LED Headlights Relay needed?

RoadGator

Reaction score
Visit site
I am about to put on 2 27W LED headlights. These things are Super bright. I wonder if I need a relay or if i can just use the stock wires and tap into them. I am also wondering if I could put a dimmer switch on them? I never put a relay on the ones I used on my truck but went right to the battery and had a switch in the cab. That was it. It does not seem that I would but better ask and feel stupid rather than be sorry I didn't and mad.

I was also Thinking of doing 2 13w lights and one 36w bar...Thoughts? The current draw of the 2 round ones are 2.25A@12V

I will also be using LED blinkers on the front as I got rid of the ones in back and use an integrated one with the tail light and did a flasher relay there.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You can run those LED headlights on the stock headlamp wiring with no problem. The stock headlamps use 55 to 65 watts so your LED headlamp 27 watt rating is well under that and your good. :)

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Direct off the OEM source is fine (H1 & H7 plugs). I'd use an actual adapter vs cutting off the stock lighting ends Should you wish to restore the OEM harness.

As for dimming them you need to contact the manufacturer as some devices are couple through electronics which do not allow reduced input. That said, you likely need a PWM circuit and a capacitor to stabilize the DC output.

As for your truck; its best to limit energy potential into the cab by using fuses for both power souces. Say a 5
Amp fuse to run through your switch to relay under the hzood. The relay handles the load instead of the switch and the energy from the battery to the relay is fused with something suitable for the LEDs. Ask if you want some help. Anything is better than a car fire.

RoadGator

Reaction score
Visit site
OK lights will be here tomorrow. So after looking at countless photos I have not seen what people did with the wires to hide them. Mine does not look like they can go into the frame and I can't seem to get my big hands in there to pull it. What to do?

20160117_172236.jpg
20160117_172243.jpg

RoadGator

Reaction score
Visit site
So I pulled the airbox and the battery box. I was able to get the wires but man is it a pain to get the battery box to go back! Can I just leave it out?

****edit****

So I took out the battery box all the way good thing I did as the replacement battery was bigger than the original. Managed to get everything back together and all is good now. Just waiting on the lights so I can get them hooked up.

Last edited: