Loading a bike into a tuck or trailer

mikw73

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
^ Having seen it in person, I can confirm that wrlomas' setup is indeed pretty sweet. The only things I could think to add are a jacuzzi and a staff masseuse for the ultimate biking/touring machine. :)

ckrockets

Reaction score
Visit site
Ready Ramp

Retractable Tie Downs and Ratchet Straps || SmartStraps®

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Loop-Tie-Down-Straps/dp/B002MYLB1Y/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1342148345&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=soft+tie+downs]Amazon.com: (4) Soft Loop Tie-Down Straps: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

IMAG0047a.jpg

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 for the hitch carrier. I can load my bike up alone easily in this thing.

bikecarrier.jpg

I also upgraded and bought a 5x10 trailer last year as well.

trailer4.jpg

ckrockets

Reaction score
Visit site
I've literally owned a half a dozen different ramps trying to find the best one.

The Ready Ramp is hands down the best ramp you can buy...nothing really comes close.

image.php

You can use a cooler to step up on as you load the bike.

I use something like this...

thumbnail.aspx

Just make sure it won't move when you step up on it.

I've loaded my bikes at least 50+ times using the ready ramp no problem...and I do it completely by myself....but it always feels better having someone standing on the other side of the bike as you load just in case something were to happen...

Another piece of advice run a strap from the round rung at the top pivot point to your hitch/bumper this will pull the ramp tight against the tail gate and it will not budge...especially critical when unloading....

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
++++ This is how it's done!!!
Plus you'll be set to convert the bike to naked if it did having a fairing! lol

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2EfBPgwi8E]Top 10 Bike Fails Loading Unloading - YouTube[/ame]

Seriously, pushing and walking it up is is best. But if you must power it up, lots of clutch slippage and control at SLOW SPEED!

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
if it's wet, and the ramp is slippy then some (skateboard) grip tape, or a friend to help push work best

i have a front wheel chock on mine which helps immensely

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
Most ramps I have used with my fz6 cause the exhaust to rub a little right as the exhaust goes from the ramp to the tailgate. If you are ready for it it is not to hard to lift a little and get past that but if you are not expecting that it can cause bad results. A longer ramp will prevent this

Sent from my Droid RAZR Maxx HD

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Big, wide ramp and ride it in!

I can't believe that I never posted to this thread, but here's a picture showing how I used to load my bike into my Chevy Silverado. The picture was taken back in 2004 at the only track day that I ever did with the FZ6. (At Pocono Raceway with the now defunct REDUC organization.)

I bought a tri-fold ramp, put plywood in the outside sections (there is a slot for this) and added friction tape to both the center rungs and the wood. The ramp has chains which attach to the sides of the truck (tailgate latch posts) to keep it from sliding. Before I put the wood in, I was always scared that I'd catch my foot in a hole! And without the grip tape, it was rather slippery in the morning dew.

The truck bed has a speedliner sprayed in, which keeps it from being slippery as it was before. I use six tie downs at various places (four in front, two in back), all attached with nylon hook straps to the bike. I'm careful not to tighten down the suspension too much with the two straps on the bars.

To get a better angle for loading into my tall truck, I put the front of the truck up on rhino ramps and put a piece of wood under the bottom of the ramp. It's still a bit nerve-racking to ride up and down, but I do it. I usually try to find a hill to back to to, which makes it a lot easier to get in and out, but there's not always a suitable hill around as seen here.

I haven't had to load my bike for years, since I haven't done any track days with 2004. :(

I'd much prefer a trailer, or at least a truck that wasn't as high as my Silverado....

davisj35

Reaction score
Visit site
The internet has taught me...
- always video record...could be highly entertaining later
- avoid riding the bike into van. variables such as speed, momentum, BAC, throttle control, balance, etc may be working against you
- have a buddy help you
- the ramp often will be the death of you and or bike. Especially if not attached to van. make sure your ramp is sturdy, more then 8in wide, and if possible attach the end to the van
- load with an empty tank to reduce center of gravity

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I prefer doing the trailer as I can easily get two bikes on it (shown is an FJR and Goldwing).

The suspension is from Northern, the rest is homemade/designed with 3/16" box steel (extremely strong).

For the loading ramp is a channel bent and then the center DRILLED so the tires won't slip going up or down.
The rack stores under the frame, slides in over rollers, then LOCKS into place.

The actual racks, besdies being bent and welded at the end(one piece), also have a heavy chain welded on the
rack so the front wheel can be locked to the trailer easily.

The front cross member has 5/8" holes every two inches for tie downs.

And as noted above, the loading ramp has two 1/2" hooks (welded to each end that slip into the rack-it's not going anywhere)

One ramp can be removed and the other centered if only pulling one bike as well....

Last edited:

gtosteve65

Reaction score
Visit site
So I need some advice...

I have been loading my 82 seca in and out of my '16 F150 all the time by myself and had no issues. I actually built "bumper" ramps for it (like in bumper bowling) which means I dont have to watch the tires because there is no way it can fall off the ramp.

2 months ago I tried with the 08 FZ6. It was a failure. Halfway up the ramp humpty dumpty and I fell to the right (I was on the left side of the bike so it fell away from me with me holding on till the last second trying to recover). Looking back there were 2 reasons why I struggled which I need some collective help figuring out what to do.

First, my handlebar height. My Seca is a cafe racer and the bars are slammed., the FZ6 has stock bars which when going up the ramp are almost in my chest (Im 5'9). Made it hard to control and I think I lost a lot of stability.
Secondly my clutch is like a racing clutch... its either on or off, not much feathering. Maybe its worn out???? I got 22k on it. The seca clutch is featherable through almost the whole pull.

Any suggestions on what I can do to not fall again. I am doing another trip in a month and would prefer to not need a trailer.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Your description of the clutch is normal...

You can replace the LOWER clutch lever(literally above the clutch cover) with an FZ-07 lever. It spreads out the engagement range and softens the pull a bit..

Your BIKE ramp sounds fine.

I think I would make another ramp (2 x 8 plank or aluminum ramp) for YOU to walk up on adjacent to the bike. Some sort of attachment to the tailgate (hole with a bolt sticking thru the ramp into the gate)..

I would still have another person simply to at least hand tie down straps, etc as your setting up. It's way to easy to dump the bike at that time..

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Your description of the clutch is normal...
I agree. That's the standard feel of the FZ6 clutch....

You can replace the LOWER clutch lever(literally above the clutch cover) with an FZ-07 lever. It spreads out the engagement range and softens the pull a bit..

Now that I didn't know about! I've been out of the FZ6 scene for a while, and I remember somebody that used to customize the stock lower lever via welding. Great to hear there's a stock lever we can buy. I will have to look into this! Do you have the link to a thread that will tell me what part to buy?

Your BIKE ramp sounds fine.

I think I would make another ramp (2 x 8 plank or aluminum ramp) for YOU to walk up on adjacent to the bike. Some sort of attachment to the tailgate (hole with a bolt sticking thru the ramp into the gate)..

I would still have another person simply to at least hand tie down straps, etc as your setting up. It's way to easy to dump the bike at that time..

I have a triple wide, fold out ramp, like somebody else in this thread posted a picture of. I had a picture too, but it doesn't seem to appear in my post now. I put plywood in the left and right sections of the ramp, leaving rungs in the center only, and putting grip tape on the rungs, and on the plywood. (I learned my lesson after trying to load when it was raining....) And always attach the top of the ramp to the truck with chains or cables!

That said, I'm somewhat older now, and probably wouldn't ride up into and out of the back of my truck by myself any more, unless I really had to. I always looked for a hill to back up to, in order to reduce the rise of the ramp, and that always made it feel a lot safer.

Trailers are the way to go, but I don't have one. When I got my dad's 1977 Gold Wing two years ago, I rented a u-haul to tow it the 300 miles, as I wasn't going to try to ride that thing into the back of my truck!

gtosteve65

Reaction score
Visit site
I am definitely getting that lever off an FZ07! I think just to have more clutch control will do me wonders. I have always liked the clutch on my Seca more than the FZ6.

I do have another ramp that I walk up next to. Both ramps are 2X8s, just one of them having 2X4 bumpers attached on both sides. The bike ramp I put a eye bolt on which then gets ratchet strapped to my hitch. It works amazing for the Seca... even did a ninja 300 and had no issues. But the Fz6 is just a challenge for me. Also it doesn't help being 5'9 and only 145lbs.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's the part # and price from Partzilla from 3-25-18 when I bought and put it on mine:

1WS-16340-00-00 - PUSH LEVER ASSY $13.48 Now a little more: https://www.partzilla.com/search?q=1WS-16340-00-00+

And yes, it's basically the same as the "modded kit" but factory. There is no modding to the static mount.

I put it on and didn't like it. Too much room for engagement, harder to shift fast, etc.

I'll keep it under "dust" should I have an issue "clutching" as I get older..

Now on my own home built trailer (certainly not as high as a PU bed), I would stand along the left side the bike, gently slip the clutch while using the front brake. I could easily motor it up but would NEVER try riding it up. You do have to be proficient with the clutch / ft brake.. Too much to go wrong.

Current trailer (with updates)

FJR and Goldwing (on previous trailer I made) :

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also, if there's a culvert next to the roadway(not too deep), get the back wheels of the PU in there.

Then with you ramp mounted, your NOT going nearly "uphill" as if on flat ground.

I've done this moving heavy generators, etc, by myself, WAY EASIER and safer

gtosteve65

Reaction score
Visit site
I am thinking of building a little hill in my backyard, as that would work well to reduce the angle. Maybe once I get used to doing it a few times it will be as easy as the Seca. But I just dont want to fall again as that was not a cheap repair. :spank:

BestBroseph

Reaction score
Visit site
go to harbor freight and pick up some mower ramps for a pickup. put the pickups back wheels in a depression, dont have to but makes it safer and less scary, dont wanna bang up your exhaust. just get a decent rolling start and ride it up