Misc HID Questions

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been looking to install an HID kit on my bike. Mine is the naked version so i will need a bi-xenon kit.

1. I have read that you need to disable the Auto Switch-On function on the bike so the lights don't come on when you start the bike. is it true?? If its not will the HID Kit last ???

2. As i have the naked version, there isn't any place i can protect the ballast from rain etc. anyone knows or owns a kit that wont brake in heavy rain???

3. From my experience from cars, the 4300k kit has a lot of light. So at my car i needed to lower the lights so i don't blind incoming traffic. Is there a way to adjust this on the bike?

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
1. I have read that you need to disable the Auto Switch-On function on the bike so the lights don't come on when you start the bike. is it true?? If its not will the HID Kit last ??? I have never heard of disabling the auto on headlights. Been running some kind of HID system for 3 years and never had a problem so far with HID bulb longevity. You do need to make sure though you run the system through a relay as the HID uses a surge of juice to get them started then power consumption levels off to less than what your halogens use now. You will need a control box which both operates the high/low solenoid and also is included with a relay.

2. As i have the naked version, there isn't any place i can protect the ballast from rain etc. anyone knows or owns a kit that wont brake in heavy rain???
You might want to hook up with DDM tuning tech support and ask about this.
DDM Tuning : HID Kits & Lighting
I saw a youtube video a little while back where this guy tested a ballast by submerging it in water and running HID's in a controlled environment. Not the kind of water you will ever see and good to know they are waterproof. The techs at DDM tuning have always been helpful and answered all my questions.

3. From my experience from cars, the 4300k kit has a lot of light. So at my car i needed to lower the lights so i don't blind incoming traffic. Is there a way to adjust this on the bike?
I happen to like the 4300k color alot. I just went to this color for my HID projector setup. It looks like a stock color for a high end car. Keep in mind if you go with a more powerful ballast (55watt vs 35 watt) it will wash a little color out. I really love the way the 4300k looks with my 55watt ballasts. I also ran 5k for awhile and is is considerably whiter in appearance. anything from 4.3k to 6k will give the most useable light. When you start getting into the 8k range the beam will appear very blue and you get less usable light

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
On your FZ6 the the headlamp circuit becomes active once the engine has been started. Generally HID systems run power for the transformers direct off the battery and uses the normal headlamp circuit for the signal to turn the HID system on. Probably what you're worried about is hot starting the HID system in the event of an engine stall. Hot starting is when the lamp is already preheated and is shut off and on quickly, pushing it through a preheat cycle, after the lamp gas is already super hot. This can reduce lamp life. You shouldn't have to worry about this on the FZ6 since the headlight circuit stays on as long as the ignition key is on after the engine has been started. This means that if the bike stalls or you hit the kill switch the headlamp circuit remains active so you can restart the bike without the HID going through a hot start. If you turn the key off and then on quickly the HID will have to go through a restart. This is okay as long as the lamp gas has cooled a little.

On the waterproofing.. I would used some of that thicker industrial trash bag material. The heavy duty bags are usually black and they're easy to cut to make a water proof cover. :)

Edit: On a bike like my Suzuki SV1000s and others models the headlamps turn off automatically as the starter is engaged and this would cause "Hotstarting" the HID which you don't want to do. I think these type bikes are that they're talking about. Your FZ6 is good to go! :)

Last edited:

Arthur

Reaction score
Visit site
I have installed one on mine naked bike,the bulb is 6000k 35w. No modification was needed,just to put that rubber protection on the light bulb was a bit tricky had to trim a little bit of it. I have managed to squeeze all of the bits where my battery is under the tank,once you taking the tank off,it doesn't look pretty but I doesn't really bother me. The other thing it needed a very good earth connection but the cable was super short,I used the same screw which holds my fuel tank :)
The light bulb it self was really worth it,its superb in the dark and I can see more car drivers noticing me while filtering through stopped or slow moving traffic.