Mid-Michigan

FZTofer

The Gamer
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a route taking the ferry from Ludington to Manitowoc Wisconsin. This route starts us in Lansing and then ends up back in Ludington. Just to give people an idea of cost I looked up prices for the SS Badger and right now it is $67 per person and then another $34 for the bike. The website says it takes 4 hours to cross the lake.

that sounds like a good idea, but...

1) Im a poor college student... lol
2)thats doesnt seem like 2-3 days worth of riding
3) 4 hours on an expensive ferry dosen't sound to appealing

but if thats what you guys decide on that would be fine with me just gotta work a couple more hours to pay for the ferry lol :rof:

SergeantG1

Reaction score
Visit site
When you guys planning on taking this ride?? I'm in Green Bay, WI. About 35 min. from Manitowoc. If your gonna go up to the UP you'll be going right by me. Once you get into Manitowoc you could ride up the Door County penninsula on 57, then come back down it on 42. Then around the bay and up to the UP.

It'd be fun to hook up with you guys in Manitowoc and ride up into the UP with ya.

dimitre977

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sergeant, right now we are planning Memorial Day weekend, May 23-25. D-Mac, FZTofer would the weekend before or after Memorial Day work just as good for you guys? I didnt have my work schedule at home last night and now see that I have to work that weekend. If that is still the best weekend for everyone than I can try and take vacation but sometimes getting time off around holiday weekends is kind of tough.

FZTofer

The Gamer
Reaction score
Visit site
Sergeant, right now we are planning Memorial Day weekend, May 23-25. D-Mac, FZTofer would the weekend before or after Memorial Day work just as good for you guys? I didnt have my work schedule at home last night and now see that I have to work that weekend. If that is still the best weekend for everyone than I can try and take vacation but sometimes getting time off around holiday weekends is kind of tough.

I just need to know 2-3 weeks in advance because I work part time while I'm in school and they do the schedule weekly... so sooner the better but no later then two weeks notice and I should be good :thumbup:

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good. I was looking at the ferry website this morning too. Not cheap, but I think it would be worth it (I love boats and I'd rather spend the time riding the twisties up north than dealing with Chicago). Traffic in the UP on Memorial Day weekend won't be much of an issue either.

They ferry only departs at 9am, so we'd likely take the first 1/2-1 days to get to Luddington (looks like about 180 miles or so from Lansing + extra distance for anyone coming from other places). The next morning we could catch the boat (meeting up with folks from the other side at lunchtime) and then ride well into the UP by the end of the day. On day 3 we could finish the loop (there are some GREAT roads on that route north of Manistee you have highlighted - folks needing to get home early could always go directly down Route 127 instead).

Michiganders who can only spend a day could just ride to the ferry. Those in Wisconsin or Illinois could have the option of joining up for just day 2. There's also the option of heading south, and there's an option on day 3 for or do part of the cutting day 3 short and zipping down 127 (instead of riding the western lakeshore in Michigan).

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

I'm pretty flexible in mid-late May (I'm a professor and school's out by then). We'll probably end up polling everyone at some point to come up with a date.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
that sounds like a good idea, but...

1) Im a poor college student... lol
2)thats doesnt seem like 2-3 days worth of riding
3) 4 hours on an expensive ferry dosen't sound to appealing

but if thats what you guys decide on that would be fine with me just gotta work a couple more hours to pay for the ferry lol :rof:

You're right that it's not a lot of riding for one person. In groups rides you never cover as much distance though (someone always has a reason to stop every 75-100 miles - hopefully not for repairs!) I'm on-board regardless of the weather, so that's a factor too....

I get the financial reasons too and I'm open to alternatives. There would be time to go around Chicago on Day 1 if most folks would prefer that (especially since the ferry schedule is not as flexible). If we can get a 'local' to lead us through the city it shouldn't be too tough.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
When you guys planning on taking this ride?? I'm in Green Bay, WI. About 35 min. from Manitowoc. If your gonna go up to the UP you'll be going right by me. Once you get into Manitowoc you could ride up the Door County penninsula on 57, then come back down it on 42. Then around the bay and up to the UP.

It'd be fun to hook up with you guys in Manitowoc and ride up into the UP with ya.

Sounds good. I've never been to Wisconsin, but I've heard good things. I'm originally from Canada, so I'm more familar with that side of the lakes.

Sounds like this thread needs a 'Sticky' and perhaps a new title.....

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I just need to know 2-3 weeks in advance because I work part time while I'm in school and they do the schedule weekly... so sooner the better but no later then two weeks notice and I should be good :thumbup:

I think we'll want to start booking stuff no later than February (at least have the dates finalized and block-off rooms and such). If we took the ferry we'd also need reservations too.

FZTofer

The Gamer
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good. I was looking at the ferry website this morning too. Not cheap, but I think it would be worth it (I love boats and I'd rather spend the time riding the twisties up north than dealing with Chicago). Traffic in the UP on Memorial Day weekend won't be much of an issue either.

They ferry only departs at 9am, so we'd likely take the first 1/2-1 days to get to Luddington (looks like about 180 miles or so from Lansing + extra distance for anyone coming from other places). The next morning we could catch the boat (meeting up with folks from the other side at lunchtime) and then ride well into the UP by the end of the day. On day 3 we could finish the loop (there are some GREAT roads on that route north of Manistee you have highlighted - folks needing to get home early could always go directly down Route 127 instead).

Michiganders who can only spend a day could just ride to the ferry. Those in Wisconsin or Illinois could have the option of joining up for just day 2. There's also the option of heading south, and there's an option on day 3 for or do part of the cutting day 3 short and zipping down 127 (instead of riding the western lakeshore in Michigan).

that sounds pretty legit, if you guys are going to be serious about it and decide on a weekend then ill put in for it off... that should bea fun ride and i can let some buddies know about it

dimitre977

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I agree with you 100% about avoiding the Chicago area. For me taking the boat across the lake would be worth it.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a similar map I came up with.....just for mulling over.

Day 1: The ride to Ludington, MI - I started the ride map in Lansing, although folks coming from the west could pick up the ride in Grand Rapids, Muskegon, or jump in at Ludington the next morning. I didn't think about routes to Ludington at this point (map shows interstate for part of it). Shortest route = 162 miles from Lansing (+whatever folks tack on to get there). Easy ride. If we started at noon we could make a few stops to pick up folks and get to Ludington by dinner. Apparently there are some good roads in the Ludington area (+ parks and a beach), so those could be options once we get there and perhaps on the way. There are places for die-hards to camp as well and the Manistee National Forest is close by as well.

Day 2: Around to the Mackinaw Bridge - Departs at 9am and should arrive on the other side of the lake between 12 and 1pm. This would be a good place for people from the other side to meet.

The ride could then head north into the UP via route 41 to Marinette. Then onto Route 35 into the UP and perhaps along Route 2 along the Lake to the Bridge. This would be 300 miles from the ferry. Not really a lot of riding, but it's worth considering the road and stops, and the fact that we don't really do much riding until the afternoon.... If the northern part of the UP is a better ride (and I hear that it might be, but haven't been up there....) we could try a route up through that way, which would tack on at least another 100 miles or so I think. I'd be up for that.

We don't have to ride all the way to the bridge on Day 2, although the next day is a lot of winding (slower) roads and people don't want to miss that (plus people might want to leave enough time to get home on Day 3 as well). if we get to Mackinaw City by the end of Day 2 there are lots of places to stay (it's a small tourist hell for those who haven't been there, but it's also kinda fun).

Day 3: Down Lake Michigan - Route 31 to Traverse City and then Route 22 up and around the Leelanau Penninsula and down to Manistee (taking the scenic Route 109 bypass as well as the Route 110 bypass into Manistee (the latter part is THE twistiest road I've been on in Michigan - it's awesome). From there 31 goes straight back to Ludington. I drool just thinking about these roads..... I've done a bit of them and it was all breath-taking. Only 255 miles to Ludington, but it's easily an 8-hour trip from the bridge with a few stops. Tack on another 160 miles to Lansing + whatever folks need to get home and it's plenty I think. I love the Iron Butt thing, but this probably isn't the time. Total = 940 miles Lansing to Lansing.

Here's a map....from:Lansing, MI to:ludington to:manitowoc to:M35 to:mackinaw city to:US-31 to:M-22/N Manitou Trail to:M-22/N Manitou Trail to:M-22/W River Rd/W Western Ave to:M-109 to:M-22/Scenic Dr to:Frankfort Ave/M-22 to:6th St/M-22 to:M-22 to:44.333672,-86.2761

dimitre977

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I was talking to a guy I work with (doesnt have a bike and wouldnt be going but just a suggestion) and he said the ride along Route 119 thru Good Hart would be awesome on a bike, he said it has some good twisties. According to the map it would add about 20 miles and at least an hour to our ride but if it keeps us along the shore I think it might be worth it. But as far as the rest of the plan it sounds good to me.

Last edited:

2-stroke

Reaction score
Visit site
I am in but memorial weekend dosn't work for me and I don't like riding that weekend because of the drunks. If we want to meet up for dinner my fiancee (we are getting married on Saturday) could recommend a nice place to eat she is from Ludington. I also agree I don't want to go to Chicago. I prefer a Friday-Sunday trip so I only have to take one day off work. Sounds like a lot of us could meet up Day 1 in the morning or early afternoon in either Midland, Mt. Pleasant, or Clare and enjoy some time at the beach.

I think I would prefer hotels to cut down on packing. I will be ridding two up and will probably be that guy that needs to stop every hour. Get me a date and I will put it on the vacation calender this sounds like fun.

dimitre977

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ATL Home Page.....ATL2007 released!......

Check this out. It seems that some folks have already organized a Great Lakes ride during Memorial Day weekend...... Looks fantastic, although it's a longer trip. One of the guys over on the STN website recommended it.

The more I look at this trip the more I think it is the way to go this coming spring. This trip looks like it would be a lot of fun.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
The more I look at this trip the more I think it is the way to go this coming spring. This trip looks like it would be a lot of fun.

I agree. It would be a lot easier to do this with a bunch of guys who have done it before and know the routes, book the hotels, etc. I hope I can find the time though. It would also be good to have a couple of FZ6s in the mix too.

bigdog9191999

High-tech Redneck
Reaction score
Visit site
this sounds like a blast too...

d-mac expect a call from me..

hours regulations are coming into effect and i shouldnt be working near the overtime and cheap trips like this sound like a blast.