Newbie question re downshifting

RPF

Reaction score
Visit site
I have noticed after about 500 miles on my 07 FZ6 that downshifting all the way to 1st as I roll up to a stop is starting to fail, and I am having to go back up and down to find first. This was not a problem until recently. Is this a clutch adjustment issue? I have plenty of clean fluids and have not made any drastic lever adjustments - the clutch seems fully engaged. I noticed from DAY 1 the clunking when shifting up - but read many places that this is just what the FZ6 does. This has only been an issue when I nearly stall out when the light changes with cars behind me. But I should not have to be distracted by this issue, there are plenty of other things I need to focus on. This was never a problem with my Honda 350. It seems the throttle is sensitive but the tranny is sloppy. Maybe that is just the nature of this bike? Thanks

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In my experience, it will clunk on the upshift (especially from 1st to 2nd) when you shift at lower RPM's, this is a 14k revving machine that develops it's peak torque at 10k RPM's and you'll find that if you rev it a bit higher in 1st the clunk will go away.

As for the trouble of downshifting to 1st, are you doing all the downshifting while the bike is moving/coming to a stop - or after you have stopped?

EDIT;
Also, check your chain slack - if it's on the tighter side the gear changes can get a bit clunkier than "normal" :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome noob. Almost 50 years of riding experience here, so here's my thought.

I do match rev down shift as I come to a stop, but I don't shift into first until stopped. In fact I probably tap the bike into neutral, allowing myself to coast the last few feet with just light pressure on the front brake.

I also try to see how long I can balance at the light without putting my feet down. Sometimes my feet never touch the ground at a light. Give that skill at try

Last edited:

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I also try to see how long I can balance at the light without putting my feet down. Sometimes my feet never touch the ground at a light. Give that skill at try
Ah yes, "The floor is lava" game, my favourite traffic light past time :D - the only downside is, if I make it 'till the light changes I'm off at yellow which is not ideal if someone runs a red light.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 re down shifting as your slowing...

It's in your owners manual.

If you stay in 6th to a full stop, you can get to first but your going to have to let the clutch out a little, get the transmission gears spinning, then shift once at a time. PIA but it won't hurt anything. You are pretty much a sitting "target" stuck in a high gear while stopped..:( .

IE, Just down shift as you slow. You can either let the clutch out between each down shift, or slow, holding in the clutch, BUT DOWNSHIFT according to speed-DO NOT DOWNSHIFT TO FIRST DOING SAY 50 MPH, (maybe 10 MPH)

Also, a sloppy, loose chain will make for sloppy shifts as well..

RPF

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Gary. I have always felt more confident with the bike in gear at a stop should I need to make a quick move - which happened twice so far in my life. Plus if I always know I am in gear there is less of a chance of a brain fart neutral bike drop when the light changes! These seem to be habits I developed in a previous life (before kids) when I rode. Some habits can be bad tho.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
RPF,

What do mean when you say the downshift is starting to fail and that you have to shift up and down to find first?

If what you are describing is that the downshifts are getting difficult and you have to push/pull harder and it becomes hard to tell if or when you get into first, then the problem might be that you need to lube the pivot points on the linkage between the shift lever and the arm on the engine case.

If this sounds like your problem, then try putting some lube into the rubber boots on both ends of the linkage bar. See the photo in this post that I sent a few years ago.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/55044-new-owner-things-check.html#post608098

attachment.php

Good luck!

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also. Full disengagement of the clutch is paramount for smoother gear shifting. I've had the experience of oil effecting clutch engagement/disengagement function. There is little clearance between clutch plates and discs which makes the oil super important. Since the clutch and engine oil are shared maybe an oil change and inspection of the oil are in order.

RPF

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Shoop - I went ahead and lubed the clutch cable and linkages and adjusted the free play down so it engages a little better and things seem smoother. I do not notice any loss of clutch engagement while accelerating so this may be the set up. Thanks.