Need some Givi recommendations

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have on 05 FZ6 and I am interested in a Givi topcase only (no saddlebags). I have a fender eliminator (from 3679Larry on eBay) and I am not sure how that might impact installation.

I know a lot of members have something like this, and I am hoping I can get an understanding of which mount I need for which cases.

Second question is about the capacity. Ideally I would like it to hold my full face helmet and my Sidi Vertigo riding boots. I'd appreciate some real world info about which case you have and what fits in it.

Thanks

GkS

Reaction score
Visit site
I have on 05 FZ6 and I am interested in a Givi topcase only (no saddlebags). I have a fender eliminator (from 3679Larry on eBay) and I am not sure how that might impact installation.

I know a lot of members have something like this, and I am hoping I can get an understanding of which mount I need for which cases.

Second question is about the capacity. Ideally I would like it to hold my full face helmet and my Sidi Vertigo riding boots. I'd appreciate some real world info about which case you have and what fits in it.

Thanks

Well my friend, since I took that path recently I can tell you a few things.
First of all, you will have to understand that there are currently two different systems out there to mount a case on a plate, the MONOKEY and the MONOLOCK. The differences are on the mounting way and the cargo weight they can carry. I prefered the MONOKEY cause it can carry more weight.

On our fz6, GIVI gives many solutions as for cases in both mounting systems, I personally wanted to be able to carry easily 2 helmets, so I chose the V46 (46lt of space) , while the new 47's are looking really nice. But it would also look good with a smaller one, like 37,44,45(MONOLOCK cases)...It mostly depends on you and if you say you need to store there a helmet and a pair of boots, I would advice you to go take a look at them from close, to see exactly the sizes and choose the right one for you.

What is basic for all models and systems, are the kits that mount on the bike's tail and if you want to be able to carry the case with the plate, you will be in need of these two: 351FZ and 351KIT (on picture don't consider the side bars). I have the MONOKEY M5 plate. First are the bars holding the base-plate and second are the mounts that the bars get mounted on. Unfortunatelly, you will have to work your way out on dismounting the tail of the bike/exhaust terminals to fit the 351KIT, there's no easy way for this, but there are detailed instructions on how to do it.

Hope that helps...

Last edited:

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the same FE kit, and run the monokey top rack with an E52 case. I did need to use a threaded bolt to space the exhaust hoops but it hasn't been an issue. I'll take a picture later when I get home

As for the case, I suggest to go as big as you can find. Either the E52 or E55. Even with the E52, which is a two helmet case, it fills up super quick. Trust me, you will not regret going bigger

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
As for the case, I suggest to go as big as you can find. Either the E52 or E55. Even with the E52, which is a two helmet case, it fills up super quick. Trust me, you will not regret going bigger

I agree, except maybe "get the biggest you can afford / find the best deal on". The external differences between a 40ish liter case and a 50ish liter case is only an inch or so in each direction, so a larger one won't really look "too big" compared to the other. I have a E52 (had an E50 prior. I can fit helmet/jacket/overpants, or helmet/jacket/boots, or helmet/roadcrafter.

Check ebay, craigslist, and forum classifieds (esp ADV) and you can probably find a good deal on a pre-owned case (all mine were bought used). With a topcase, your taillight gets sorta blocked, so I would recommend some type of extra brake lighting. Givi and ardmore make lighting kits for the topcases, or you can search online for DIY's using LED strips, or hyperlites or something lower near your plate.

Here's a link with pics my setup. I have the Givi monorack FZ351 for the topcase. http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...side-rack-installation-pics-e52-e21-e360.html