New to motorcycles; minimum service at 12K?

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got a 2007 Yamaha FZ6 w/ 12K miles used. It's my first motorcycle. I rode it for the first time today.

I did not get service records with the bike (it was self-maintained for oil changes, independent mechanic for other things), but an MSF instructor checked it out and felt that it had been ridden plenty and was running well at the time of purchase.

Per the previous owner, the oil was changed in August 2012. He did not know if/when his mechanic had changed spark plugs, air cleaner, etc.

What minimim things should I look into getting serviced and/or servicing myself to ensure that the bike continues to run well? I was considering the following:

• Oil and filter change
  • Air cleaner change
  • Spark plugs (not sure if I can do this -- not sure if I can fit my hand in work area)

Thanks,
nthdegreeburns

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
I would advise to take it to a mechanic to have an inspection done for peace of mind. They will check steering head bearings, wheel bearings, wheel/tyre damage, chain adjustment, cables, charging system, grease points etc.

Just get them to do the oil/filter while they've got it. Spark plugs probably don't need attention yet, same for air filter unless you're in a dusty area. Although air cleaner is relatively cheap and easy to replace if you want to.

Major service on these bikes (valve clearances) is 40000 kms (25000 miles) so you don't need to worry about this for a long while yet.

Also, there are manuals floating around on the internet for free if you can find one it has all the maintenance intervals.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Personally, although having it checked out is a good idea it's not really necessary. As long as the bike has good oil in it it will run an run great. The only reason bearings could be bad at 12000 miles is if he frequently took the bike through water crossings, or pressure washed it. And as many slams as I had and the head bearing was still good at 40k, I'm sure 12k is good too. These bikes are incredibly durable, and unless the previous owner was a jackass like myself the bike could last till 100,000 on basic maintenance. I've noticed that lots of people kind of get it stuck in their head that 10,000 on a bike is like 100,000 on a car but it just isn't the case.
Yes I abused the piss out of my fz
Do as I say not as I do
View attachment 47170View attachment 47171

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you will also want to change the coolant. not difficult at all, but since you are in a warmer area in the summer, coolant should be on your list too!!

there are alot of guides about spark plugs, but i have 22k miles and know of many more that are still on the stock plugs..

otherwise +1 what everyone else said.. oh and welcome to the forum!! :thumbup:

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
General consensus seems to be to take it to a mechanic and get the following:

• A thorough checkup
  • New coolant
  • New air cleaner
  • New oil
  • Maybe new spark plugs

I noticed 1-2 other BIG things like the steering bearings at 12K miles, but it sounds like one can get away with skipping those until the major service at 25K.

If I've missed anything or someone can think of anything else I need to check, let me know.

Thanks to all who responded!

Regards,
nthdegreeburns

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely change the brake fluid and examine the brake hoses really well. If they show any cracking it is time to replace them! Brake hoses and brake fluid is a very easy to overlook item but brakes are the most important thing on your bike, right next to tires.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Buying a bike without service records, I'd be more concerned with checking things than replacing them, whether the service schedule calls for it or not. I never know what some idiot did to the ______ I just bought. Only thing with the bike is a few things are hard to get to but inexpensive, so if you're going to check, you might as well replace them. Spark plugs and the air filter specifically, if you're going to go to the trouble of getting in there, might as well replace it unless they're clearly almost new. I'd do a visual and electrical check on the battery while I got the tank up.

The plugs aren't that bad... get a 1/4" ratchet, 3" extension, and an adapter to 3/8" drive. ;) I've done them with regular tools (didn't get the stock tools with mine) and done it that way, and it was much easier with the 1/4". Hardest part is getting the plug boots all the way out of the valve cover and back in. FWIW, my local Napa had the plugs in stock for $6ish a pop.

If you're already paying a shop, I'd ask how much to do the All Balls head bearings. I did mine myself, I'm a mechanic, and have access to a decent bit of tools... and I would consider paying someone to do it again. Not the easiest thing to do (especially getting the races in the frame) without the RIGHT tools. Mine weren't terrible, but I wasn't sure what physical shape they were in, and the All Balls angular contact design is much better anyway, at $25 and the "fun" of DIY it made sense to me. :p

I'd check out the brake fluid at 6 years old, if it's dark 'n' nasty, flush it, or take the opportunity to upgrade brake lines. You can do it cheap and easy with a wrench, a pint of fluid, some tube for over the bleeders, and a bottle to catch fluid. I'd just pump the levers (slowly!) until the reservoir is NEARLY empty, top off, and repeat, until clean fluid comes out. Maybe not as good as emptying and refilling the system, but bleeding from dry is a PITA, and brake fluid is cheap enough you can waste some.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
Picked up factory (Yamaha) air cleaner and oil filter (I'll switch to K&N next time) over the weekend. Going to give the oil change and air cleaner swap a try myself, then take the bike over to a local bike mechanic who offered to inspect the rest of the bike for me. I didn't want him to check the air cleaner, as the fairings have to be removed, yada, yada.

I DID check fluids today, and I can't see a level in the front master cylinder (on the right handlebar) -- so either it's topped off, or very low.

I also can't see (little bit of dirt?) the coolant level, so either it's very topped off or needs fluids.

Thankfully, a few hours 2 weeks ago on a battery tender improved the starting of the motor tremendously.

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
nthdegreeburns said:
I also can't see (little bit of dirt?) the coolant level, so either it's very topped off or needs fluids.

Try shining a torch directly under the reservoir and you should be able to see the level. As for the master cylinder on the handle bar I can't see the fluid in mine either.

nthdegreeburns

Reaction score
Visit site
An update...

Took the bike to a local independent mechanic today. I brought him the Yamaha oil filter and 3 x Mobil 1 10-W40 4T bottles.

He walked me through the oil change and things to keep an eye on with the bike. Of note...

• Rear tire (Metzeler) is 2008 and has about 500 miles left on it
  • Front tire (Dunlop) is 2011 and has about 1500 miles left on it
  • Chain seemed slack but was within spec from manual
  • Chain needed a good cleaning; he lubricated it
  • Coolant was low; he topped it off
  • Brake fluid in both reservoirs was clear enough to not need changing
  • Front brake pads worn and has about 1000 miles left on them
  • Rear brake pads fine and plenty of miles left on them

I will change the air cleaner this coming week myself.