Madstad wind screen or new helmet?

Laurence243

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been looking to reduce wind noise and have a generally more comfortable ride. I am 6'2", I emailed madstad and they said the 20" wind screen should give me the "cone of silence" effect.

On the other side, my helmet is about six months old, I have it dialed in with camera, UClear and retroreflective accents. It is a 707 Vendetta 3

Y9vOKZd.jpg

... but I did drop it on concrete last weekend. Apparently it is okay (was told that by a former MSF instructor that knows his stuff), but I still worry a bit.

So what would give me more benefit? A good shoei or similar ($400 ish) or the madstad wind screen?

crazydmc

Reaction score
Visit site
my experience (5'10") is that more windshield is not always better.... You can't redirect enough wind over your head without creating a low pressure zone behind your helmet that will cause noise or buffeting.

With the stock windshield I had a lot of wind at chest level, and it would push me around at freeway speeds and I felt like I had to hang on. (especially since on the FZ6 you sit upright)

I started with the Calsci 9.5" and while the wind was reduced nicely, the noise at helmet level was ridiculous. (jet engine like) -- I considered the 11" model but the vendor recommended I mock up my existing one to see if it was better -- Look here for that exercise

I ended up cutting a few inches off of it so it was about 4" higher than stock, and brought the wind to about neck level. This seemed to be the best compromise for me... I still have that setup since 2008

PZ 1

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike had a tall Puig on it when I bought it and it was very noisy. A blast of air hit square in the face shield. I put on a 20" Madstad and it made a big difference, much quieter.

Serzedo

Reaction score
www.mototurismoadois.pt.vu
It's not only the helmet that matters, but the kind of motorcycle, windscreen and our height.

The best is to have the air going to your neck/chest, not into your helmet, because if the air goes to your helmet you will feel so much turbulence and noise that you will start to talk to the devil in no time.

Maybe a new helmet, but again, sport helmets tend do be noisy, because they need to be light.

"V"