"New" ride for me (non-FZ6)

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not just riding my FZ6 (new Road 5 tires on the way in order to pass inspection) these days... an ex-coworker gave a not-running 2009 150cc scooter to me a number of months ago. It has many names (Znen/Lance Milan/Komoto), but it's the basic GY-6 engine setup coming out of China. It actually didn't require much work to get running - battery, taillight, added a Givi monokey, etc - and I've since put about 900 miles on. The dog likes riding around on it as well (sits on my lap, ears flapping in the breeze). I find myself using it for quick errands - grocery store, Home Depot/Lowes. It's not fast - top speed is probably 55mph on a straightaway - but the appeal is I think a bit like "drive a slow car, fast" vs. "drive a fast car, slow". I've changed the variator roller weights to 13 gram, which improves take-off response but inhibits top speed. In fact, the biggest challenge to getting this on the road was getting this licensed. My buddy never applied for a title from DMV, and was unable to find the manufacturer's certificate of origin, so I was in limbo for several months, and even considered going through the local court system. Instead, I went the Vermont route - and sure enough, 4 weeks after sending the application in, I now have a VT tag and registration card. Go figure - kinda' assumed that wouldn't work, but happily proven wrong. So I don't know where, or even if, this fits in long-term. It certainly will NOT replace the FZ6 - but short errands (and getting 70mpg) feels pretty fun right now, so will hang on to until at least next Spring.

DSC03246 (Medium).JPG

IMG_20210809_113500.jpg

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks like fun. Scooters don't work in my part of the world because we have roads with up to 12% grades on the county roads, and higher on the township roads. But if I lived in an urban area, I could see myself on a scooter or a Monkey. I like small bikes.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
[/QUOTE]
I'm not just riding my FZ6 (new Road 5 tires on the way in order to pass inspection) these days... an ex-coworker gave a not-running 2009 150cc scooter to me a number of months ago. It has many names (Znen/Lance Milan/Komoto), but it's the basic GY-6 engine setup coming out of China. It actually didn't require much work to get running - battery, taillight, added a Givi monokey, etc - and I've since put about 900 miles on. The dog likes riding around on it as well (sits on my lap, ears flapping in the breeze). I find myself using it for quick errands - grocery store, Home Depot/Lowes. It's not fast - top speed is probably 55mph on a straightaway - but the appeal is I think a bit like "drive a slow car, fast" vs. "drive a fast car, slow". I've changed the variator roller weights to 13 gram, which improves take-off response but inhibits top speed. In fact, the biggest challenge to getting this on the road was getting this licensed. My buddy never applied for a title from DMV, and was unable to find the manufacturer's certificate of origin, so I was in limbo for several months, and even considered going through the local court system. Instead, I went the Vermont route - and sure enough, 4 weeks after sending the application in, I now have a VT tag and registration card. Go figure - kinda' assumed that wouldn't work, but happily proven wrong. So I don't know where, or even if, this fits in long-term. It certainly will NOT replace the FZ6 - but short errands (and getting 70mpg) feels pretty fun right now, so will hang on to until at least next Spring.

View attachment 74422

View attachment 74423

The scooter looks like fun, but I am REALLY impressed by a dog with riding skills so advanced that you'd feel comfortable riding pillion! :)

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks like fun. Scooters don't work in my part of the world because we have roads with up to 12% grades on the county roads, and higher on the township roads. But if I lived in an urban area, I could see myself on a scooter or a Monkey. I like small bikes.

It's definitely fun. I have to think I look a little funny riding it, but - not caring. I found a PDF of the manual, and the maintenance schedule seems aggressive. Maybe normal for a small engine like this? Oil change every 600 miles, and (!) valve clearance/can chain chk every 2k-3k miles. Yet absolutely nothing for the drive belt.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Great job! Can't beat the mileage.
Vermont registration...hmmm. Think I can register my car in Vermont, and avoid the insane priced annual PA registration fee and annual inspection process? Intrigued.

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Great job! Can't beat the mileage.
Vermont registration...hmmm. Think I can register my car in Vermont, and avoid the insane priced annual PA registration fee and annual inspection process? Intrigued.
This is a good question - I'll let you know in April 2022, which is when the tag has to be renewed. I _assume_ they send me something, but this is a new experience. Plus which though - don't states have laws about how long you can keep a vehicle licensed with another state? I figure I'll find out when I get pulled over, but - unlikely that will be from speeding ;)

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
After doing a little research, I realize that you saw the true benefit of the "Vermont Loophole" is for when the title is lost or there's an issue with existing one. And besides...it appears it's $76/year for the car registration in VT. I'd be spending about 40 bucks more per year. I thought PA was high...yikes.

Yeah, there's an issue with owning a car registered in one state, with insurance and license being in another. I vaguely recall the problem when I got out of the Navy, moved to PA and kept Florida tags on my car for a couple of years. Got pulled over for something or other, and was told very sternly to register the car in PA ASAP.

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
After doing a little research, I realize that you saw the true benefit of the "Vermont Loophole" is for when the title is lost or there's an issue with existing one. And besides...it appears it's $76/year for the car registration in VT. I'd be spending about 40 bucks more per year. I thought PA was high...yikes.

Correct. $76 is peanuts when dealing with a free scooter than is conceivably worth $1000+, just to get it into the "system". It's funny, though - I pulled the CL add, and will keep until next Spring at least. I'm over 1100 miles now (got it with 70), just keep using it for errands about town.