Motodynamic Sequential LED Tail Light Install w OEM Turn Signal

toasterboy85

Reaction score
Visit site
Quick summary of install of the clear smoke Motodynamic Integrated Tail light with use of stock turn signals. I did not mind the look of the OEM light, however I wanted something a little cleaner. I ordered my light from motodynamic.com for ~$75 USD. Came through USPS within 5 days!!! Light was neatly packaged with peanuts for protection and double boxed! BTW this light IS DOT certified:rockon:!!! Anyways on to installation!!!

1. OEM tail light view – this is how the bike looked prior to any modification. This is my first of many modifications I plan on performing.
2. OEM tail light view – Brake – like the title says, the brake light is on, fairly bright, but too ordinary…
3. Tools – 4mm Hex, 10mm ratchet, 10mm socket, 12mm socket, wire cutters, soldering tool and solder, wire stripper, heat gun, heat wrap, and Phillips screw driver (not pictured)
4. OEM backside – when you take off the seat, this is how it looks.
5. Exhaust cover – use an 8mm socket to remove bolt
6. Remove Tail Fairing – use a 12mm socket, I did remove the 2 12mm bolts that help hold the exhaust on (where the nuts are), this part is not necessary. You only need to remove the 2 bolts that are circled in this pic.
7. Removing tail fairing 2 – There are 2 Phillips screws on the bottom of the fairing
8. I forgot to take pictures of the side accent pieces; there are two rubber nubs one each side that are held in by pressure, there is also a 4mm hex screw on the top. Once again look at your bike… fairly self-explanatory.
9. Remove tail section – using a 10mm wrench, there are 2 bolts that need to be loosened in order to take off tail section. Do not remove these screws, as they will be impossible to get back in with out removing more exhaust!
10. Removing tail fairing 3 – 12mm socket to remove last hardware holding tail fairing to bike.
11. Wire Harness – this is how it looked before the mod, except I had already unplugged the tail light… just a little excited!!!
12. OEM wire holder – once all bolts and screws are removed, take out the 2 phillips screws and carefully remove the wire… just incase you need to replace light w OEM
13. Remove OEM screws – there are 2 screws that hold the light to the tail section, remove both. At this time, you should be able to remove tail section.
14. Tail section removed – Look and make sure that all bolts/screws are out and harness is disconnected, it took a few minutes to slowly remove section.
15. OEM light removed – this took about 10 min for me. The rubber washer do not come out. If you pushed the piece partially out the back then turn it sideways and pull out the front. I took my time so I did not scratch my paint.
16. Connectors to turn signals – this might be extremely scary for some people. You need to cut the manufacture wire harness!!! I know, but trust me, my bike works fine! Use wire cutters and snip as close to the connector as possible, there is not a lot of wire to use!
17. Subharness – I zip tied the sub harness to part of the wire harness. The subharness is quite long, I left about 6-8 inches from the sub harness and cute the wires. From the connectors on the subharness (white ones) cut about 2 inches to leave some slack in wires
18. Solder Splicing – I decided to solder since it is more permanent, look at the instruction from motoynamic to make sure wiring is correct, prior to soldering I clamped the wires together and tested each one. Don’t forget heat wrap to help water proof it.
19. Wire Wrap – simply cosmetic
20. LED complete – really cleaned up the back side. I want to add a two brothers exhaust, but am waiting for someone to sell on the forum (I find my wallet hard to spend $600+).

Hope this helps everyone who is looking to modify their bike. Total time was about 4 hours. I am sure if I was more experienced then it would go quicker. I had to stop mid way to go raid the parent’s garage for the solder/heat gun supplies. Feel free to ask any questions. I have attached labeled pictures and will work on a wire diagram to help out everyone for the mod. Check out my you tube video also… sorry for the bad quality, but I phone video is not the best.
Thank you,
toasterboy85

toasterboy85

Reaction score
Visit site
You tube link
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF6H5A0gLUI]Motodynamic Integrated Sequential LED Tail Light - YouTube[/ame]
Thank you,
toasterboy85

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
16. Connectors to turn signals – this might be extremely scary for some people. You need to cut the manufacture wire harness!!! I know, but trust me, my bike works fine! Use wire cutters and snip as close to the connector as possible, there is not a lot of wire to use!
17. Subharness – I zip tied the sub harness to part of the wire harness. The subharness is quite long, I left about 6-8 inches from the sub harness and cute the wires. From the connectors on the subharness (white ones) cut about 2 inches to leave some slack in wires
18. Solder Splicing – I decided to solder since it is more permanent, look at the instruction from motoynamic to make sure wiring is correct, prior to soldering I clamped the wires together and tested each one. Don’t forget heat wrap to help water proof it.

I did the same thing as you (tail light plus original turn signals), but didn't do my turn signals this way. I talked to Motodynamic and they told me I didn't need the extension harness since I was keeping my original turn signals. I just cut the connectors off of the turn signal wires on the tail light and used Posi-Taps to tie them into the existing turn signals (no splicing, no soldering !)

Great looking job and a very professional write up.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the same thing as you (tail light plus original turn signals), but didn't do my turn signals this way. I talked to Motodynamic and they told me I didn't need the extension harness since I was keeping my original turn signals. I just cut the connectors off of the turn signal wires on the tail light and used Posi-Taps to tie them into the existing turn signals (no splicing, no soldering !)

Great looking job and a very professional write up.

Keep an eye on those posi-taps. They're prone to corrosion if they're not used inside a vehicle.

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
Keep an eye on those posi-taps. They're prone to corrosion if they're not used inside a vehicle.

Thanks for the warning about the Posi-Taps. I was thinking about wrapping them in heat shrink to try and keep any moisture out of them.

Krazyjohnny

Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice! Thank you for the write up. I have the "other" tail light with sequential blinkers in my bike. The previous owner had that installed and I added the Hyper lites brake and signal LEDs to help make me more noticable. I really like this tailight much more especially the 3 flasshes before going solid.

p-dawger

Reaction score
Visit site
Great post - just curious...is that the smoked version of the light?

Also - why would you install this and keep the rear indicators? I have thought about doing this and ditching the rear indicators but would have to modify the rear fender eliminator to get rid of the holes for the stalk signals...

Anyone do this?

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Great post - just curious...is that the smoked version of the light?

Also - why would you install this and keep the rear indicators? I have thought about doing this and ditching the rear indicators but would have to modify the rear fender eliminator to get rid of the holes for the stalk signals...

Anyone do this?

The name of the game is attention. Keeping the stocks and adding the integrated just adds more possibilities for being noticed.

toasterboy85

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes it is the smoke version. Although the rear indicators are fairly bulky, I would like to replace them with some super bright LEDs. I am also wanting to add a two brothers exhaust with comes with a fender eliminator.

Nick329

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes it is the smoke version. Although the rear indicators are fairly bulky, I would like to replace them with some super bright LEDs. I am also wanting to add a two brothers exhaust with comes with a fender eliminator.

I replaced the stock turn signals with Rizoma Zero11s. They are small but VERY bright. :thumbup: