Looking for the unicorn: The PUIG Belly Pan

UpInTheAir89

Reaction score
Visit site
I can still find them for sale at a few international locations, but for nothing less than $260 (after shipping). Figured I'd ask around here and see if I might get lucky with someone looking to part with one!

I know there are others I could get, but nothing looks as good on the naked FZ6 to my eyes.

It's probably a lost cause, but a boy can dream.

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
I can still find them for sale at a few international locations, but for nothing less than $260 (after shipping). Figured I'd ask around here and see if I might get lucky with someone looking to part with one!

I know there are others I could get, but nothing looks as good on the naked FZ6 to my eyes.

It's probably a lost cause, but a boy can dream.

I too really liked the Puig (especially how "pointy" it is), but in the end, settled for the Italmoto one. I had a hard time justifying the insane price for a stupid bellypan. Hard to beat $80 shipped! Here it is on my '05 naked:

0gyzngg.jpg

jpAjcfY.jpg

gmfGkwH.jpg

M8kz3Uc.jpg

kpbRm2P.jpg

kKvQW2S.jpg

UpInTheAir89

Reaction score
Visit site
That is one clean looking bike.

Two questions:
1) how did you get that frame looking such a deep and shiny black?
2) where did you find your belly pan? That's actually the most attractive alternative I've seen, also, how's the build quality?

Edit: also, which headlight/headlight kit is that?

Last edited:

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
That is one clean looking bike.

Two questions:
1) how did you get that frame looking such a deep and shiny black?
2) where did you find your belly pan? That's actually the most attractive alternative I've seen, also, how's the build quality?

Edit: also, which headlight/headlight kit is that?

Thanks!

1) I painted the frame/engine semi-gloss black a few months ago. Used Rustoleum engine temp paint (500 degrees). Used high-temp 1200 degree flat black on the header pipes. This is the bike when I bought it:

wpLUHbT.jpg

2) This is the bellypan I bought. Had to fabricate custom brackets for it (I used these, they're stainless but I painted them black to match) but was pretty simple. The build quality is actually really nice. Very smooth and ready to prime/paint, no sanding needed. It is fiberglass, so that's kind of a bummer (only because it can crack with road debris/rocks flying at it), but the mounting holes are reinforced with carbon fiber fabric, so that's reassuring. If you order both the bellypan and brackets, message the seller and ask him to combine shipping, and he'll send you a refund.

The headlight is an FZ1N headlight that I completely disassembled and built back up with custom internals. I painted the inside reflector housing and outer housing black, then fitted a 4" halo + LED fog light that was actually intended for a Jeep. It is insanely bright. I opted not to fit the accent lights above the main beam. Sorry for the dirt on the headlight in these pics, but give you an idea of the look:

GOYfy4t.jpg

SVmyrPP.jpg

UpInTheAir89

Reaction score
Visit site
You may have just started me down a dangerous path with the painting of the engine/frame (though, I might decide to do a ceramic coating instead, as I'm already going to do so for the exhaust). I'll need to find out if ceramic can get that nice glossy finish though...

Then again, yours also looks fantastic as a simple paint. Decisions decisions... You didn't happen to take any pictures along the way with the painting, did you?

As for the belly pan, was the extent of the fabrication on the mounting pieces just drilling holes for the bolts and cutting off the excess? Also, do you happen to know if the S1 belly pans fit on the S2 series? As to my knowledge, There is only a slight pitch different on the angles of the headers, but I think everything else should line up correctly, right?

(I have a 2009, and would want to make sure before I threw in an order.)

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I actually have a belly pan that I don't really want. No idea what brand it is, but it looks like carbon fiber. I'll take a look tomorrow and see if I can find a logo.

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
You may have just started me down a dangerous path with the painting of the engine/frame (though, I might decide to do a ceramic coating instead, as I'm already going to do so for the exhaust). I'll need to find out if ceramic can get that nice glossy finish though...

Then again, yours also looks fantastic as a simple paint. Decisions decisions... You didn't happen to take any pictures along the way with the painting, did you?

As for the belly pan, was the extent of the fabrication on the mounting pieces just drilling holes for the bolts and cutting off the excess? Also, do you happen to know if the S1 belly pans fit on the S2 series? As to my knowledge, There is only a slight pitch different on the angles of the headers, but I think everything else should line up correctly, right?

(I have a 2009, and would want to make sure before I threw in an order.)

Total thread derailment but here we go:

Yes to the bellypan bracket fabrication question (bending them at the right angle too - I used a hammer and a vise). I would think the pan would fit S2 without any issue. There are side-specific cutouts on the pan (radiator hose on right, crankcase on left), but those should be unchanged between S1/S2 as far as I know. When fitting the pan, you have a lot of flexibility on how to mount it (pitch/angle etc, basically just mock it up how you like it and then go from there.

Painting was pretty simple. I stripped the bike down, cleaned the HECK out of it (including nooks and crannies with a brush) with degreaser and rubbing alcohol, then taped up parts I didn't want painted, then primed/painted. The trick is to do it well before riding season so the paint has a chance to cure fully (if doing it with spray paint). I let mine cure 1-2 weeks. I was worried about the paint holding up to daily wear and tear but after curing, it's super hard and resilient. I'm definitely pleased with the results and would do it the same way again. Ceramic coating - wouldn't you need to remove the engine from the frame for that?? Plus, having an '09, your frame/engine is already black, which is the only reason I did this (hated the silver).

Pic of the bike before storage at end of season last year:

zjXXGWe.jpg

Priming:

JaV0vas.jpg

7l0jU5s.jpg

Getting there:

dtDDP0N.jpg

Headers in hi-temp flat:

BHqQOtF.jpg

Wheel prep (no I did not dismount tires first, because who cares. Yes, I will nick paint when changing tires in future, but I have a gloss black touch-up paint pen for that):

K5BmXVF.jpg

Parts curing in my basement dog shower (February is cold in Chicago!):

31Wm9l0.jpg

Reassembling:

cr6iJXc.jpg

Painting the pan:

PnGbr61.jpg