My Next Helmet...

Sdotterer014

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys I'm looking for some advice on purchasing a new helmet. I currently have the HJC IS-16 and am looking to upgrade mainly for the reason that my helmet is a little too big. I was looking into the IS-17 and the Scorpion EXO-500 and 1100. I've tried both on and both fit nicely. Does anybody have any experience with any of these helmets, or offer some alternative choices? I want an internal sun visor and if possible, would like to have an improvement in the amount of wind noise blocked out. Trying to stay under $300.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I used the EXO-1000 for about five years. I eventually replaced it with a Schuberth S2, at about twice the price. When it's time to replace that I think I'm going back to the Scorpion EXO, as long as Scorpion fixed their internal liner snap breakage problem (and hopefully they have).
I think the Schuberth is actually noisier; the EXO was a damn good helmet for the money. Let us know what you end up with, and how you like it.

Sdotterer014

Reaction score
Visit site
I used the EXO-1000 for about five years. I eventually replaced it with a Schuberth S2, at about twice the price. When it's time to replace that I think I'm going back to the Scorpion EXO, as long as Scorpion fixed their internal liner snap breakage problem (and hopefully they have).
I think the Schuberth is actually noisier; the EXO was a damn good helmet for the money. Let us know what you end up with, and how you like it.

There a big difference between the EXO-500 and 1100?

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the HJC FG-17, super good value for money, fiberglass shell instead of plastic so way lighter and not very noisy, its also SNELL certified which means its very safe but you wont be getting things like a drop down sun visor and whatnot. I think I paid like $179 CAD for mine

suedon

cafe racer
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Scorpion EXO-500 Oilcan and love it. It fits well, and has the internal pump to customize cheek area. Soft, internal material with built in visor which I have not used. I always have sunglasses as I find the internal visor creates a little distortion for me. But overall great fit.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a EXO 500 at Austin TX. So far I like it, reasonably quiet, everything works as advertised, and for the money it's exceptional IMO.

Dvan5693

Reaction score
Visit site
If Bell helmets fit your head, I HIGHLY recommend a Bell RS-1. Incredibly comfortable interior liner, super light and great venting. You can pick up many clearance models for under 300. The retail in the 500's. I got one for 179(no joke).

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys I'm looking for some advice on purchasing a new helmet. I currently have the HJC IS-16 and am looking to upgrade mainly for the reason that my helmet is a little too big. I was looking into the IS-17 and the Scorpion EXO-500 and 1100. I've tried both on and both fit nicely. Does anybody have any experience with any of these helmets, or offer some alternative choices? I want an internal sun visor and if possible, would like to have an improvement in the amount of wind noise blocked out. Trying to stay under $300.

The first thing to look at is the shape of your head and which helmet types fit You best. Then look at other factors which you find important. For example do you ride in the winter (ventilation/misting), do you always wear ear plugs (sound levels), do you wear glasses, do you use coms etc etc.

Last year I bought a new Shoei Neotec, but TBH I'm not very happy with it, this mainly has to do with riding in the winter and that the only way to make it waterproof is to shut all the vents (this was not necessary on my previous helmet), but this in turn creates a problem with steaming up.
I would recommend it if you are a fair weather rider, as with the vents open it gives a lot of ventilation.
The Neotec is also noisier than my previous helmet (Nolan N101). The internal sun visor can be useful but the air circulation gets disturbed by using it, and I still sometimes wear sunglasses because of this.

Anyway in short one persons ideal helmet is not an others.

Good luck in your search :thumbup:

Last edited:

Dvan5693

Reaction score
Visit site
Careful with the internal sunvisor helmets. Those systems add alot of unnecessary weight to a helmet. Bell and one other company now(forgot which one) make a transition lens visor for their helmet. The visor will turn dark when the sun is out and then go back to clear then darker or less sunny it gets.

Panther1911

Reaction score
Visit site
Last year I bought a Bell Revolver EVO helmet it has an internal sun visor, it is about $200

This year I replaced it with a Shoei RF 1200, and just wear sunglasses under it, I am waiting for shoei to start making the transitions type shield

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
You have HJC symax2 or 3 as options. Its a modular with sunglass visor under it.
Its around 270$, which fits under your budget.

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
been using my exo 1000 for close to 5 years now and the inner shield was very useless as far as blocking sun so I just got a dark shield. I do love the EXO helmets as far as fit (for my head) but I don't think I would get another helmet with the inner visor

Sdotterer014

Reaction score
Visit site
The first thing to look at is the shape of your head and which helmet types fit You best. Then look at other factors which you find important. For example do you ride in the winter (ventilation/misting), do you always wear ear plugs (sound levels), do you wear glasses, do you use coms etc etc.

Last year I bought a new Shoei Neotec, but TBH I'm not very happy with it, this mainly has to do with riding in the winter and that the only way to make it waterproof is to shut all the vents (this was not necessary on my previous helmet), but this in turn creates a problem with steaming up.
I would recommend it if you are a fair weather rider, as with the vents open it gives a lot of ventilation.
The Neotec is also noisier than my previous helmet (Nolan N101). The internal sun visor can be useful but the air circulation gets disturbed by using it, and I still sometimes wear sunglasses because of this.

Anyway in short one persons ideal helmet is not an others.

Good luck in your search :thumbup:

I don't do any winter riding so that's not a concern. I plan to try on a helmet before buying, just looking for some insight on helmets to go check out that I may not have been thinking of before. I wear ear plugs on lengthy highway rides (1hr+) and don't ever wear glasses under a helmet because it drives me nuts.

Last edited:

Sdotterer014

Reaction score
Visit site
Careful with the internal sunvisor helmets. Those systems add alot of unnecessary weight to a helmet. Bell and one other company now(forgot which one) make a transition lens visor for their helmet. The visor will turn dark when the sun is out and then go back to clear then darker or less sunny it gets.

I preferred internal visors to tinted lenses due to the fact that I constantly put the visor up and down whether it's going in and out of shady areas or whatever the case. That option seemed much easier than swapping lenses and possibly driving into cloudy weather and having to stop and change it. This transition lens is intriguing though. Does anyone have any experience with one? Does it work well or does it stay too dark or light when you want the opposite?

Sdotterer014

Reaction score
Visit site
If Bell helmets fit your head, I HIGHLY recommend a Bell RS-1. Incredibly comfortable interior liner, super light and great venting. You can pick up many clearance models for under 300. The retail in the 500's. I got one for 179(no joke).

Did some research on the Bell helmets. Apparently the RS-1 retails for $400 and comes with a clear shield, but the Qualifier DLX is $230 and comes transition adaptive face shield. Kinda lost as to why an extra $170 wouldn't also come with that shield...

Sdotterer014

Reaction score
Visit site
Well talk about a change of heart and a larger hole in my pocket. Tried on a Shoei and that was it, easily the most comfortable helmet I've ever put on my head. Had to get the design I want ordered in so I'll get it next week and post how I like it.

xzatx

Reaction score
Visit site
Well talk about a change of heart and a larger hole in my pocket. Tried on a Shoei and that was it, easily the most comfortable helmet I've ever put on my head. Had to get the design I want ordered in so I'll get it next week and post how I like it.

i have a shoei rf1100 and not happy about it at all.
and even the 1200.. i dont know.

they have air sealing issue i have lots of whistling everywhere and the hassle of carrying the tinted lens with you sucks.