My New Ingenious Sat Nav Mount

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Previously I had my sat nav mounted on my bars. I've gone back to using the stock '08 bar clamps and also wanted to be able to mount my GPS in a position nearer the clocks where it would be more protected from the elements and also easier to see. I've managed to do this now.

I bought a 50cm long copper bar with a diameter of 22mm on ebay, chopped it down and flattened and bent the ends. I mounted this above the clocks using the top two inner fairing mount holes. The GPS mount I built originally fits onto this perfectly - although I modified it slightly by adding some rubber to stop it damaging the paint on the bar.

I just used a hammer to bash the ends of the pipe to get them flat and also to bend. I then drilled a hole in each flat part for a bolt to go through. I painted all the bits using Plastikote BBQ paint because it can be cured in the oven to go rock solid. I think it looks a lot better than the copper and mix of other colours I would otherwise be getting.

I have a fan-assisted oven and I waited till my girlfriend was out and use it to cure the paint so it will be rock solid. I heated the bits up to 150c for 10 mins, then let them cool for 10 mins, then heated them up to 200c for 15 mins and let them cool before installing. This worked great for me but it may vary depending upon the material you painted and your oven.

Here you can see a comparison between the painted object and the original copper pipe:-

Here is one of the bends at the end of the pipe:-

As you can see, it's been marked by the hammer, but most of this is covered by the washer:-

Here is the mount. I cut up a rubber air-pipe length-ways and glued it on for added grip and protection:-

Here is just the pipe installed. I think it looks great! I'm really glad I bothered to paint it and the washers etc:-

Here is the mount installed onto the pipe. I have since painted the big silver bolt black by the way:-

I have my sat nav in a waterproof bag designed for a walkie talkie. I just cut the end off the part that would cover the antennae for the wires to go through. As you can see, it all fits fine:-

There isn't as much glare on the screen as it seems in the last picture. I have headphones plugged into it anyway to direct me:-

And here you can see it all mounted up from the side:-

Last edited:

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good man... saw it on your photo bucket just before you posted it here.:thumbup:

Nice thing with the bar you added is you might be able to use it for other things as well.

I just got a GPS myself, I did something a little different, not as sheltered as yours but its working well. --Link below--

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/17302-gps-ram-mount-my-mirror.html

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Excellent! This is exactly what I have been looking for; I was going to have my mechanical engineer friends design a bracket that would use these very bolts. Thanks for posting this!

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Amazing work, Sanger! What a great idea, and the craftsmanship is first-rate.

I guess I'm just gonna have to either get more ingenious when it comes to modding my '06 (since we don't have those bolts in that area) or upgrade to a '07+!!!

I currently use a RAM mount for my GPS, but I too have been wanting to put it nearer to the gauges and have been thinking about a way to do this. Now that I've seen your idea, I might try something like this...thanks!

:thumbup:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Very good work. Those bolts goe right to the fairing stay, so it's a very solid mounting point.

Does the bar want to rotate at all due to the weight of the GPS?

Fred

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Very good work. Those bolts goe right to the fairing stay, so it's a very solid mounting point.

Does the bar want to rotate at all due to the weight of the GPS?

Fred
It is rock solid. The bar can't move at all once the bolts are put through loose due to the fact that the bends in the bar are at the same angle as the fairing plastic. I can actually make the whole bike move by pulling on the bar due to the fact that it's bolted into the frame. Putting the sat nav on makes no difference at all and the extra rubber I added means that it can't rotate at all. :)

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good man... saw it on your photo bucket just before you posted it here.:thumbup:

Nice thing with the bar you added is you might be able to use it for other things as well.

I just got a GPS myself, I did something a little different, not as sheltered as yours but its working well. --Link below--

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/17302-gps-ram-mount-my-mirror.html
Yeah, I fabbed up a mount for my last bike that put the sat nav just above the clocks and it's the perfect place for it in terms of shelter and visibility. It wasn't as solid or good looking as this one though! :rockon:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, SANGER_A2!!
I don't know if I am going to bother painting mine.. I don't plan to keep it on full time. My fabrication was quite easy. I used a vise to flatten out the pipe, so there was no hammering involved whatsoever :D

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, SANGER_A2!!
I don't know if I am going to bother painting mine.. I don't plan to keep it on full time. My fabrication was quite easy. I used a vise to flatten out the pipe, so there was no hammering involved whatsoever :D
Well they say "Imitation is the best form of flattery"! :thumbup: Looks really nice mate. The vice made the bends look smoother than mine. I still think it needs painting though. It then looks like a proper part of the bike (and not silly). Should last longer too.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Wow, great idea with simple and cost effective fabrication!! Love it!

It's a great design as you now have a mounting point so many other devices!!

Get a patent on it and sell it back to Yamaha!!

This is STICKY worthy! :cheer::thumbup: **STUCK**

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, great idea with simple and cost effective fabrication!! Love it!

It's a great design as you now have a mounting point so many other devices!!

Get a patent on it and sell it back to Yamaha!!

This is STICKY worthy! :cheer::thumbup: **STUCK**
Thanks man. Always good to get praise from one of the Gurus! :cheer:

That's two stickies to me now! :eek:

What I like about this, is that it's so cheap and easy to do. As long as you get 22mm pipe, you can buy a cheap mirror mount, attach what you want to it and do the whole thing for around £5!

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
What length did you cut the pipe to before crimping and bending the ends?

thanks, looks great.
Um. It was about 30-40cm long. Then I flattened and bent one end about 3cm and then drilled that. I then fixed that one in loosely and measured where I needed to bend the other end of the pipe. I then cut the pipe 3cm from that point and then bent & flattened it. Then I checked it fitted okay and drilled that end. The last stage was a brief sanding and then painting.

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Sanger!! I copied your design exactly. Took about 30 minutes to do the hammering and bending. Now if I only had a drill!!! that worked I'd be done.
For anybody copying this I started out with 12" of 1/2" O.D. copper (thin). Ended up trimming 1/4" from both sides to get the angles right. So starting with 11 1/2" should speed things up.

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I went with the '06 style clamps for a solid mounting point, but yours has a better "keeping an eye on the road" position. Great thinking!:rockon:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet! That IS Ingenious dude! I happen to have some left over copper pipe too from relocating a baseboard heater in the living room. I'll get right on this mod. :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing!

J-Speed Inc.

Owner of J-Speed Inc.
Reaction score
jspeedinc.webs.com
Looks good! Certainly a nice mount for the '08! For my '05, I purchased a handlebar mount for my Garmin off eBay. I'm still working on a way to keep the GPS attached to bike if it should try to disconnect from the mount. Nice job Sangar!