intermittent loss of power

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
this morning i hop on the bike, turn key to ON, right when i went to fire it up it lost all power. i cant remember the sequence of events, whether it was my flipping the kill switch or pressing the starter that did it. happened instantaneously and i thought something shorted

turned ignition off and reset and the bike fired up like normal, and I (perhaps foolishly) went on with the day

I go to the post offic, and when i come out I turn the ignition to ON and nothing cycles, no electricity, no anything. I try again and notice when I turn the key to OFF the clock is there, then when I try again and put the ignition to ON, clock dissapears and the dash is just blank.

I sit there for 10 minutes maybe, trying and nothing, but then finally out of nowhere it cycles and fires up.

Im riding home, come to a stop sign and make it halfway through the intersection and it just dies, but still has some electricity because the orange battery light on the dash is now lit. If you ever had an alternator go out in your car while driving, this is kind of what it felt like just happened. i try to start the engine again and it wont turn over so i pull to the side and turn the bike off then on, but now it does the same thing it was doing at the post office which is nothing, no power or anything.

10 minutes more of playing with it and finally it cycles again and fires up, and I make it home.

Once home I turn it off and on again and start it up maybe 15 times with no incident. I was hoping to have it crash out again so I could get more specific details on this post for what was happening but it fired up just fine.

Any insight greatly appreciated im not sure where to start except to check for a loose battery terminal

thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twobob1

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh no another intermittent a day after the last was solved...

How old is your battery? Has the wiring been modified hacked into anywhere? Washed it lately with a pressure washer or any water ingress? Has it got an aftermarket alarm? How much stuff in terms of usb sockets extra lights have you got wired up?

Sounds like could be battery to me I'm sure someone else will know more from your symptoms.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Check your battery terminals, that their tight AND that the red plastic cover over the positive terminal is NOT SQUASHED in-between the battery and cable.

While there, I'd yank the battery and get it load tested.

Lastly, once started, check to see what your charging voltage is. Should be almost 14 volts @ 5,000 RPM's

A video of mine, cold start, BD43 headlight mod to get an idea: https://www.flickr.com/photos/147134237@N06/29303851750/in/dateposted/

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
awesome thanks for the tips ill report back once i get in there

As far as extra gizmos theres a battery tender hooked up which is never plugged into anything and also theres LED lights which run off switch that also runs direct to the battery. They were there when I got the bike and I rewired it maybe 4 months ago but I never turn them on

no idea how old the battery is; no washing but i live in san francisco and i live inside fog. every morning its misty, MOST nights I have the cover on it, its parked outside

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
Had the battery load tested, everything was fine. I cleaned all the terminals with a wire brush and made sure everything was seated correctly

Tested the voltage while running at 5k RPM and it was 14.0x

Just went for a spin. Hopefully this was much ado about nothing ill report back if anything crops up

thanks again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twobob1

Reaction score
Visit site
Could be a faulty wire or connector somewhere in your loom but don't rule out the battery if you don't know how old it is. Look for anything thats been taped up not by factory and generally go over all the connectors and look for anything obvious when you have the time the two panniers on the side of the bike by the seat hold some crucial connectors and relays that you might want to inspect.