Motorcyclist=better drivers

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
i'd disagree a little in that the % should read much higher.

since riding I am hyper aware of my surroundings in a car and rarely get into situations my oblivious counterparts regularly encounter. I do shoulder check and I use speed only when traffic permits and no one would feel intimidated by it. for the most part I refuse to let anyone follow me that doesn't keep a polite following distance which in these parts is almost no one.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mrs. Lefty driving in Hawaii last week in her rental car, used her "Spidey" motorcycling skills not to jump on a green light until she could see in both directions only to have a car fly through the clearly red light on his part. She told me her motorcyle training probably safe them both from a horrific accident. :thumbup:

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Been riding bikes since I was 8 or so. Cage - over 265,000 miles traveled since last accident and Fizzer 3 years new to me @17,000 miles traveled has no downs... and I'm a habitual speeder. :eek:

You gamble your way in your life and I'm gonna gamble mine. I think there must be truth in study in some cases. Very interesting.

Thanks Kenny!

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Agree with you 100% Kenny.

Even better, my dad used to ride so when he taught me to drive, one thing drilled into my head by him - BE BIKE AWARE. ALWAYS LOOK FOR BIKES. Made me a better driver. Now that I ride I'm always looking for bikes. And I'm always criticising other rides poor skills on the road.

There also used to be a campaign in Western Australia:

LOOK LEFT
LOOK RIGHT
LOOK BIKE

:)

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not a surprise here. I always stated in the classroom that even though a student do not intend to become a regular rider out on the street, being that they are here to learn how to ride has it's benefit.

Motorcyclists '23% better' behind the wheel of a car - Motorcycle news : General news - Visordown

Since I started riding on the street, I have always believed that the combination of being a rider and an alert driver makes one a more complete motorist.
Now, can my insurance rates be reduced - please? :shakehead:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Well let's see: I've been riding motorcycles for 10 years on the street and driving for 19 years, logging some 300,000 miles on cages and 40,000 miles on motorcycles and never have I ever been involved in an accident. I think my low insurance rates are deserved!

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Agree with you 100% Kenny.

Even better, my dad used to ride so when he taught me to drive, one thing drilled into my head by him - BE BIKE AWARE. ALWAYS LOOK FOR BIKES. Made me a better driver. Now that I ride I'm always looking for bikes. And I'm always criticising other rides poor skills on the road.

There also used to be a campaign in Western Australia:

LOOK LEFT
LOOK RIGHT
LOOK BIKE

:)

I taught both my kids to drive cages and be aware of two wheeled vehicles. Although my son is much more aware than my daughter and she is older. Probably because my son rides.

Good your dad did so as well. And I like your saying! I wonder if we could get that adopted over here in the states?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Now, can my insurance rates be reduced - please? :shakehead:

Depends on who you insure with. Most will for your bike after taking a motorcycle safety class and some might even include your vehicles since it's a safety awareness class. I would certainly call around.