New *2017* MT-09 in Sydney!

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys -

Been down in Sydney for the last 5 months - loving it, great place to have a bike for sure. Had an 06 CRF450 Supermoto for a while, but it got stolen last month, which meant it was time to replace with something nicer.

I picked up my new ride on Friday with 8km on the clock. If you see a Black 2017 MT-09 riding around the CBD of Sydney, eastern beaches, or really anywhere within a few hours of Sydney, chances are it's me - catch up and say g'day at the next light.

And if anyone wants to go for a ride - let me know!

1802560074305346244-account_id=1.jpg

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You have been here 5 months and your sig. still says Cleveland Ohio— man you're local now [emoji16]
Sorry to hear you had a bike nicked, but you know more than a few of us are convict descendants

Very jealous you have an 09!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good to hear from ya. And ya, that's unfortunate but it looks like a happy beginning going forward!

Share the good and bad about the 09 as time permits!

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Good to hear from ya. And ya, that's unfortunate but it looks like a happy beginning going forward!

Share the good and bad about the 09 as time permits!

Sure thing. First thoughts - I'll be going for a good ride this weekend and should have some updates on how it handles out on the motorway, in the twisties, and with a pillion.
200km on the odometer and I can tell you they've improved the seat - it's flatter and more comfortable than the FZ6 - which I suppose isn't a difficult task to achieve.
Plenty of grunt - front wheel will come up in first and second, though I'm really withholding the urge to get up in the revs.
Headlights are great - twin projector HIDs on the 2017 model, with two extra high beams as well. Great visibility at night, which is good for dodging all the 'roos (pedestrians) in Sydney.
Suspension feels awesome, still responsive when hard on the brakes, haven't gotten to the twisties yet, but it's been smooth and predictable around town.
No helmet lock - and no grab bars on the back seat, while it looks good, makes carrying a spare helmet for a pillion a bit more tricky. I'll be fabbing up a little D ring clip for under the seat.
Throttle feels a bit loose - could be because of the analog input to a digital throttle (I assume that's what it has, since there's 3 modes). Little jiggles have a bigger impact than I was expecting - but hey could just require a bit of getting used to.
Fuel gauge feels a little bit off, reads full for a long time, then drops quickly, light came on and I was only able to put 10L in the tank, but I think it's supposed to have a 15L tank.

Overall, good so far. Have some levers coming in the mail, then if I can find a decently bright set of knock off Rizoma indicators, I'll be set for a while. Has anyone ever tried the bar-end turn signals? Looked at some of those and I like them, but I want a set that still maintains a bit of the heft of the stock ones without making these bars any wider, I still need to filter through traffic.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the review!

Speaking of lights....

I'm in the US and bought EU lights front and rear... both are made by yamaha, the front have white DRL and turn, the rear turn, run, brake.]

They seem pretty bright both front and rear but have not been installed yet. The color plates swap out so they will be black and not silver. They come with load ballasts, but with an electronic flasher, there is no need for them. They also have rubber cushion at the mount and can move so as not to shear off but certainly not as limber as the stock oem mount.

67602d1487533011-us-model-turn-signal-20170209_100319-jpg

67603d1487533011-us-model-turn-signal-20170209_095957-jpg

YME-FLB2F-00-00
YME-FLB2R-00-00
Blinkers front and rear

Front operation:
https://youtu.be/tcJ8rI-mPk4

Rear:
https://youtu.be/eEJkZ8UIWBE

Last edited:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Went for a good ride (1.5 hours each way) with a passenger, mostly highway. Rear suspension is a bit bouncy with a pillion - though the roads were a bit primative and far from smooth, so that probably added to it. About as comfortable as you can expect with a larger rider (no razzing me for the rider, I'm not picking up the big girls down here quite yet, it was my mate's Fiance). Getting to the shock adjustment with the wrench is tough, I could drop the preload easily, but haven't yet figured out a good angle for increasing the preload, the angles don't work well with the position of the ABS lines.