Newbie here, need ideas for a strong top case/luggage rack to support large dog carrier!

Ladybugfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I'm Donna, new member from Kent, WA. I should have joined years ago but just never did. I have a beautiful red 2007 FZ6. My husband and I enjoyed many trips together for years. (He had an FZ1). Sadly he passed away last year. I miss those trips big time! But I don't want to give up on riding. Thing is, I have a new member of my family, Greta, 1 yr old German Shepherd mix. We do everything together and in my dreams I've tried to figure out a way to take her on my bike. Well, I recently came across the coolest thing! I'll post pics below. A carrier for large dogs! I'd love to give this a try. But since the back end of the FZ6 isn't real big they suggested I get some sort of a luggage rack like in the pic shown, with several contact points on the bike for support. It should work great then. I would love to hear from any of you who have a similar rack or any other suggestions for me. I'm super nervous to give it a try, but really really want to take my girl with me! If Jess with goruffly.com can do it then so can I!! Thanks ahead of time!!

IMG-6925.jpg unnamed.jpg IMG-6147.PNG IMG-6146.PNG

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to here Donna.

I think it’s great that you want to include your dog in your activities. Before you head down this road, I would consult a dog trainer, one that specializes in positive reinforcement. Here’s why…

Dogs hate motorcycles. I don’t know if it’s the noise, or the way they move, but their natural instinct is to meet a motorcycle with aggression or a warning. The good news is at one-year old, your dog can be trained via positive reinforcement (treats). I think just having your dog sit next to a running motorcycle would be a big win. Getting the dog to sit while you rev the engine would be another big step.

The other challenge will be your dogs comfort on the bike. German Shepards can reach 70-90 pounds and the pad that you have shared will need to be able to provide the room for your dog to “readjust” their position - safely.

Lastly, the safety of your loved pet has to be given consideration. Your dog won’t be wearing a helmet, leather or CE Level 2 padding. In the event of a minor accident your pet is completely exposed. For the same reason a dog shouldn’t ride in the front seat of a car, they probably shouldn’t be on the back of a motorcycle- the environment isn’t designed for them.

I’m not saying don’t do it, I’m saying give it consideration. If you can train the dog to be next to the a motorcycle and then on the motorcycle without jumping off uncommanded, you can probably make it work.

Ladybugfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you so very much for your input! I definitely want to think about this very slowly whether it will work or not. The lady I’m following on goruffly, who helped create the carrier is amazing and starting a world tour with her German Shepherd Moxi. Doesn’t mean I can do it for sure, but it’s a cool site to follow. Thanks again, I definitely want to ride safe!

Ben sIII

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Donna,

I cant help re the rack, but i got my pup used to being on the back over a few weeks, but in a dog backpack, not a seat like Maxi.

Just start small, bike turned off, small trips and gradually getting longer etc. Buddy's issue is speed over 60kmh is to much wind, he also hates his goggles. But he loves the attention.

Attachments

• IMG_20201013_110755.jpg
    IMG_20201013_110755.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 12

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it would be awesome if you could make it work. But having trained several dogs, I know that it is hard work. It will be frustrating for both of you. If you have ever trained a dog to perform at a high level you know (or will know) that it takes time; time to develop the communication skills, time to develop a reward system that works, and time to trust that the dog will perform every time as expected. Dogs are amazing animals. At a year old your Shepard is eager to learn and please. You have a perfect window now to make it happen.

But it doesn't start with buying equipment and and saying "get on". Talk with a professional trainer, one who has experience training at a high level (a service dog or military background). Be sure that your dog is up to the task, and then take the time to do it right. You may have to start by attaching the carrier to a stroller, and then a bicycle.

You should probably reach out to the creator of the carrier and discover the steps she undertook to train her dog, and find out what previous training her dog had. Keep us advised on the journey. I'd love to see photos or video of you and your dog enjoying a cup a coffee after a long ride :)

Ladybugfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Donna,

I cant help re the rack, but i got my pup used to being on the back over a few weeks, but in a dog backpack, not a seat like Maxi.

Just start small, bike turned off, small trips and gradually getting longer etc. Buddy's issue is speed over 60kmh is to much wind, he also hates his goggles. But he loves the attention.

Buddy is adorable! So glad you are able to have him with you! Thanks for the reply!

Ladybugfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it would be awesome if you could make it work. But having trained several dogs, I know that it is hard work. It will be frustrating for both of you. If you have ever trained a dog to perform at a high level you know (or will know) that it takes time; time to develop the communication skills, time to develop a reward system that works, and time to trust that the dog will perform every time as expected. Dogs are amazing animals. At a year old your Shepard is eager to learn and please. You have a perfect window now to make it happen.

But it doesn't start with buying equipment and and saying "get on". Talk with a professional trainer, one who has experience training at a high level (a service dog or military background). Be sure that your dog is up to the task, and then take the time to do it right. You may have to start by attaching the carrier to a stroller, and then a bicycle.

You should probably reach out to the creator of the carrier and discover the steps she undertook to train her dog, and find out what previous training her dog had. Keep us advised on the journey. I'd love to see photos or video of you and your dog enjoying a cup a coffee after a long ride :)

Thanks Gary! I'm happy to have the input. Greta (my pup) and I have been working diligently at basic training and I'm very committed to her. However, this is definitely a much bigger step. I have an amazing trainer that I think can help me or point me in the right direction. And yes, great idea about reaching out to Jess. I have already been emailing her. I'd like to set up a video chat with her before I make any decisions on whether to pursue or not. I appreciate all the suggestions and help! As much as I "want it" I definitely need to think smart!

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Dogs hate motorcycles. I don’t know if it’s the noise, or the way they move, but their natural instinct is to meet a motorcycle with aggression or a warning.

Gary I'm sure has more experience with dogs than I do - literally, we are on our 1st dog _ever_ so yeah, not the most informed opinion here. Yet, my dog does seemingly not hate motorcycles. I _will_ say that he doesn't like the lower-rumble of Harleys (and diesel picks with the loud pipes), but 1) he harasses me every time I start the scooter up - likes to ride on my lap around the neighborhood, and 2) when I'm on my FZ6 or FZR1000 he practically runs in front of me trying to get close/hop on (if he could). Absolutely a small data-point, but maybe this is more breed-specific in terms of acceptance/rejection of cycles, or maybe a I'm very small exception to the rule. Regardless - I do agree, if your dog would accept it, it's a great idea - but up to him of course. Good luck!