Maryland Motorcycle Laws Summary

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Found this while clearing out some papers. It was handed out at my BRC class in 2010. Might come in useful here some day. Covers headphones, earplugs, illumination, exhausts, helmets, etc.

Once upon a time I posted on this forum that noise protection earplugs weren't allowed in MD. I was wrong -- turns out they're okay so long as you can still hear sirens and horns.

Brackson

Touring Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is awesome. I had always read that earplugs were outright banned in Maryland. I never followed this because I value my hearing way too much, but I can hear my own engine and horn and definitely a nearby emergency vehicle with them in so it turns out they are actually legal! Thanks for posting this man!

On a separate note, what part of Maryland are you in, and do you ever like going for forum rides with other FZ6 riders?

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
This is awesome. I had always read that earplugs were outright banned in Maryland. I never followed this because I value my hearing way too much, but I can hear my own engine and horn and definitely a nearby emergency vehicle with them in so it turns out they are actually legal! Thanks for posting this man!

On a separate note, what part of Maryland are you in, and do you ever like going for forum rides with other FZ6 riders?

Yeah, the way that law is written, earplugs seem to be banned which defies common sense. I was pleased to find this exception published by the MVA if it ever became an issue. I've always ridden with earplugs regardless.

I'm near BWI. Haven't met up with any forum members. I've been a wuss lately and haven't ventured very far on the bike in some time. It sucks that nice places to ride around here are two hours away through crazy traffic. The bike has become a fair weather commuter and garage decoration for me. Might be time for it to go until I move someplace more bike friendly -- I'm working on that plan currently. ;)

Brackson

Touring Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I live within 5 minutes of BWI and I agree I wish there were more decent places to ride alot closer. I typically ride for clarksville which is less than 30 minutes from me and it already gets into nice areas. From there I can head west towards Virginia, northwest towards Frederick, or North past I-70. Hit me up some time and I will show you!

Sburke

Reaction score
Visit site
I can't even ride without ear plugs anymore, drives me insane. Rode for three years without ear plugs and saw a article about then one day. I haven't looked back, so much more enjoyable to ride with ear plugs.

Black_Cirrus

Reaction score
Visit site
I moved to Maryland last year, I'm 15 min south of BWI. I found some decent roads between Gambrills and Annapolis. St Stevens Church Rd is the one I start at. Not as nice as my favorite 20 minute ride back in Idaho but nice. Low traffic and decent curves. I'd be willing to run it with someone if they want to go.