No power besides headlights and brake lights

zmiller09

Reaction score
Visit site
So long story short I was hit on my motorcycle couple month's back. Replaced the forks and everything works as it should now. But I started the bike up had it running and idling. Reved it up a couple time then lost all power dash lights turned off and the engine died. No weird noises or anything. All the lights and horn still work. Turn the key on and off nothing. Any ideas on where I should look first the fuse box by the battery doesn't seem to be getting any power. Thanks again

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do a load test on the battery. You may have a broken plate in the battery which allows 12+VDC on the output, but it doesn't carry any current. It has happened to me.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you check the fuses under the RIGHT (as you sit on the bike) "POD"?

You have to remove the seat, one allen head bolt atop the pod, then pop off the POD..

Also, when the key is initially turned on, do you hear the fuel pump (in the tank), kick on for 2-3 seconds?

RS POD:

Last edited:

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Check fuses, check your battery. If the battery is bad, replace it and then check your charging system. Stators are apparently a common failure point on our bikes.

If the battery is okay, then you need to start looking for bad connections and making friends with a wiring diagram.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I can bring in the battery to get load tested. No fuel pump noises at all.

Did you pull the POD and check fuses? Did you check that main fuse next to the battery, is there power to that?

A bad battery should still spin over the fuel pump, especially if you have lights.

Occasionally, the battery terminals loosen and cause issues. Check as you prepare to pull the battery for the load test..
[MENTION=2579]Motogiro[/MENTION]

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Since there was work done on the front end, I would inspect the connections at the actual ignition switch as well as inspect the harness in the steering area.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The battery was right. My bike i don't believe has a pod assembly im gonna try pulling relays and things.

Under the POD IS the fuses.

Do as you wish, good luck..

As Scott (TownsendsFJR1300) says in Post #3 and has circled in the picture, look for a blown fuse in the fuse block assembly. It is under that plastic pod he has circled in the picture. If you find a blown fuse inspect the wiring in the harness in the steering area for possible damage or look for a bad connection under the ignition switch. Fuses don't wear out. They fail when there is a problem. When you find the blown fuse you should look for what caused the fuse to blow. After repairing the problem, replace the fuse.:)

[MENTION=6338]TownsendsFJR1300[/MENTION]

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Clearly it is not the main 35A fuse at the battery but keep in mind there is a spare fuse there too. But only one powers the bike.

As Scott said, remove pod, open this black lid and check the fuses....
attachment.php

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Guess we'll never know.. Nice.... :(

It's sometimes hard to help others because there may be a minimal amount of experience that person has when they come for help. So vocabulary and familiarity with the language of mechanics and electric must be a minimal requirement to even start the trouble shooting steps. Often the person seeking help may be intimidated because they have no experience and they probably seek help elsewhere.
It can be frustrating for those of us that try to help...... but then I just go and readjust the feather valves on my engine... :)

Phoenixfire99

Reaction score
Visit site
Having the same issue - signal lights and horn work but no fuel pump no headlights and bike won’t turn over.

Battery was low because of the cold weather (At the time headlights were on and fuel pump worked but not enough juice to turn over).

Took it out and charged it.

Went to put it back in, and bike won’t turn on. Checked battery load - fine: 12.5 V.

Checked main fuse on battery cover - fine.

Checked headlight and ignition fuse under seat - both fine.

Someone mentioned to check POD fuse under the seat and to the right but the picture is expired, can someone help me out?

Any other suggestions?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You won’t have a headlight until the engine starts. Check the fuses for sure, but also check the connector at the fuel pump because you may have accidentally disconnected it when you raised the tank to remove the battery.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Went to put it back in, and bike won’t turn on. Checked battery load - fine: 12.5 V.
Any other suggestions?

You put the battery back in. When you say you checked the battery load, did you do a load test using a load tester?

When you say the bike wont turn on, do the lights come on? Do you hear the fuel pump prime? does the horn work?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Chirpity chirp......Chirpity chirp......Chirpity chirp......Chirpity chirp...... Lol!