Newegg problem

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've ordered nearly all my stuff for various rigs via Newegg and never had a problem until now. Last weekend, I ordered a new (Retail boxed) BFG GTX 260 video card with 896 MB RAM on it. I had already bought Far Cry II and discovered my current card couldn't play this game with great video.

I was away for the week but came home yesterday and the box was waiting. There is a rebate on it along with some freebies if you register your card online. So, without removing the shrink wrap, I logged into BFG and registered with the UPC and serial on the box. After doing so, I opened the box and discovered this problem:

The static bag had 4 seals stacked on it, thus is was opened THREE times and sealed a FOURTH time! I opened the bag only to discover the card had a DIFFERENT serial number on it than the box stated!

I picked up the phone and called Newegg customer support. Max was VERY helpful and surprisingly, didn't quibble at all about this, didn't ask a lot of questions (leading me to believe, "Is this common practice there?"). Instead, he immediately issued an RMA for this one, e-mailed me a free UPS return shipping label and I purchased a new card, once again, that they will have to me by Tuesday with free shipping.

I can say that Newegg customer service is excellent! However, the shipping department leaves me wondering.....

Has anyone else had this experience with Newegg?

On topic now... Far Cry II isn't anything spectacular at this point. I know the graphics can be better but with regards to game play and AI, the game is predictable and has a narrow focus on objectives. Too much time is spent traveling in the maps and not completing missions. Having to find rough diamonds all the time to buy medicine for your Malaria is a real bother. I hope the game gets better but I'm going to wait for the new card and hope I get one that HASN'T been used!

githianki

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you got someone else's RMA maybe? I would also call BFG and let them know of the situation with Newegg. They shouldn't be sending stuff like that out...EVER. I have always done business with them, and that is the first time I have ever heard of something like that happening.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you got someone else's RMA maybe? I would also call BFG and let them know of the situation with Newegg. They shouldn't be sending stuff like that out...EVER. I have always done business with them, and that is the first time I have ever heard of something like that happening.

:D I *just* sent a long e-mail to BFG as well. Great minds think alike! ;)

I got what they would sell as a recertified product. The first thing I did was revisit my invoice online and the link from that ordered item to their site. Sure enough, I did order a retail boxed and not an "Open" or "Recertified" product. I've spent thousands there since they became Newegg and never had a problem. I hope they aren't going downhill like ZipZoomFly did!

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After some Google searching, I found that it is a growing problem with Newegg. I wonder how many people just don't notice and go on using the product regardless? It will only bite them should they need to warranty the product before it expires.

FWIW, I didn't even try to install the card. I was SO looking forward to some high-res gaming too. I will be picking up CoD:WaW today though. :steve:

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I buy most of my PC stuff from Newegg and no problems as yet. I do read occasional posts regarding defective products, but poster always compliments Newegg's quick turn-around and resolution, so I'm sure they'll make it right for you. Can't recall too many posts where folks have received incorrect merchandise though. Hope this isn't a sign.

mellofelow

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about this specific issue. I frequently shop with Newegg and haven't had a problem like this. Since I live a few miles from their corporate building, trust me, I'd be steaming at their door step.

BTW, the first Far Cry remains my favorite game of all time. Too bad I heard Far Cry 2 isn't anything like it.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to hear about this specific issue. I frequently shop with Newegg and haven't had a problem like this. Since I live a few miles from their corporate building, trust me, I'd be steaming at their door step.

BTW, the first Far Cry remains my favorite game of all time. Too bad I heard Far Cry 2 isn't anything like it.

I know... I've ordered a LOT of stuff there and never had an issue... this is the first time ever. I'll allow them mistakes so long as it doesn't become habit and they are quick to correct as in this case. Customer Service was TOP NOTCH for my first time having to use it.

Yeah, the original Far Cry was GREAT!!! Did you install the 64 bit OS and run the 64 bit add-on? WOW! What a difference! With the new video card, I just may have to load up a drive with Vista64 and try that game all over again. :D