Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
On Friday I had riden to my work and back, had a bite to eat and then I was going on a ride with a group of riders (well actually I had organised it). Anyway on my way to the start location my bike just seemed to die, it lost a lot of power, the engine warning light came on and when I let it come to a stop the engine died. After looking to see if there was something obviously loose or if I could see any thing else wrong (which I couldn't).

In short I managed to get it going again, but had to keep the revs up or it would die. I rode (crawled) home but it had very little power and I had to keep the revs up.

It gave a fault code 22:

"Fault Code: 22
Diagnostic Code: 05
Symptom: Intake air temperature sensor-open or short circuit detected.
Probable cause of malfunction:

Open or short circuit in wiring harness.
Defective intake temperature sensor.
Malfunction in ECU.
Improperly installed sensor"

Anyway I took it to the shop on Saturday, but they didn't have much time to look at it. The shops shut on Monday, so I should hear tomorrow. Well I got an (old) bike to ride whilst mines in the shop.

I'll let you know any developments.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Even in limp mode it should happily ignore that sensor and run pretty well.
It would have been interesting to simply unplug the air intake sensor.
Anyway - compared to say the coolant or Crank Pos sensor it doesn't see the temperature extremes , so it seems odd it would die.

Any chance you've had a rodent attack?

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hope its an easy fix Martin

Thanks Adee, me too.

Even in limp mode it should happily ignore that sensor and run pretty well.
It would have been interesting to simply unplug the air intake sensor.
Anyway - compared to say the coolant or Crank Pos sensor it doesn't see the temperature extremes , so it seems odd it would die.

Any chance you've had a rodent attack?

Can't imagine that I have rodents Randy, it's outside, not in shed and we have lot's of cats about.

Last edited:
J

jesse_sanders

Interested to the outcome. Hope it's an easy fix.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
And you already did a kill switch repair didn't you Martin?

I don't think that'd throw a code anyway...

Hopefully, they'll find it quickly for ya.. :thumbup:

Did you notice any lack of ELECTRICAL POWER, slow cranking, dash lights dim or going out while cranking (ie battery going/gone)?

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
And you already did a kill switch repair didn't you Martin?

I don't think that'd throw a code anyway...

Hopefully, they'll find it quickly for ya.. :thumbup:

.Did you notice any lack of ELECTRICAL POWER, sow cranking, dash lights dim or going out while cranking (ie battery going/gone)?

I didn't do a kill switch fix Scott, but it just seems to be constantly underpowered when riding, and not as if it's something intermittent. The battery seemed to crank quite strong, only it needed a few more revs to keep the engine going.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Any news Martin or you still in Monday?

Its Tuesday on the other side of the planet!! :)

Its wednesday here, it took a while for them to find the problem and it's not good news. Apparently my immobiliser block is corroded and may have to be replaced. It is a very strange fault for an immobilizer block but apparently it controls more than just the on/off of the bike.
They tested it with a new block and it was fine, so they know for definate that this is the problem. A new set from aYamaha will cost over €1000
Tomorrow they will send it to an electronics firm (not Yamaha) to check and hopefully repair it, but whether this can be repaired depends on
several factors.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. At least you guys across the water don't have to worry about this, not having an immobiliser in your bikes.:thumbup:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, at least its been found, no guessing....

Here's another place, I don't know if they'll be able to help but if the other place doesn't pan out, you might give em a call:
YAMAHA : Carmo Electronics, The place for parts or electronics for your Motorbike Quad Scooter Car or Jetski

Fingers crossed!
Thanks for the info Scott, I'll give it a look if they can't fix it. It actually surprised me that the mechanic had seen this problem before, with immobiliser units on other yamaha bikes..

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There's been several threads here on the forum of the immobilizer causing issues.

Not having it over here, even to analyze by Cliff, Randy, etc (the electrical guys) makes any preventive maintenance/mod, or repair about impossible from over here..

I forgot how I found that link, but it was from here..

As expensive as that part / fix may be, I'd rather have that then a "come and go gremlin"

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear this Martin. I would love to see a circuit diagram on one of these....

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There's been several threads here on the forum of the immobilizer causing issues.
Not having it over here, even to analyze by Cliff, Randy, etc (the electrical guys) makes any preventive maintenance/mod, or repair about impossible from over here..
I forgot how I found that link, but it was from here..
As expensive as that part / fix may be, I'd rather have that then a "come and go gremlin"

When I first bought the bike I remember that I had cheaper Insurance and I didn't have to use an extra lock when parked at night due to the very good immobiliser system on the (european) fazer. Now it's come back to bite me :(. It would have been great if I had a schematic diagram, but even then this sounds more like a computer glitch, so not very easy to troubleshoot.

Sorry to hear this Martin. I would love to see a circuit diagram on one of these....

Me too Cliff, but the whole unit is sealed, and I couldn't find a circuit diagram on the web. Apparently the company it's going to has a lot of experience in these matters, so I figure they will have the circuit diagrams (I think). I have seen on line that you can buy emulators, but I'm not sure if that will work with the keys supplied.

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, at least its been found, no guessing....

Here's another place, I don't know if they'll be able to help but if the other place doesn't pan out, you might give em a call:
YAMAHA : Carmo Electronics, The place for parts or electronics for your Motorbike Quad Scooter Car or Jetski

Fingers crossed!

Thanks for the info Scott, luckily I won't be needing it though :thumbup:

It's all fixed now, the immobiliser is sealed in a rubber/plastic "housing" the mechanic showed me a pic. Apparently moisture had got in side (it should have been sealed), so a few things were oxidized, the company it was sent to fixed this and resealed the housing. Unfortunately I was shown a pic of the item before it was unsealed, but of course no more information.
Anyway the repair including man hours was a little over €400 which was a lot cheaper than the cost for the item via yamaha :cheer:

It was great riding to work yesterday, again :thumbup:.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well Neil at least it got your first reaction of 2016, so every cloud has a silver lining :thumbup:

So where have you been, still got the fazer?

Not so mate, I've done a few posts. I'm still checking in, in stealth mode lol. Lots of stuff has already been covered on the site so I've had nothing to add to the discussion. Still got the FZ6.
Glad the bikes fixed.

Nelly

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk