Is the 25k valve check not a big deal on these bikes?

Devourly

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm just wondering because mine has 27k and every shop I've called so far has told me they wouldn't bother with it. They ask if I'm having any trouble starting or idling, and when I say no they suggest not bothering with it. They did say they would do it if I want them to, they just all told me its unnecessary.

Am I surrounded by bad Yamaha shops or is it really no big deal?

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Seems to be most everyone that does it reports valves are in spec at 25K miles.
I did mine at 50k miles…a bit late… and a couple exhaust valves were barely out of spec.
So probably not a big deal if you wait. I would recommend researching and doing it yourself if possible…you end up learning so much about the bike.

K

kristoffersmith

I think it took me a little more than 2 hours the first time I measured my valves but I didn't know how to get to them. Its something I do every year because I have the tank off for one reason or another.

Devourly

Reaction score
Visit site
Well its good to know that the odds are my valves are okay for now. I'll probably spend the winter researching how to do the job and then try to do it myself at some point next season. I'm really quite confident doing pretty much anything on a car or bike. Its just, anything involving the actual workings of the motor make me nervous. I know how easy it is to make bad move.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Frankly, I don't trust most shops to do it.. Even IF they said they did it, who know's...

To check isn't difficult, adjusting, a bit more involved..

I bought a shim kit before digging into mine to save running around town, trying to find a shim..
Still WAY CHEAPER doing it yourself and you know it WAS indeed checked/adjusted correctly..

I had one exhaust valve .001" too tight which I did re-shim back into tolerance..

PauliusD

Reaction score
Visit site
I did mine a week ago at around 35k miles. Still in spec, but on the tighter side. I am pretty sure the valves have never been checked on my FZ6.