Loading a bike into a tuck or trailer

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I will be taking my bike to a track this year and have read some good advice on this forum about not riding to the track as you will have more energy to enjoy the day.
I have never put a bike on a trailer or in a van. Some of you have experience in doing this. Please share it with me and if you got any pictures that would be great to.

Neil

Last edited:

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not very helpful but...

Plumber was doing our bathroom and was there for a few days. I would be playing, sorry working, on me bikes in the garage, I had a small 125 SM style bike I had used to get my bike legs back some years ago. I wanted to get rid of it but had not done anything about it. I mentioned this to the guy in passing, he said that he was interested. So a deal was struck and a discount on the work he was doing obtained.

So to get it in his van we put a plank of wood up the back of the van onto the bumper I started the bike up and pushed it up the ramp till it got to the bumper and then used the engine power to get over the step while he dragged it in from the van and lent it against his stuff.

So a plank of wood and brute force then.:thumbup:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
just try to load it from a hill to keep the angle of the ramp lower, and for petes sakes don;t stop the bike while it is on it's way up the ramp... if you stop then it is easier to lose balance, also if you can get 2 ramps, one for the bike and one for you to walk up so that you are always on the same level as the bike.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Here's how I load bikes without any additional help into my 95 Nissan truck. It's a 2wd so it's nice and low to the ground. Some trucks may not be this easy, but that's the fault of the owners for buying the 13" lift kit!:)

First, park the truck so that the back wheels are in a ditch or low spot. It'll help a lot.

Your ramp should have a safety cable that connects to the truck. With the safety cable in place, it should be impossible for you to pull the ramp backwards and have it come off of the tailgate of the truck. This is important, since you'll be using the bike's engine to drive the bike up the ramp. The rear wheel will try and kick the ramp backwards.

So, with the bike running, stand on the left side of it and put it into 1st gear. Let out the clutch and ride/walk the bike up the ramp.

You'll have to stop when your knees are about to hit the tailgate. No problem. Pull in the clutch, squeeze the front brakes, and climb up into the truck bed by first putting your knees up on the tailgate, and then standing up.
Now keep driving the bike forward until it's all the way on the truck.

As far as tying it down, you want at least four straps holding the bike down. Two in front, two in back.

Attach the straps to the bike's frame in the back, and to the handlebars or even better, the tripleclamps in the front. With the FZ6 fairing it's a little tricky to get the straps in position where they won't rub the fairing. Try running the right front strap to the left fork tube above the lower tripleclamp, and vice versa for the left strap. Always make sure that your straps are not pinching any wiring. And secure the loose ends of the strap unless you want your paint to take a beating.

Don't be afraid to crank those straps down. You want to compress the suspension some. Once you're done, the bike should be standing vertically on both wheels, and rocking the bike from side to side should move the entire truck.

Lastly load the ramp and strap it into place so it won't rattle around and beat up your wheels.

Have fun at the track!

Fred

H

HavBlue

Here's how I load bikes without any additional help into my 95 Nissan truck. It's a 2wd so it's nice and low to the ground. Some trucks may not be this easy, but that's the fault of the owners for buying the 13" lift kit!:)

First, park the truck so that the back wheels are in a ditch or low spot. It'll help a lot.

Your ramp should have a safety cable that connects to the truck. With the safety cable in place, it should be impossible for you to pull the ramp backwards and have it come off of the tailgate of the truck. This is important, since you'll be using the bike's engine to drive the bike up the ramp. The rear wheel will try and kick the ramp backwards.

So, with the bike running, stand on the left side of it and put it into 1st gear. Let out the clutch and ride/walk the bike up the ramp.

You'll have to stop when your knees are about to hit the tailgate. No problem. Pull in the clutch, squeeze the front brakes, and climb up into the truck bed by first putting your knees up on the tailgate, and then standing up.

As far as tying it down, you want at least four straps holding the bike down. Two in front, two in back.

Attach the straps to the bike's frame in the back, and to the handlebars or even better, the tripleclamps in the front. With the FZ6 fairing it's a little tricky to get the straps in position where they won't rub the fairing. Try running the right front strap to the left fork tube above the lower tripleclamp, and vice versa for the left strap. Always make sure that your straps are not pinching any wiring. And secure the loose ends of the strap unless you want your paint to take a beating.

Don't be afraid to crank those straps down. You want to compress the suspension some. Once you're done, the bike should be standing vertically on both wheels, and rocking the bike from side to side should move the entire truck.

Lastly load the ramp and strap it into place so it won't rattle around and beat up your wheels.

Have fun at the track!

Fred

Dude, ride the bike up the ramp. You can ride it down the street and not vary your line more than 12" so why would you not be able to do the same on a ramp? Anyway you look at it loading a bike while riding is just a controlled crash anyway.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Fred, good advice.

HavBlue, if you can't put your feet down at all times, I would not recommend riding it onto the truck. Although I've been tempted, this would not be a good option for me.

I have a 4x4 tacoma, so the height is more of an issue. I use a very wide 4' x 6' ATV ramp in conjuction with a 6' 2x12 board to load my street bike by myself and without engine power. I can push my dirtbike up on flat ground without the board (db has more clearance too).

I generally lock the steering column and place the front wheel against the back of the bed and with the bike in gear...it won't go anywhere this way.

Last edited:
S

sportrider

Fred
+1 that's how I do it

http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-s/517-how-tie-down-bike-pics.html

as far as riding it up the ramp: I used to load my dirt bikes like that, but my CR250 only weighed 215lbs. and if I dropped it, it wouldn't do hundreds of dollars in damage. I still use my moto ramp to load the FZ into the truck. it's not rated for that much weight but it has held up good so far.
another option for getting your bike into the truck is. if you have some buddys(three) handy you can lift it into the truck, I have loaded my bike this way too.
1. line the bike up with the trucks tailgate as close as you can get it, lift the front end by the botton of the fork legs and the handle bars (one person on each side) put the front tire on the tailgate. have someone get in the truck and stabilize the bike.
2. lift the tail into the bike, by the swing arm. once you have the tail high enough walk the bike into the truck.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HavBlue

Guys, as mentioned above, it's that balls factor. You may be loading a 2 to 4 hundred pound bike but why is it folks with a 6 to 8 hundred pound bike ride it up the ramp not having the ability to touch the ground and they don't seem to have a problem. Yeah, and that bike they are loading costs 4 times as much as the bikes you are putting in. I know, it's just that Harley riders got no brains right? Maybe not but we apparently have some big balls....... snicker snicker....

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
*rolling my eyes*

Loading a low and heavy cruiser onto a trailer to go to sturgis is much different than loading a sportbike onto a 4x4 truck after dragging your knee for 250 miles / 8 hours in 90 degree heat.

I prefer the slow but sure/safe method.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you

Thanks guys,
Its been very useful, I will have to hire a van (Transit) the rear is about 2 1/2 foot from the floor. Walking next to the bike is not an option for me with one ramp. I like the idea of two ramps. I am to short to hold the bars straight and use the clutch and brake.
Will the engine have enough power in it just to idle up the ramp?
I would not wish to ride up into the back as there is also minimal headroom clearence from the floor to the top of the door.
The advice about tying down was useful to.
Genrally is it easier to get the bike in the back or, out of the back?

Neil

Last edited:
S

sportrider

this is the only way to load a bike in a van!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8XiUuN-0v8&NR=1"]YouTube - Loading a bike[/ame]

in all seriousness it can be done.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRKN2iTUsCk"]YouTube - LOADING IT UP[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
It won't idle up. Just grab a 1/4 throttle and use the clutch to lay on the power.

Nice videos, Sportrider. I just see too much of a potential down side...not worth it to me.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkQYYBOrRNk&feature=related"]YouTube - How Not To Load A Motorcycle[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_j7CVgeTo0&feature=related"]YouTube - KTM Crashes into back of 93 Dodge[/ame]
________

Last edited:

F250moto

Reaction score
Visit site
I have loaded many bikes in the back of my truck (slightly lifted F250). I put my ramp up and put a step on one side. Just go nice and slow and you'll be fine. When you tie it down, don't do anything difficult or tricky. Just tie to the lower tripple clamps (right to right, left to left) and add a little pressure. If you crank them down for all your worth, you most likely will be replacing fork seals real soon. On my dirtbikes I use a fork saver, goes in between the tire and triple clamp and stops the forks from bottoming. DO NOT RIDE YOUR BIKE UP THE RAMP! It is unsafe and stupid.

Reaction score
Visit site
I use a small 5x8 trailer with a fold down ramp. I used to think it would be less trouble using my truck and not having to mess with a trailer, but after loading ATV's and bikes in both, I would never go back to using my truck unless I just had to. The trailer is much easier.

Regardless of what you use, be careful tightening your tie downs, especially if you tie to the handlebars. I have bent two handlebars by tying to the grips and cinching them down too tight with ratcheting tie downs. I would not fully compress the front suspension.

I also recommend a front tire chock if you are going to be loading by yourself. I built one for my trailer. I just drive the bike into it and get off. The bike stays upright and stable with no kick stand. Tie downs can then be put on and symmetrically tightened without any difficulty.