob with white specs.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone know if the 99-02 uses the same harness/ wiring as our FZ6? Specifically 2008. If it'd simply be plug and play I would need some new shorts!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone know if the 99-02 uses the same harness/ wiring as our FZ6? Specifically 2008. If it'd simply be plug and play I would need some new shorts!

2009 and up is the "R" styled bike, not the same as ours.

I believe the tach shows the red line a bit lower than our S1 and S2 bikes.

As for the harness, no idea..

Keep your shorts for now!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The clocks for the fz600 are probably different from the FZ6 which was 2004 to 2009. There were 2 versions of the FZ6. S1 which was 2004 to 2006 and S2 which was 2007 to 2009.
All FZ6 models use a single data line for most of the instrument cluster readout. This basically means the information is from the ECU sent to the cluster where another CPU decodes and then output the signals to the readout. This is probably not a compatible match for any FZ600 gear.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also the FZ1 instrument cluster of similar year FZ1 will work with comparable FZ6 years but the rpm redline on the FZ1 will be lower. That's for sure not a deal breaker because I never am looking at the tach to shift. So you might add the FZ1 tach to your search on Flea Bay.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Bit the bullet and bought a new cluster. :( Couldn't find the component after a sleepless night. Does the display show mileage of the bike or does it transfer with the display?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
New, as in BRAND NEW?

I think the ECU displays it electronically. Should show the same as the old speedometer...

Worse case scenario, you have a NEW BIKE!!

Seriously, there are some companies that can change the electronic reading in a speedometer with some certain caveats. (like used car dealers :( )

Last edited:

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
New, as in BRAND NEW?

I think the ECU displays it electronically. Should show the same as the old speedometer...

Worse case scenario, you have a NEW BIKE!!

Seriously, there are some companies that can change the electronic reading in a speedometer with some certain caveats. (like used car dealers :( )

That'd be a nice 51k mile reset. :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm still not clear what happened here. A long screw poked a hole in a wire or a component on the circuit board?
In one explanation it sounded like both. And ya, components like a capacitor can be replaced and at some level board damage repaired. That said these are a four layer PCB in some areas and damage can short the layers raising hell with electron flow!
Can you detail the damage and or shoot a picture?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup ^^^^^^^ If the screw went through a multilayered circuit board it may have also damaged components associated with those other layers.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
It plowed into the silver cylinder on the back of the tach. The mechanism which turns the needle. It frayed the incredibly small diameter wires wound inside said cylinder. As a result the tach malfunctions. I pulled the silver cylinder off, and what looked like pins came with it. It has white "feet" and a peg that fits a hole in the board (for orientation?) The little wound wires are light green. Pulling the tach needle was tricky, but ended up using a fork with paper backing to avoid scratches. I have a replacement coming, but if some solder and patience (with a spare part) would fix this I would like to keep everything as original as possible. It's my first and only bike so I'm sentimental.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a used replacement as Yamaha wants $500 for a new one. Supply and demand I guess, but didn't know it was such a hot ticket item.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It sounds like you may be talking about the meter movement? A d'arsonval movement comes to mind. https://www.google.com/search?clien.....0.92.180.2......0....1..gws-wiz.x-KuRjOWFIk

Yeah, if you even bump any of that it will be effected in a negative way. If you play with a d'arsonval movement you'll generally feel like Lenny with his dead mouse in, "Of Mice and Men"

[video=youtube;DCM-sEpyh1Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCM-sEpyh1Q[/video]

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you could get a busted FZ6 unit and get the needle off that without killing it, we may be able to fix you up.

I've repaired 3 of them for members but was never brave enough to yank the needle off. That thing is on there and I thought I'd do more damage removing it than leaving it alone.

Shoot a picture but ya, no fixing tiny voice coil.

Can we swap the tach needle hardware from a dead unit to yours? Maybe!
Shoot us a high picture to evaluate it...

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
D arson would be the culprit. Needle was on there in deed, but wiggling a fork on top of paper did the trick. If someone on here has a clapped out unit where that movement works I'd be game to send you mine and go mad scientist on it. (ok more like mad engineer, but still.) As for pics, the flip phone doesn't have a functioning camera. Gave up the ghost about 8 months ago. May have to cave and get a tablet, I mean smart phone ;)