No Display, No turnover? Hotwire damage?

gkgk

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, someone stole my bike, cut all the ignition and display wires in an absurd attempt to hotwire. They didn't make it but a few blocks and I got my bike back.

I've replaced the blown fuses and reconnected all the ignition and display wires. But the display stays blank and the bike won't turn over. Nothing works but the blinkers and brake lights. Battery is charged and each repaired wire shows full conductivity from end-to-end.

What else could be wrong? The fuse should have protected things, but the only thing i can think of is that they fried the MCU somehow.

Any ideas to help me troubleshoot? I'd love to get back on the road.
Thanks

2007 FZ6

1643408782279.jpeg

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There's a good chance the starter interrupt-cutoff relay module is toast as they often fail after a hot wire attempt. But it also seems there is another problem and it may be due to a wire in the harness that was burned. Recheck every fuse again and carefully inspect your harness. Use your nose and feel along the wiring for abnormal crispyness. Yes, some part of the bike is not getting power. Once you get the display up you'll know what else it might need. Was the 30 amp main fuse blown?

gkgk

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, the forward 30 amp fuse near the battery was blown. The one towards the rear was still good. I'm not aware of other fuses, but I should look into if there are any other fuses anywhere.

I'll start looking into the starter interrupt-cutoff relay module. But that doesn't seem like it should affect the display turning on. But I'm not ruling out that there could be two independent problems to resolve.

Not having the display up is strange. All wires are conducting from the display wiring harness to their end points (@ other wiring harnesses)

Thanks for your response, Clif.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There are 2 red wires to the display. One has a green tracer and one has a white tracer. The red with white tracer is power to the display. When the key is on you should see 12 vdc nominal. The red with green tracer is constant 12 vdc back up voltage to the display CPU memory.

gkgk

Reaction score
Visit site
Update. I found the rear fuse box and sure enough another fuse was blown. Thanks for getting me to think about that. I'm posting a new thread more specific the next issue that emerged.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Update. I found the rear fuse box and sure enough another fuse was blown. Thanks for getting me to think about that. I'm posting a new thread more specific the next issue that emerged.
Great! Is the bike running now? Do you have your display working?