New stuff on it's way...part 4!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, just a recap, i have been slowly building what i see as my "ultimate FZ6" for about 18 months now, and thought i was pretty much done recently, re what i was going to do to the bike...but then, the "Modding" bug just would not shut up...

And over the last few months i have posted a few threads about other stuff i might want to do, or intend to do...some of this stuff is crazy expensive, so i have taken my time before deciding to do most of it for 2 reasons...Money, and indecision...

And some of these things are still in the very much "undecided" basket!!!

But for now, there is movement at the station, so i thought it was time to pull everything togetrher into one thread!

My road bike, now affectionately known as "Damien"
View attachment 22176

Is about to go back into hardcore mod mode...so hardcore in fact, it's going to become a different bike!!!

I am selling "Damien Mk1", after taking a lot of the good stuff off it, and replacing it with mostly brand new OEM parts....and then i am building "Damien Mk2"..

For those that dont know, i own a second FZ6, which is an ex FZ6 Cup bike, which has obtained a deal of infamy during it's 2 year racing carreer, with firstly, Ken Wootton, the ex edItor of AMCN, riding it in the FZ6 Cup in 07, and writing about it in AMCN. Then last year, it was ridden by a female racer (still very much a novelty in a lot of respects), Amy O Mara.....and to top it all off, the bike has been raced, painted hot pink since day one...
View attachment 22175

Anyway, seeing as the FZ6 cup is now pretty much dead, it's was time to decide what to do with "Pinky"...keep it as a track bike, or take all her good bits, and combine them with the good bits on "Damien", and make one hell of a bike, and sell the other, and buy another track bike...one which i can build to my liking...

Going nuts and pulling bike's to bit's and rebuilding them won...mainly because it's gonna be fun, and i cant wait to see the result.

But this is what has to happen to make "Damien Mk2" a reality!!! :eek:

First of all, we need to build "Pinky" into a street bike...no problem, as a race bike, she came with all her road gear packed in box's...so it's basically a case of putting the road gear back on....plus do a few other things to fix 2 years of track abuse.

Once "Pinky" is a road bike, with lights, etc, then we will take the bike to the department of motor vehicles inspection centre, and get her road registered, and get those VIN numbers, etc, on file with the powers that be, and get it's own license plate issued...which will mean i will be able to ride it legally!

Ok, once this is done...it will be time to make "Damien Mk2", using all the best bits from both bikes..

First of all, from "Pinky", which will become "Damien Mk2", we will retain the following...
1. Motor (07 motor with 5000 racing km's on it V'S Damiens 06 motor with 35000km's), plus all the other associated electrics, etc, that go with it.

2. frame, rear subframe, swingarm...cause it makes sense, and "pinky" has the nicer cast swingarm.

3. Seat, Tail section, brake light, headlight.

4. Instrument Cluster, once again, newer, funkier 07 spec, that doesnt have a damaged cluster mount, like on Damien!

5. Forks - including the Ohlins springs, and gold valve emulators.

6. Ohlins rear shock - Damien has an Ohlins rear shock now, but Pinky has the newer, higher spec Ohlins, with ride height adjustment.
View attachment 22172

7. Ohlins steering damper , which is presently already sitting on Damien as it is.
View attachment 22173

8. Valtermoto Rear set offset plates....both bikes have Valtermoto rearsets, but Damiens are the newer model, but without the rearset offset plates, so Damiens rearsets will be used, with the addittion of the offset plates....puts them a little higher and a little further back...which should suit the drag bars i am going to put on..

9. Woodcraft Engine covers.....Nice extra protection in case the worst happens.

10. Zap racing chain guard.

Then it will be a case of ripping the following off Damien, and putting on the "new" bike...

1. MCS drag bars, carbon bar ends, bar end mirrors, mini carbon look clear glass LED indicators

2. Pazzo Shorty brake & Clutch levers.

3. Wave discs (front & rear), R6 brake calipers (front)...i like the pretty little blue discs in them!, goodridge clear sheafed braided lines (front & rear).

4. Two Brothers Titanium exhaust, & fender eliminator.

5. Radiator covers, headlight surrounds.

6. Puig Bellypan, TCP seat Cowl.

7. Oggy Knobs frame sliders, axle & fork armour.

8. pillion pegs...i like the plain steel ones, as opposed to the rubber topped ones on the 07+ FZ6's.

9. Petrol Tank, Airbox, BMC Airfilter.

10. Polished wheels.

11. Power Commander, with "Damiens" map.

12. 520 Conversion. (47 rear, 14 front), also have 46 rear, and 15 front in 520 spec sprockets.

Other stuff!!!

Other stuff that is going to be done, or is already being done is as follows.

1. re painting "Pinky's" swingarm, front sprocket cover, and touching up of the frame's paint.

2. painting the carbon look Puig Bellypan the same colour as Damiens black tank...

3. painting pinky's front fender (pink), the same colour as Damiens tank...

All the painting is being done by a proffesional painter, using decent 2 pack paint.

4. Polish the Headers off Pinky....best lot out of two badly stained sets i have...

5. Put Dynojet Power shifter on "new" bike"

6. Put the high comp 636cc Wiseco Big Bore kit in this bike when finished the main build......big job, includes changing camshafts, etc, etc....but will be the most defining mod of all when completed...and also, by far the most complex & expensive...but could yeild as much as a 25% increase in HP, and much more torque.

Stuff i still have not decided on.... :eek:

1. Polishing the frame & swingarm......would require me to totally strip the bike....would look amazing, but be a bitch to clean.....jury is still out on this one...but they need to make their minds up soon....before we start the main re-build!!!

2. Carbon, or "super blingy" wheels.....pure cost factor! $3500 for a set of wheels.....

Stuff i have talked about, but aint doing!

1. An "Omen" inspired paint job...too hard, and as someone reminded me this is primarliy an everyday bike, and a performance bike, not a museum piece!

2. Custom made Titanium exhaust headers....way too hard, cant get them made in Australia....only hope would be to find some OS, and get them sent here...anyone got any clues????

Anyway, it's now game on, all of the bits that need painting are now at the paint shop...., and Pinky is pretty much stripped..

In fact, since this photo was taken, the swingarm has also been removed for painting...
View attachment 22174

This is the starting point pretty much....am hoping to come out the other end with my "ultimaste" FZ6, that has a history, and a heritage of types...

plus a new track bike to play with, after i have sold my seond FZ6..

Will also have lots of stuff left over at the end, and in terms of decent spares...

1. A spare ohlins shock
2. spare Valtermoto rearsets
3. Woodcraft Clip on handle bars.
4. Spre 520 chain and sprockets

When i rebuild the 06 bike Damien, to preety much OEM spec, whoever buys that bike will get a pretty sweet deal too....

1. Lots of new, or near new OEM parts....
2. Racetech fork springs, & gold valve emulators.
3. Power Commander, with custom map.
4. Frame sliders.
5. braided brake lines

and a bike, wth an engine that has always been well maintained.

anyway, here goes......

:rockon:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
Let me know if your considering selling that PC seperately :D

Arrow seem to offer titanium headers for some bikes, can't find info if they do for the FZ6 but might be worth looking into.

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well we fitted the upspec Ohlins fully adjustable rear shock onto Damien Mk1 tonight.....just to see how things are different with the lighter spring and greater adjustability....

So far, all we have done is set free sag (Spring pre-load), ride height (Shock length) , compression damping, and rebound damping to "ball park" settings....

Wont get to ride it till at least Thursday, due to the facti am in single dad mode with my lil one till Wednesday afternoon at least...

But straight away, things felt a lot more taught than they did with the previous Ohlins shock i had in the bike, with no ride height adjustment, or compression damping..

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's very helpful to see it in it's various stages....you get a better appreciation of how it all fits together....and expose that beautiful frame in all its glory:rockon:.

Cheers
Mike

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's very helpful to see it in it's various stages....you get a better appreciation of how it all fits together....and expose that beautiful frame in all its glory:rockon:.

Cheers
Mike

Agreed, and i must say the same about the tank, that thing is a piece of sculpture as well...

Was funny tonight, when we were changing shocks...i sorta looked at the two bolts that hold the shock in, and thought to myself...man, they have a big job to do...

:eek:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Agreed, and i must say the same about the tank, that thing is a piece of sculpture as well...

Was funny tonight, when we were changing shocks...i sorta looked at the two bolts that hold the shock in, and thought to myself...man, they have a big job to do...

:eek:

Only for us fat buggas:eek:...lol:D

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well we got busy on the weekend, and decided to play a little more with the black bike....

Whilst the other bike is waiting for a couple of parts, and has a few things off being painted...mainly, the Swingarm...

I have had a burning desire to see what "Pinky's" complete suspension package would be like on the black bike...

So as a result, it was off with the Racetech modded forks on the black bike, and replacing them with the Ohlins modded & Frank Pons tuned forks from Pinky.

Problem was that Pinky was already rear wheel-less and forkless, and had it's butt held up by an engine lift, and once we removed the forks and front wheel would need to be held up at the front as well...but not with my only front race stand!!!

We needed the front race stand to hold the black bike up, while we took out it's forks' and placed Pinky's forks on the bike!!!

Solution.....one very dodgy looking bike standy thingimy jiggy, using two oil drums, a couple of car stands, and a the lever handle from Gazza's trolley jack, it worked!...see below!
View attachment 22458

Then once we got the bike up on our high tech lift!!! we took out the forks and the front wheel, ready for the change of bike...

Gazza and Mikey got to getting the Black bike's forks out, removing front fender, brake calipers.

And then before i knew it had the "new" Ohlins spec forks in place, and everything torqued up to factory settings...must of only taken half an hour tops....

The black bikes forks have gone into Pinky for now, and the bike has now been removed from it's make shift inglorious front "stand"!!!

here's a couple of shots of Mikey & Gazza at work removing & fitting the Ohlins spec forks to the Black bike...

Mikey removing the Brake Calipers from Racetech spec forks.
View attachment 22459

Mikey putting the Brake Calipers back on the "new" forks....Gazza stuffin with the Torque wrench settings!
View attachment 22460

Anyway, then it was on to these....
View attachment 22461

The Valtermoto Rearset, back set plates, also from Pinky...

The black bike has Valtermoto rerarsets, but not the back set plates, and i have been itching to try them, as i wanted to get my feet slightly further back...

First thing we noticed when we removed the Black bikes rearsets, was that there is a small 5cm wide lump on the end of the bike's frame that gets in the way, when fitting the offset plates, and needs to be grinded off! It had already been done on Pinky, so it was off to work with the angle grinder, to grind off the bump, which we then painted with a little bit of engine enamel....

Gazza grinding off the "knob"!
View attachment 22462

The end result!
View attachment 22463

Painting the exposed metal.....note, our high tech stencil...thanks to Jim Beam! :beer:
View attachment 22464

View attachment 22465

Then we mounted the plates, then the Rearsets to the plates, adjusted the length of the Gear shift linkage, and we were done...took about 45 minutes in total to do...

here's what it looks like now...

View attachment 22466

View attachment 22467

Then it was off for a quick test ride, to see how different the bike felt, with different forks and set up, plus how the new foot peg position felt.

Mikey and i went to the Hills, and did some very slow laps of a favourite "testing" ground we use....and i must say, the bike felt a LOT different, much stiffer, but with a more subtle suspension action...does not like bumps, but gives you lots of feedback from the front tyre...

Coupled with a sportier footpeg position, it all felt a bit weird, but i was getting used to it by the time we got home...if anything, may need to be softened up a little for everyday use...would be awesome for the track....but i guess you get that when the forks had been set up for the track in the first place!

Anyway, very happy....have just about got this thing perfect now...for now! :eek:

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very Cool !!! I like the home made bike stand! very creative.... you must live in the southern part of Oz!! cause that's how we do it here in the South U.S. (Red Neck) engineering!! LOL :rockon: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very Cool !!! I like the home made bike stand! very creative.... you must live in the southern part of Oz!! cause that's how we do it here in the South U.S. (Red Neck) engineering!! LOL :rockon: :thumbup: :thumbup:

LMAO! Yeah, well, they say neccesity is the mother of invention....dont think we will be doing that sort of stuff with customer nbikes though...time to buy another front race stand or two!!!!

JayJay

Reaction score
www.maverickrenegades.com
with my birthday money the wife "gave" me (which i worked for and supplied) I am looking into a Fender eliminator and some new indicators.

Wolf where did you get your FE? Did it have its own lighting for the plate?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
with my birthday money the wife "gave" me (which i worked for and supplied) I am looking into a Fender eliminator and some new indicators.

Wolf where did you get your FE? Did it have its own lighting for the plate?

My FE came with my exhaust....but they are available from most bike shops....might have to order one in, i have a R&G FE here, that came with a funky little LED number plate light that fits right above the plate very neatly....The R&G FE also comes with holes that fit the FZ6 OEM indicators exactly...cost about $160.

A bit expensive in my book, but they all seem to be about this price,if they include a numberplate light, some even come with indicators, like my Two Brothers FE did...

The cheaper ones generally dont...but aftermarket number plate lights are easy to get at places like Maxi Moto...

Hope that helps.

:thumbup:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

LMAO...YeeeHaaaw! :rockon::rockon::rockon:

I wanted to dangle the whole bike from the crane...lol...It's a sickness. I always pull the donk out of a car with the trans attached just to see the awesome spectacle it makes swinging in the breeze:D.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

LMAO...YeeeHaaaw! :rockon::rockon::rockon:

I wanted to dangle the whole bike from the crane...lol...It's a sickness. I always pull the donk out of a car with the trans attached just to see the awesome spectacle it makes swinging in the breeze:D.

You see Donny, we must be in redneck country down here too!!!

You guys probably even have "special tools" like we do...you know, planks of wood, bits of broken hack saw blade, bits of wire, etc...all have their specific tasks when required!!!

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You see Donny, we must be in redneck country down here too!!!

You guys probably even have "special tools" like we do...you know, planks of wood, bits of broken hack saw blade, bits of wire, etc...all have their specific tasks when required!!!

The lecky taped up handle for a piece of broken hacksaw blade FTW...lol:rockon::rockon::rockon:.

The right angle screw driver.

The BFS (or big ****** stick).

The Jim Beam carton masking plate...lol.:rockon:

We live for creating special tools...lol.:D

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lmao !! I love the Special Tool's!! i went out in the shop and rounded up a few for a photo shoot!! LOL RED NECK engineering !! :rockon:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lmao !! I love the Special Tool's!! i went out in the shop and rounded up a few for a photo shoot!! LOL RED NECK engineering !! :rockon:

LOL...That's gold mate. thanks for slapping them up.:thumbup:

Love the stumpy screwdriver sawn off. Of course you could always grind flats onto the shaft to get a spanner on it if the handle's too short....lol.:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Lol! Nice work Donny...will have to snap a few shots of our tools, when i go to the shop next....

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmmm... i suppose i should post a pic of how the bike is looking now, only a couple of minor visual changes...the offset rearset plate, the remote reservoir for the rear shock, and a small sticker on the front forks....oh and have put my tank bra back on....too much work keeping a pristine tank pristine when you are riding the thing all the time....plus i think it looks better on, and i like to use my bagster bag!
View attachment 22493