Mounting mirrors on clutch/brake lever brackets on converted bike

jamesf

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently bought an 05 fz6 which was converted to naked by the previous owner using the VS-02 kit sold by dev_usc. Love the look of the bike, only thing I'm not in love with is the mirror setup. It appears the p/o got some R6 mirrors and attached them to the bars with an aftermarket clamp. Problem is they had to be mounted more inward to prevent interference with the clutch lever. From what I can gather, the stock mirrors on the N model screw into the clutch and brake lever brackets. I have no such holes being as mine wasn't naked from the factory. Anyone have any idea how I can get the correct clutch and brake brackets? Hopefully the answer isn't that I have to buy an entire new clutch lever assembly and master cylinder. If that is the case, I'll likely just get some extenders for the setup it has now, as I really can't see behind myself too well.
Here's the current mirror setup, hopefully the photos make it clear what I'm talking about.
https://imgur.com/a/65fhz

Also, based on the fact that the headlight kit came from a member of this forum, seems likely that at one point the owner of this bike went on here. If anyone recognizes it, let me know. I'd love to know its history.
Here are is a better picture.
https://nebula.wsimg.com/obj/M0JFMj...xNzcwNzE3MmU3ZDQ3MjI1ZTlkMWJmNzI1NjQ6Ojo6OjA=

It's a 2005 with 9k miles on it currently. Bought it from ambler power-sports in PA, where it was traded in on an FZ-09. Person who traded it in lived near Philly according to the title.

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
hope this pic helps. The Naked bikes come with a drilled and tapped hole on the lever brackets.
One of them has a LH thread the other a RH thread, cant recall which is which
sorry the pics are dusty, the bike cover hasnt been off for a while
mirror mounts.jpg

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There are dozens of replacement clutch perches available from the aftermarket. You probably want to stick to an new/used OEM brake master cylinder side.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For the starboard side, you can see the extra aluminum "lug" where threads could be installed.

I'd use that mirror you have.

Check the threads, the drill and tap that lug to fit. Most likely reverse thread so you'll need a reverse thread tap..

It'll stick out farther and you loose that extra handlebar mount..

That'd look OEM and work better too...

Last edited:

jamesf

Reaction score
Visit site
So it seems a lot of people use the fz8 clutch perch for this situation. Cheap price for an oem part so seems like an attractive option. Only thing I'm wondering is does the fz6's clutch saftey switch fit on the fz8 perch? I can't seem to find anyone discussing that.

RPF

Reaction score
Visit site
FWIW, after buying some narrow mirror mounts, I did some additional minor grinding on them when I converted to naked. This let me neatly butt up everything and keep both mirrors in the same location on either side. I also loosened up everything (including the master cylinder) and scootched everything around a bit. Be sure to keep the master cylinder oriented properly when done and don't bind any of the wiring coming off the lever assemblies. I also added risers which was a win.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So it seems a lot of people use the fz8 clutch perch for this situation. Cheap price for an oem part so seems like an attractive option. Only thing I'm wondering is does the fz6's clutch saftey switch fit on the fz8 perch? .

Check the part #'s for both and see if their the same.. Very likely their the same.