Intermittent starting problem

pacool

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello fellow FZ6 riders.. I need help regarding the intermittent starting issues with my bike. I have a 2007 FZ6 with 101,500 miles on the clock. I just recently replaced with a brand new battery, so I am pretty sure this is not the culprit. She's my daily driver. Sometimes, I could start her in just one shot, and fires right up. But other times this is not the case, and it is becoming more often a struggle to fire her up. When this happens, I just push her myself (down a slope or a parking lot) on a second gear and she starts right up. Once the engine is running, I don't experience any hesitation or any power loss issues while riding - low speed(side street) or higher speed (freeway), no jerks or whatsoever. She rides smooth with a responsive throttle response. These are the error codes that I got from her on Diagnostic mode. A total of three error codes stored they are: 12, 19 and 30.

Any advise that you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Please stay safe and healthy.

pacool

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on riding your bike over 100,000 miles.

Do you hear the fuel pump priming in those cases when it won’t start? Have you inspected the in-tank fuel filter?
Thanks
Congrats on riding your bike over 100,000 miles.

Do you hear the fuel pump priming in those cases when it won’t start? Have you inspected the in-tank fuel filter?
Thanks.

She's been very reliable since day one I got her out from the dealership. I have no any headache on her until she hits the 6-digit mark where the intermittent start issue is now getting into my nerves. Yes, I could hear the fuel pump prime each time the turned "ON" the ignition switch. I also recently opened up the fuel filter and cleaned it. Not so much debris from the filter as seen from the photo. A question I have in mind is that, when I push start, she instantly fires right up.

Attachments

• FUEL FILTER.jpg
    FUEL FILTER.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 11

pacool

Reaction score
Visit site
Specifically what does it do...

Slow crank/spin over?

Normal crank over just NO START?

View attachment 73691
It is a Normal crank over just NO START. Just to give a bit more of background to what I already replaced in an attempt to get away with the issue. I had the motor starter replaced, starter relay, ignition coils and cables and brand new spark plug. I got the first three items used OEM from ebay.

Thank you so much for sharing the fault code list. The number one fault code in her diag is 12(together with 19 and 30 during the times that she wont fire). I guess i have to try to check on the crankshaft position sensor ? My bike still has the original CPS. Is there a quick check I can do to the sensor prior to hunt for a replacement?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It is a Normal crank over just NO START. Just to give a bit more of background to what I already replaced in an attempt to get away with the issue. I had the motor starter replaced, starter relay, ignition coils and cables and brand new spark plug. I got the first three items used OEM from ebay.

Thank you so much for sharing the fault code list. The number one fault code in her diag is 12(together with 19 and 30 during the times that she wont fire). I guess i have to try to check on the crankshaft position sensor ? My bike still has the original CPS. Is there a quick check I can do to the sensor prior to hunt for a replacement?

Member Cliff @Motogiro may know how to check it.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting... The lean angle sensor and CPS both, are supplied from the same wire from the ECU and through those 2 sensors and back to the ECU. Very important to check the ECU interface plug to see if there may be corrosion or other condition that might cause a poor electrical path between the ECU pins and plug.
The other possibility is that when the starter is active it is drawing more current than it should. This could dump voltage that the ECU needs for proper starting as it reads sensors, hence going into a no start because it seeing a failed sensor. The other point might be a voltage drop during starter operation due to higher than normal resistance in the harness feeding the ECU and other circuits. This would be present when there is a greater voltage drop during starter current draw. Inspect the main fuse assembly at the top of the battery including the main fuse and connector. Check that the wires at that assembly are tight a look healthy.

High resistance at the kill switch could also be where the voltage dump occurs. You might jump the kill switch to see if the problem is alleviated.

pacool

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for these valuable pointers. I will check the ECU interface plug and other wire harness that I can get and see if the are abnormalities / corrosion on them. After which I would like to erase the error codes currently stored in the ECU to determine if these same error codes will come back after a no start situation.

Could you please let me know the steps on how to erase the existing error codes? Thanks again.

pacool

Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately, I was not able to retrieved from my old email. I have updated my profile email just now.
Greatly appreciate if you could send again to my updated email. Thanks!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately, I was not able to retrieved from my old email. I have updated my profile email just now.
Greatly appreciate if you could send again to my updated email. Thanks!
PM is Private Message here on the forum. Not your email. The little envelope icon at the top of the forum web page to the right side of your member name will indicate you have a PM. Click on the envelope and a window opens to go to your PM. :)