Mixing Old / New Oil?

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys :welcome:

Is it "safe" to mix old and new oil in the FZ6 engine? I figure I have around 1 and 3/4 quarts new in, and around 1.25 old. The old oil has around 3500 miles on it.

What happened was I was changing my oil for a long weekend ride. But the filter was stuck on and in my attempt to wring it off developed a crack, and leaked out a bunch of oil as I rode to a repair shop the day after Christmas. I hadn't purchased the required new oil yet, knowing the filter was sort of stuck on. So I wanted to loosen it before buying any oil as I knew it might need to see a shop to get an oil change if I could not get the filter off safely.

Turns out it did not take much to crack the can of the filter, though. So I was stuck with a leaky bike the day after Christmas, 1 and 3/4 quarts of leftover "new" oil leftover from a previous oil change, and I made it to the shop with about 1 quart left in the engine.

Bike actually gave me the low oil pressure light at that point and I killed the engine and pushed the bike a couple blocks to the shop. This was not a motorcycle shop so they did not have the proper oil. I just dumped the new oil in to top off and rode away.

So, bike was rode around 500 miles over the weekend, oil is clean and seems fine. Should I change the oil completely now, or can I go another 1500 miles or so?

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for quick response. will the bike be ok to ride until i get a chance to change oil? went to two stores today including walmart and they were out of the T6 i use. apparently they had a sale, and i missed it.

fairly certain no engine damage occurred. bike is running like a top, not burning oil or overheating, and the mechanic said it was "fine." when this happened i rode it gently all the way until the oil pressure light came on and turned it off immediately when it did. still had a bit over a quart in and did not make any weird sounds or racket while riding. didn't overheat, nothing. all seemed normal

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
hello again. went to my local pep boys and they did not have t6 but they do have regular Rotella (dino). is it ok to change out synthetic oil for dino oil? i have read in cars it is not such a good idea, but what about for bikes?

just don't want to wait any longer then necessary. if its ok i will go down first thing in the morning and get the dino Rotella and change it out in a few minutes

Jblk9695

Elite Member
Reaction score
www.MachiningbyBlake.com
Shouldn't be a problem, only difference between old and new is the old breaks down with the heat cycles and your using T6 which is a full synthetic so even that won't be a big deal, so go ride and don't worry especially in this cooler weather.
Regular dino is fine as long as it doesn't have friction modifiers that might cause clutch slippage, just change it a little sooner, say 3k miles.

Happy New Year:rockon:

Jerry

Last edited: