Introduction and question

Chris09fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey glad to have found this place. I've been lurking for a while. I bought my first bike, 09 FZ6, back at the end of April before I even had my permit. Paid $2900 with 28,435mi on it. That may sound high (price and miles lol) to some of you but where I live (Vermont) there aren't a lot of options for used bikes at a decent price. I had my friend come with me to look at it and while we couldn't test ride it the owner took it up and down the road so we could hear it shifting and whatnot. Ended up getting it and my friend rode it home for me. We get back and he said it was smooth, he liked it a lot. He rides a '15 FZ-09 and said he almost likes the 6 better lol.

Shortly after I got it:

I'm the third owner and both previous owners dropped it once, scraped both sides, stator cover and whatnot had some rash and then I basically let it fly right from underneath me the first time I got on it as I didn't know what I was doing at all and gave it too much throttle and let the clutch out too quick and scraped the left side up some more. Scratched my pride more than anything lol. But I got back on and haven't dumped it since (knock on wood). Since getting the bike I got my permit, did the basic rider course, and got my license. I put on about 5,900mi this season (first season).

I am a heavy throttle rider lol. Usually shift around 6k rpm and regularly get it up to the red line (at least once a trip, most trips are around 100mi or more). There are a lot of rural roadsbnot far from where I live. Runs smooth near as I can tell with no previous bikes to compare it too but I'm guessing I could tell if something was not right (I do most of my own car work and plan to with the bike as well).

Previous owner put a new rear tire on and a new battery in, oil changed, air filter changed, and front brake pads changed last year. I put a new front tire on like 200mi ago (steel cords showing through and slowly losing air), repainted the 1 scraped cover on each side of the bike and sanded down the scrape on the mirror and corner of the fairing so it's smooth at least and I will probably try painting it this winter so the bike has no down time when it's riding time , added frame sliders (still looking for axle sliders), scorpion carbon fiber exhaust, gear indicator, motodynamics smoked tail light and removed stock rear turn signals, replaced front turns with just some cheap led turn/running lights for now as I can't stand the giant pumpkins, had a piece of translucent black vinyl put on the windscreen but will be getting the dark smoked puig racing screen, got a ram mount for my phone and made the bar to go above the the speedo but didn't install it before the bike was put up for the winter. I also did an oil change shortly before parking it.

I put it away for the winter about 2 weeks ago as I ride it mostly for fun and it's not fun when it's cold lol. I plan on doing spark plugs, coolant, brake fluid, and fork oil and seals (leaking) before I take it back out next spring. I may do sprockets and chain depending on opinions here as I have no experience with that...

I didn't have a chance to look at the front sprocket as the bike is parked about a 30 minute drive from me and I didn't have tools when I took these. I clean and wax my chain every 400mi or less with maxima chain clean and wax with a grunge brush and I'm not cheap with it (used like 3 cans of wax and 4 or 5 cans of clean this season)

I think that's just about the meat of it all lol. Thanks for reading and for your opinions.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Bike looks great. I love the black on black, not a combo I often see.

Chain looks clean, but a bit tight to me. Check the slack.
Good eye Gary! Yeah that chain looks like it's too tight.

@Chris09fz6

Welcome to this great forum!
If you have no record of the valve lash being checked it might be a good idea to have it done.

Chris09fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
First thing to do, (if not done already), is fill up the fuel tank (with a stabilizer, or E-Free) to prevent
rust inside the fuel tank.

Sounds like your well on your way to maintaining the bike and congrates!
Yup I didn't mention it but I did fill the tank with ethanol free gas and stabilizer, thank you for checking!

Bike looks great. I love the black on black, not a combo I often see.

Chain looks clean, but a bit tight to me. Check the slack.
Yeah I also like the black; I'm not really into some of the neon colors a lot of bikes have lol. I will give the chain slack a check next time I'm at the barn where I have it stored. How about the rear sprocket? Has some life left? (Like 6k miles or more, would hate to change halfway through a season lol)

Good eye Gary! Yeah that chain looks like it's too tight.

@Chris09fz6

Welcome to this great forum!
If you have no record of the valve lash being checked it might be a good idea to have it done.
I do not have a record of that being done so I will have to do that. Thank you

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup I didn't mention it but I did fill the tank with ethanol free gas and stabilizer, thank you for checking!

Yeah I also like the black; I'm not really into some of the neon colors a lot of bikes have lol. I will give the chain slack a check next time I'm at the barn where I have it stored. How about the rear sprocket? Has some life left? (Like 6k miles or more, would hate to change halfway through a season lol)

I do not have a record of that being done so I will have to do that. Thank you
The rear sprocket doesn't look cupped nor do the teeth look thin. That can all change quickly if the chain slack isn't correct.