Misfiring when wet.

Fliper0312

Reaction score
Visit site
so basically when i wash my motorbike or rain catch me up my motorbike are misfiring. Loosing power and silly noises coming up from my motorbike when i try put him on revs. any ideas? suggestions.. ?

Fliper0312

Reaction score
Visit site
Rubbers looks good i looked into spark plug holes and it's looks clear. I removed ignition coil, caps and I check them for resistance. All in tolerance except one. Primary resistance shows 3.8 ohms on both in 10celcius where tolerance is 1.53 to 2.07 ohms @20 Celsius

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
so basically when i wash my motorbike or rain catch me up my motorbike are misfiring. Loosing power and silly noises coming up from my motorbike when i try put him on revs. any ideas? suggestions.. ?

Another place to check is on the right side engine cover where the lead from the crank sensor leaves the engine. I had an issue years ago where the sealant around the grommet was old and water was allowed to seep onto the sensor. After washing the bike, it would misfire. After a few minutes of riding the problem would go away. It never happened in the rain, but in all fairness I rarely rode in the rain.

If this is your problem and is it really leaky you need to be careful because that part of the engine is open to the oil pan. You don't want to get any measurable quantity of water in the oil pan.

I removed the cover, replaced the gasket and resealed the grommet with RTV. The problem never returned.

1673962801648.png

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Years ago a member has a problem where the bike would idle okay if it was stationary. The engine would idle and rev okay but as soon as the bike rolled the engine would stumble. The bike would be on the center stand, engine running, and gearbox in neutral. If the rear wheel was not moving the engine was fine. As soon as the rear wheel was rotated the engine would stumble. It was crosstalk between the speed sensor and another sensor circuit in a plug. I don't remember what plug in the harness or if it was the ECU plug. The fix was rinsing out the plug with water drying with compressed air and resealing the plug with silicone grease to seal out future water. What was happening was water from roadways that had been salted to melt snow, made it into the plug assembly and because it was salty water it enable conductivity between circuits that would normally be isolated from one another.