Iron Butt: Ride and Prep!

aggiehiker

Reaction score
Visit site
^^

Sounds like a good idea. I am throwing on a new set of rubber a week before I leave. I will be wearing a camel back to stay hydrated.

I am bringing a tool kit, chain lube, 2 oil filters and oil. A wire brush for the plugs. Also a new chain and and an extra sprocket. (The entire trip is over 10,000 miles)

I am going to get new tires put on in anchorage for the return trip home to Texas.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like fun! I'm not sure you need to cart around oil, or two oil filters for that matter. It's easy enough to find this stuff on the road (there are many filters that fit) and you really only need to change the oil once on a 10K trip if you do it right before you leave and run synthetic.

Be sure to check ALL fasteners carefully before you leave. This includes stuff like the headers, which tend to work themselves loose over time. You might also want to do a TB sync if you haven't lately. It'll cut down on the vibes.

Make a check of the radiator fan part of your daily routine. Lots of people seem to get rocks stuck in there and it can burn it out the motor if it gets stuck.

aggiehiker

Reaction score
Visit site
^^Thanks for the advice!

I have decided to only carry the oil filters and pick up oil along the way. I have always ran run Motul in my bikes, should I go synthetic? I thought there were some issues with full synthetic and Yamaha's wet clutch.

You weren't kidding about the filters either. The same one fits the sv and my friends Kawasaki 650r. I need to cut some stuff out, I am just nervous about getting stranded in the middle of no where.:eek:

Your bike and Iron Butt ride is what really helped motivate me for this trip. It is nice to get some great info from an accomplished IBA rider. I am trying to set up my FZ as an intercontinental sports tourer as well :)

A little over 3 days till I leave.

FuriousGeorge

Reaction score
Visit site
It's a really standard filter. My last car used the same one. There are Walmarts everywhere. Just stop in and get the $2.50 Supertech. :) Seems like too much trouble to pack them.

aggiehiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! I think I will pack them this time (gotta try out the GIVI e52 case lol) but it is nice to know I can get them at many places along the way.

I am so stoked about this ride. I was trying out the throttlemiester bar ends/cruise lock last night and they work brilliantly.

I need to change the plugs sometime today. I am at 9,000 miles so I bought some iridium NGKs.

Thanks to an amazing member of this board I just picked up an OEM belly pan. Going to modify it slightly to fit with my crash frame.

This is the best forum I post on. Everyone here seems to be nice, none of that online flame war crap that is prevalent at other sites. I have picked up several great deals and loads of great info.

Thanks again everyone!

Tapped Out

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going from Wenatchee WA, to Vernal UT tomorrow, about 950 miles, we'll see what the Odo reads when Im done, I hope to do it in about 14 Hrs. =)

AIrey1507

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going from Wenatchee WA, to Vernal UT tomorrow, about 950 miles, we'll see what the Odo reads when Im done, I hope to do it in about 14 Hrs. =)

For certification it will have to be a MAP distance of 1000+ miles (since nearly all motorcycle speedometers/odometers read a little high).

I think I'm going to try and get one in last-minute sometime in the next two weeks (before I start my junior year of college). I just picked up the FZ6 a few weeks ago. Wanted something to replace my 1995 Triumph Speed Triple that was better suited for touring. So I might as well use it how I intended.

Planning on going 100% stock. I did a 2.5 hour trip last week and the seat started getting to me but was doable. I'm going to order some LD tights or wear padded bicycle shorts, haven't decided yet. Will probably pick up a tail bag and throttle lock ahead of time too.

I'm doing a loop type route, starting and ending in Minneapolis, MN. I figured I'd have some fun with the route and see how many states I can hit in around 1000 miles. Total came to 7 states. In order of travel: MN, WI, IL, IA, NE, SD, ND then home. Here's the route I'm planning:
from:700 8th St SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414 to:43.92955,-91.241455 to:East Dubuque, IL to:South Sioux City, NE to:Fairmount, ND to:700 8th St SE, Minneapolis, MN 55414 - Google Maps

Last edited: