Knowing when NOT to pass!

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
A little instinct and lots of common sense goes a long way. I generally think passing a large tractor trailer on the right is kind of a dumbass move to begin with

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Lucky guy..

When I pass a vehicle in either lane(same direction), I do it quickly and do NOT want to be in the blind spot. Your MOST vulnerable then..

I don't see any issues passing in the right lane (perfectly legal), just crank up the throttle and get past him..
Semi's often loose re-tread tires which is SUPER dangerous... I keep as far as I can from them...

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I hear what you say Scott and I agree, sometimes you just have to pass on the right. I would have dropped back and observed for a little bit. Most of the time trucks end up getting over to the right.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I hear what you say Scott and I agree, sometimes you just have to pass on the right. I would have dropped back and observed for a little bit. Most of the time trucks end up getting over to the right.

Yep, their supposed to move to the right. That truck wasn't passing any slow vehicles.

The bike may have been back for awhile...

My point, preferably get ahead of that truck ASAP (just to avoid anything), or back off a whole bunch. Fortunately, the bike just had enough time to avoid would could have been deadly...

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ya, never stick around on anything but a mild turn no matter what your on/in. Just not worth the risk.

Then you see these fools pace them for miles in the rain or other bad/any conditions. I lay back until I can make a swift pass (left or right) and get the h%ll clear of them.

Now if you ever smell tire rubber and its not from a brake check skid, stay way away, when those blow, they'll take you out!

Last big truck warning - this mainly comes from new road construction and logging: anytime you get behind an axle with dual rear wheels, look between the two pairs of tires for trapped rocks. At low speed, worst case is it comes out and you have a rock to avoid. At higher speeds (20 mph?) and you have a 20lb ballistic rock that will fly out and kill you!
They do a lot of logging in these parts and I've seen that happen way too many times.

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
That video was shot in a country where they drive on the left. In South Africa we generally never pass on the left for the same reasons you never pass on the right in the USA.

Sent from my SM-A605FN using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Notice no one stopped to see if driver okay.

Actually, both the biker and the truck DID stop (the bike turned around) slightly further down the road, both pulled off to the left side of the roadway..

It's half ways thru the video.

Also, notice one of the trucks right rear tires blow out as it was tipping