Lane Splitting 101

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
We as members should try to initiate legalizing, or the correct term would be to make lane splitting permissable in our respective states, except Ca of course. I for one will be looking into on how to get this ball rolling. Any ideas for starters, what do I need to do first? I'm not too knowledgeable about putting things on the ballot.

Traffic around here near or along the strip every weekend, you pretty much have to do it. I did it last Saturday night in front of motorpatrol cop who was giving a ticket on the left side of the roadway on the strip. And sure enough, when there was a gap, a cab tried to occupy the spot but fortuanately, the left turn lane just began and I just shot into that lane, but I was plan on making a left anyway. But like so many other members have mentioned, you have to be extra careful when there are gaps in the traffic as it's an invitation for a cager to move on in.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You must not encounter much traffic in the Midwest. At least the traffic on this video were moving, unlike some freeways where you aren't!

Yea, a few weeks ago I drove the loop around DC on a Friday evening and it was hell. I drive on the freeway a good deal, and luckily there aren't enough people to really clog it up around here. I don't think I would enjoy dealing with that traffic on a daily basis unless I only had to go a mile or less.

H

HavBlue

We as members should try to initiate legalizing, or the correct term would be to make lane splitting permissable in our respective states, except Ca of course. I for one will be looking into on how to get this ball rolling. Any ideas for starters, what do I need to do first? I'm not too knowledgeable about putting things on the ballot.

Traffic around here near or along the strip every weekend, you pretty much have to do it. I did it last Saturday night in front of motorpatrol cop who was giving a ticket on the left side of the roadway on the strip. And sure enough, when there was a gap, a cab tried to occupy the spot but fortuanately, the left turn lane just began and I just shot into that lane, but I was plan on making a left anyway. But like so many other members have mentioned, you have to be extra careful when there are gaps in the traffic as it's an invitation for a cager to move on in.

Talk to your local Congressman. You can go on line and determine which district you are in. You will also want to write up a petition and start getting signatures from other folks just be sure to ask if they are registered voters. The Congressman will then (if he finds there are enough people wanting it, there is a need for it and so on) take it before the House and who knows from there as it could take years. Be sue you define it as "permissible" as opposed to legal as there is a huge difference and the State would therefore have no real liability. You can use the California set up as a guide. Do some research and determine how many countries allow it as well. There are roughly 38 million people in California with well over 20 million registered drivers so if they can do it why can't those of us in other states? You must also understand there are riders who think splitting is flat nuts and to them I must saw "get some skills" because that gap is real safe as long as it is used properly.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent video except the rider was going WAY too slow, riding way too cautiously. There's no reason why you can't improve on that time. But hey, it's a start. Who was the rider anyway, some geezer/grandpa type? Geesh. Everybody knows that you have to have far faster reflexes than the rider displayed in the video....in order to survive on some CA freeways.

Last edited:

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
I think that video was speeded up looking at how cars were changing lanes.

Braking distance is the most important thing for me until I am able to swerve out of swervers with confidence.