LED mirrors won't flash

InfiniteUniverse

Reaction score
Visit site
2009 FZ6

Hi I hope y'all can see something I don't. I bought this bike with some older LED mirrors installed, but they were ugly and missing a mirror on the left. The indicators worked though.

Bought 2 new ones and installed a 6 ohm 50w load resistor in-line the positive wires for both. I can tell they are getting power, as the REAR signals are stock, and they flash slower when the fronts are plugged in. Faster when I unplug both.

What am I missing? I can provide pics if necessary.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Always start with the easy stuff. First, test them directly to a battery so you can determine if it is the mirror or the wiring. If they are good, make sure you have connected them correctly, hot to hot and ground to ground. Diodes by design block current flow if wired backwards.

@Motogiro may correct me here, but regarding the resistor, I believe that if you wire it in series it is current limiting, not loading. You wire in series to protect the LED from burning out, but this will have no impact on the flash rate.

Guessing here, but if they are well designed and intended for a 12v circuit, they likely need no current limiting. If you are trying to correct for the very fast flash rate typical of LEDs with an incandescent flasher relay, the resistor needs to be in parallel with the LED (hot to ground) it increase the load that the relay sees.

InfiniteUniverse

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for this speedy reply! After another inspection I realised my problem. The bracketry that comes with the mirrors does not have a hole for the wire to get through, and I was simply crushing the two together against the fairing. And a bolt was completing the circuit between the hot and ground. This should have been obvious but I just didn't see it.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site