My $170 Slipon stew

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's some pix of what I was able to come up with for my wifes 07 FZ6. By taking my time, hawking ebay, and thinking this through, I have a pretty decent system for minimal cost. My original thread is HERE. I have these mounted and gone on a couple rides. They are nice, especially for what I paid. The one unique thing is that I am not stuck with just these cans. With this system I can use any 4" or 5" muffler that I come across. I'm thinking of trying some old Supertrapps next.

FWIW: This isn't for the mechanically challenged, there was "some" mechanical problem solving, cutting, shaping and crude/novice welding involved.

Here are the parts I collected for this project. I got lucky and scored a complete Scorpian system (Minus the actual slipons) for $89 on ebay.
picture.php

All the parts I'm using
picture.php

I made a replacement mid pipe to get rid of the cat down pipe. Hopefully, this will add a tic more horepower by getting rid of one of the three cats. Left to right: Original midpipe with cat, My home made replacement, The parts that I used to make the replacement.
picture.php

The Scorpian clamps were too big for my muffler cans, so I'll have to use the cheaper clamps that came with the mufflers.
picture.php

I'll have a couple pix all mounted up on the bike soon, and maybe a video.

Last edited:

zackeeboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you still have the scorpion clamps and would be willing to part with? I actually was installing my new scorpion exhaust yesterday and one of the clamps broke as I was tightening it. The larger clamp going from the can to the midpipe is what I'm looking for (51 - 55 mm). I contacted the sales department where I bought the exhaust, and they are working in getting a replacement but this might be quicker.

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm using all of the pipe clamps. I know this setup is sized in millimeters but a typical 2" T-bolt clamp should work fine. The 2" clamp is actually about 2.25" but it is designed for the joint of two 2" pipes.

Auto Zone, Advance maybe?? Online: Jeg's,
Summit??

sup-094-2000_w.jpg

zackeeboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm using all of the pipe clamps. I know this setup is sized in millimeters but a typical 2" T-bolt clamp should work fine. The 2" clamp is actually about 2.25" but it is designed for the joint of two 2" pipes.

Auto Zone, Advance maybe?? Online: Jeg's,
Summit??

sup-094-2000_w.jpg

Ahhh, I misread what you wrote. I actually spoke with the retailer of the exhaust and they're gonna send me another one - just thought this might be faster. Thanks though :thumbup:

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site
One of these days I'll get her washeed and do some decent pix outdoors. Please ignore the dirty shop floor and the clutter:D

One of the things I really like about these is that they go from mild to wild with the dB insert. Without it, it's pretty loud for those times I'm feelin racey, with them in, it's very subdued but still sounds great.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the red cf look, real unique. Personally I would try to find a way to shorten them up a bit, but overall looks great!! Another cheep alternative

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the red cf look, real unique. Personally I would try to find a way to shorten them up a bit, but overall looks great!! Another cheep alternative

Thanx. Time will tell if the red carbon will hold up. Hopefully it won't fade too much to the pink spectrum,,, but then again, it is my wifes bike.

I did try to get them in as far as possible. The problem is the adapters that I had to use to fit the 2.5" inlet to the 2" midpipe. As it is, I reversed the adapters to minimize thier effect on the length. The cans are actually about 10" so they are about right. I tend to be fickle with exhaust anyway, so I'll probably tweek them some anyway.

Anyway, I can live with the way that they look. Like motojoe122 said, they have that "check this out" look (paraphrased!).

Last edited:

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site
nice!!! now post up a video of how they sound !!:rockon:

One of these days I'm gonna take the time to post some vids. This one is on my Video "To-Do" list.

They have a thin sound with the inserts in (Compared to my FZ1), but with them out they have a nice deep sound. I think the 2.5" inner diameter has something to do with that.

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site
I so agree with your thoughts about the passing lane. Left lane bandits are, for a lack of a better term...rude.

LOL, I appreciate your comment, but it's not just "my thoughts",,, it is the law, or "rules of the road". :D

I think it's sad that they took drivers ed. out of schools. I know when I was in High School, I took drivers ed as an "easy" class,, I mean,, WHO can't drive a car!! right?! but as it turns out, I learned quite a bit that Dad and Mom didn't teach me. These days it seems like if you can hold the wheel straight and answer 190 questions about DUI and 10 questions about highway laws and actual driving, they hand you a liscence:(!

As motorcyclists we are more attentive to the traffic around us and I see some pretty silly and dangerous stuff everyday. And it seems that drivers become more and more uneducated, oblivious, careless and selfish everyday.

Another thing I think is funny (sarcastic humor) is that the cops go after the road rager instead of the freak that is oblivious and can't drive who incited the situation!!!!!!!
Rant over;)

Phil_RC_1

07-FZ6, 09-FZ1, 06-R*
Reaction score
Visit site
Do our bikes really have 3 cats? Where are the other 2? :confused:

I think the change was in 2007.
Pic of 07 and newer header, the two bulges are cats
header3.jpg

06 and older header
Header008.jpg

I have thought about trying to adapt an older header to my 07, just as a cheap way to have a full system without cats. I'm not sure what performance increase there would be but surely it would help some. I've seen a few on ebay relatively cheap, I just wish I had the time and $$ to do a little dyno time to see how much this stuff really helps the bikes power.