crazydmc

Reaction score
Visit site
I got 45k miles on my original chain and sprockets. When I replaced with OEM chain and sprockets I was able to get a Master link from Yamaha dealer so that I could install the chain without removing the swingarm.

Now, 25k miles since, my chain started clunking like it was wore out. Since it was OEM I expected it to last as long as the original. I thought maybe I didn't lube it as much as I had the first chain but upon further inspection I determined the noise coming from the Master link going over the counter shaft sprocket.

I removed the master link and found the problem...

somehow the master link was wearing through the chain more than any other part of the chain. Actually the chain appears to be in fine shape except for the ends.

I thought about removing the bad links at each end and getting a new master link... but that would make the chain too short.

With 25k on the current sprockets I don't want to install a new chain on them... so replacing the chain AND sprockets is the only option left.

This time I won't use a Master Link.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well you CAN'T complain about the mileage you got out of either!!!

BTW, someone put a continuous OEM chain on W/O pulling everything apart as the manual calls for.

As I recall, he just loosened / removed the main, ft swing arm bolt and was able to move it back far enough to sneak the new chain
in.

Should you purchase a chain link tool, I bought this original DID tool (not cheap) but its very heavy duty and it's about
impossible to over tighten a crimped link...

DID KM501E Chain Cutting and Riveting Tool - SoloMotoParts.com

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well you complain about the mileage you got out of either!!!

BTW, someone put a continuous OEM chain on W/O pulling everything apart as the manual calls for.

As I recall, he just loosened / removed the main, ft swing arm bolt and was able to move it back far enough to sneak the new chain
in.

Should you purchase a chain link tool, I bought this original DID tool (not cheap) but its very heavy duty and it's about

It may have been another member, but I've installed a chain without removing the swing arm. Honestly, it's easier to remove everything. I ended up scratching the black paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

crazydmc

Reaction score
Visit site
Well you complain about the mileage you got out of either!!!

in.

I do get pretty good mileage compared to what others report, true!

I put the new chain on today without splitting it. I actually searched forums and YouTube for info from someone who had done it and found nothing. seems everyone was splitting and rivitting the chain. It wasn't that hard though...
i-SnSHLvP-M.jpg

ready to pull the swingarm bolt...
i-pD9M54T-M.jpg

I almost thought I would have to remove the swing arm entirely (by removing the exhaust in the way) , but I avoided that.

once you pull the main swing arm bolt out, and remove the bottom shock bolt, you can twist the swing arm to make just enough room to sneak the chain in there.
i-ZZhfjbv-M.jpg

I know, it is dirty in this area due to leaking seal at the countershaft... I fixed that today too
i-v6nrNff-M.jpg

i-WNgmZHK-M.jpg

i-CfgMXdh-M.jpg

all done.
i-CSbhjjS-M.jpg

Attachments

• i-WNgmZHK-M.jpg
    i-WNgmZHK-M.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 18

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It may have been another member, but I've installed a chain without removing the swing arm. Honestly, it's easier to remove everything. I ended up scratching the black paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It probably was you Joe.

And for the OP, that rusty dust all about, the sprocket was probably loose.

Thanks for the pic's and thread!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes it WAS loose! interesting that you picked that out.

Just an FYI, with the new nut, it's MEANT to have the outer edge peened down on the FLAT on the sprocket shaft (working at as a lock nut).

If not peened (just a light tap with a screwdriver/drift and hammer) and it isn't going anywhere. This IS CRITICAL. Another member within two weeks had his sprocket come off.

He was lucky enough it didn't do any damage or cause a crash..

crazydmc

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, it was peened... and it did keep it from coming off...

I don't know why the nut was not tight though. I had no indication of this... but maybe it was the cause of the oil seal failure.

it IS tight now though!