Looking at buying an 05 FZ6

jtsharps

Reaction score
Visit site
OK so here's my story. My current lineup of bikes is a 2007 GSXR1000, 14 KTM RC8r 1190, & a Honda CRF250L. I was/am totally happy with that lineup and was not interested at all in (well I'm always interested in adding bikes to the garage but...you know) adding any bikes to my garage...until my buddy offered me his 2000 SuperHawk for reeeeaaaaally cheap. Kind of a dumb not to do it kind of thing. Well I started looking into other bikes in the naked sport category and the FZ6 really caught my eye. I checked with a dealer that has an 05 and they offered me $500 more than what I'm paying for the bike that my buddy has for trade (& I don't even own the bike yet, haha). So as far as I'm concerned, it's win/win/win here. My buddy gets rid of his bike, I make some good money on it and get what I really want, & the dealer makes a sale! What brings me here is my question of what I'm looking for from the FZ. What I want, since I already have my sportbikes for aggressive type riding, I'm looking for something that will sit more upright and something that my wife will actually be comfy on as a passenger. Not that she likes going riding with me and not that I like taking her most of the time but it'd be nice to get out together from time to time. I thought about adding a top case with a back rest too for more comfort for her. I want a bike that'll get up and go & still be fun, but be more comfy for both her and I & maybe do a little traveling on it as well. My budget is quite small for this so FZ1 & the newer FZ's are out of the question. So, current owners of the FZ6, will this bike do what I'm looking for?

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '05 as well. This bike will do what you are asking, except maybe for the "comfy" part for the passenger. I mean, it's not a huge bike, and the passenger section of the seat is pretty basic. Having said that, my GF doesn't mind riding back there. I have the top case with backrest, and it works out well. As for the bike itself, you do sit upright, and it has the "get up and go" that you're looking for. Quick and nimble in the twisties. There are some quirks to get used to (clunky gear changing, snappy throttle) but overall the perfect "do almost anything" bike.

Hope this helps! Sounds like you know your bikes, but this forum is an excellent source for any mods/maintenance you need to do on the FZ6.

Naked Stella

Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=27708]jtsharps[/MENTION] .. I came from a CBR929RR to an FZ6, so I know what it's like to down grade. It is a very nimble bike compared to the older (2003) gsxr 600's and definitely more nimble than my 929... But it's obviously lighter. Also I can say that my wife rode with me on my CBR600F4i, 929 and a few times on my FZ6. She says it's more comfortable. As we all know the sportbike passenger seats have hardly anything there and those type of bikes aren't really designed with the passenger in mind... I think the banana type seat helps with the comfort, there is just more there to actually sit on. I will say that the FZ6 will get up and go once you hit 10-12K RPM's... Also once you're up and going once you hit 110-120 the speedometer slowly goes up... It's not like the R6 where as once you hit 150mph is slowly builds speed, again the FZ6 isn't built to hit those speeds. Overall the FZ is a solid bike.. Amazing mileage even when you dog it out, nimble and quick once you get it above 10K RPMs, and it's a LOT more comfortable than the sportbikes. This is just my two cents.

jtsharps

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '05 as well. This bike will do what you are asking, except maybe for the "comfy" part for the passenger. I mean, it's not a huge bike, and the passenger section of the seat is pretty basic. Having said that, my GF doesn't mind riding back there. I have the top case with backrest, and it works out well. As for the bike itself, you do sit upright, and it has the "get up and go" that you're looking for. Quick and nimble in the twisties. There are some quirks to get used to (clunky gear changing, snappy throttle) but overall the perfect "do almost anything" bike.

Hope this helps! Sounds like you know your bikes, but this forum is an excellent source for any mods/maintenance you need to do on the FZ6.

Thanks for the info. I plan to hit that topcase w backrest up as well to make it even more comfy for her. After riding on the sportbikes, it'll be comfy I'm sure. But she'll still find something to complain about. LOL! I figure the only that that'd be the issue is the actual seat, like you said. I've looked at some after market seats and damn, not cheap! We'll see how it goes when the time comes.

jtsharps

Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=27708]jtsharps[/MENTION] .. I came from a CBR929RR to an FZ6, so I know what it's like to down grade. It is a very nimble bike compared to the older (2003) gsxr 600's and definitely more nimble than my 929... But it's obviously lighter. Also I can say that my wife rode with me on my CBR600F4i, 929 and a few times on my FZ6. She says it's more comfortable. As we all know the sportbike passenger seats have hardly anything there and those type of bikes aren't really designed with the passenger in mind... I think the banana type seat helps with the comfort, there is just more there to actually sit on. I will say that the FZ6 will get up and go once you hit 10-12K RPM's... Also once you're up and going once you hit 110-120 the speedometer slowly goes up... It's not like the R6 where as once you hit 150mph is slowly builds speed, again the FZ6 isn't built to hit those speeds. Overall the FZ is a solid bike.. Amazing mileage even when you dog it out, nimble and quick once you get it above 10K RPMs, and it's a LOT more comfortable than the sportbikes. This is just my two cents.

Thanks for the advice, from someone going from sportbikes to the FZ. That's pretty much what I figured, what you're saying. I don't have plans to get that bike up to triple digit speeds all that much...buy hey you never know. Like I said before, it will definitely be more comfy than the sportbike for the wife, there's no way it can be any less, esp if I get that backrest on there.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Second gear will get you close to triple digits and with the wife on the back, and if not careful, the front end will come up..

As noted above, its a great all around bike, tame in lower RPM's, does good in the higher RPM's. Handles very well. Being semi naked, MUCH easier to
work on (basic maintenance is about all that's needed, very solid bike)

Put some after market pipes on it, its a compleatly different bike. Very comfy for the driver and the rear seat is much more comfy
than the newer, tiny and hard seats. You can always get the seat modded as well for more comfort for about $100 at Spencers:
Page 1

jtsharps

Reaction score
Visit site
Second gear will get you close to triple digits and with the wife on the back, and if not careful, the front end will come up..

As noted above, its a great all around bike, tame in lower RPM's, does good in the higher RPM's. Handles very well. Being semi naked, MUCH easier to
work on (basic maintenance is about all that's needed, very solid bike)

Put some after market pipes on it, its a compleatly different bike. Very comfy for the driver and the rear seat is much more comfy
than the newer, tiny and hard seats. You can always get the seat modded as well for more comfort for about $100 at Spencers:
Page 1

It sounds more and more like the FZ6 is exactly what I'm looking for. I can't wait to start doing some serious shopping in a couple weeks. When it comes to bikes, patience is not my strong point. Just like adding an exaust to a new bike. I try to convince myself to wait a bit (usually due to cost) but that usually lasts about 10 miles down the road. I've already started researching some after market options. I love the undertail exhaust and have always wanted to do that to my bikes.

Thanks for the seat mod link too. I'm going to seriously look into that, for my current bikes too.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 5' 8", probably way older than you and don't do the lay down/sport thing (hate push ups!).

I put risers / set backs for the handlebars, still a little bit of lean but I can ride all day W/O wrist/arm issues.

I used to have 3 bikes (at once) and sold all but this one as its my favorite. I did mod the seat (Spencers),
mount a rack on the back (for utility purposes) and with a passenger, their pretty comfy and don't have to lean forward
to hold on to me...

jtsharps

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 5' 8", probably way older than you and don't do the lay down/sport thing (hate push ups!).

I put risers / set backs for the handlebars, still a little bit of lean but I can ride all day W/O wrist/arm issues.

I used to have 3 bikes (at once) and sold all but this one as its my favorite. I did mod the seat (Spencers),
mount a rack on the back (for utility purposes) and with a passenger, their pretty comfy and don't have to lean forward
to hold on to me...

Sounds like just the bike I'm looking for! Thanks so much for the input!