Northeast FZ6 Meet - Aug 23rd 2008

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking to see who would be interested in a Northeast (White Mountains, NH) FZ6 meet but if you have friends who want to come on other bikes, they are more than welcome!

Questions:

Dates - August 23rd/24th. Ride is on the 23rd with the 24th being the rain date.
Time to meet: 8:00am, belly and tank full and PB4UGO!
Route Map: from:36 Main St, Lincoln, NH 03251 (Munce's Konvenience) to:Conway, NH to:RT-16/White Mountain Hwy @44.111066, -71.179454 to:Mt Washington Auto Rd @44.289279, -71.227458 to:Mt Washington Auto Rd @44.270024, -71.302532 to:US-2 @44.388052, -71.1730
Place to meet: Munce's Konvenience, 36 Main St., Lincoln, NH
Do you have a bike mounted GPS?
Do you have a helmet headset and an FRS/GRMS radio with PTT? ?MY wife and I have Motorola SX710's {14 mile} with helmet headsets and PTT button for the handlebar)
Due to the logistics of getting a camping place for everyone, we're going to list some sites and let you all choose your own. Too hard to find one that both aloows bikes at the tent as well as enough available spots for everyone coming.

Here's a listing of some places to stay. I'd suggest setting up reservations now if you plan on attending. Things can fill up FAST in this area!

Lodging in Lincoln, Loon and Woodstock, New Hampshire - Lincoln Woodstock NH Chamber of Commerce

Lincoln, New Hampshire NH - Hotels, Motels - See All Discounts

Cold Spring Campsites-New-Hampshire, White-Mountains, Western-White-Mountains Campground Review

Maple Haven

White Mountains Region Campgrounds - NH

Dinner at Muddy Moose Resturant and Pub - North Conway, NH

Here's the starting list of the group!

1. FZ6inNH (Eric) (FZ6) (Resort) (Radio)
2. FZ6inNH's wife (Michele) (V Star 650) (Resort) (Radio)
3. Reiobard (Rob) (FZ6) (Resort)
4. Keira (Mrs.Reiobard) (SV650) (Resort)
5. Andyjo (FZ6) (Camper)
6 Andyjo's Girlfriend (2up) (Camper)
7. Chuckfz6ryder (Chuck) (FZ6) (Camper)
8. Mrs. Chuckfz6ryder (Sandy) (FZ6) (Camper)
9. tom5796 (Tom) (FZ6N) (Camper)
10. Pondrat (Michael) (FZ6) (Camper)
11. ant_mb (FZ6) (Radio and GPS)
12. Oldfast007 (Eric) (FZ6)
13. githianki (Dave) (FZ6)
14. bcityroller (Scott) (FZ6 w/GPS)
15. markgm (Mark) (FZ6 w/GPS) (Radio) (Camper)
16. mpb218 (Mike) (FZ6)
17. aplmv (FZ6) (2UP) (Resort)

Talk it up! There's a lot of places up that way to camp but you'll need to plan sooner than later so anyone traveling can make reservations very early.

This will be a controlled ride with a leader and sweeper and no hooligans allowed. Breakouts from the pack will be asked to not finish the trip with the group and go their own way.

Typically a ride like this puts the experienced and faster riders in the front with a leader to control the pace and who has radio contact with the sweeper. The less experienced or slower riders are in the back and monitored by the sweeper. Before the ride, a series of hand signals will be communicated. Usually the lead pack might break away a bit from the slower riders but a good leader always checks in with the sweeper and ALWAYS stops at an intersection to wait for the group before making a direction change. At some points, the group can stop and some of the faster and experienced riders may make a couple "spirited" runs through a set of twisties while others may want a break and a stretch. :thumbup:

Myself and any others on this trip are not responsible for your safety. Proper riding technique, spacing in the group and stagger while riding are of the utmost importance. Proceed from stops as if you are alone with regards for your own safety. Never assume it is safe to proceed because the person in front of you has pulled away. When riding in the pack, the travel lane for a car is two lanes for the bikes with proper stagger and spacing. If the rider in front of you is riding the left (toward road center) tire groove, you must remain in the right (shoulder side) tire groove. If they swap because the group ahead has changed, please swap only after checking the proximity of the person immediately behind you. Use one foot or the other to point out road hazards for the rider(s) behind you.

This will be a very large group with some first-time group riders. Please watch out for the bike to the front and rear of you! A group this large can spread out very far. Avoid large gaps in the group, please keep proper spacing without falling behind. Do not play catch-up with hard acceleration, use smooth controlled increases in speed and catch up at a reasonable pace. Watch ahead for hand signals.

A good read for those of you just gaining experience is "The Pace" I HIGHLY recommend this as an almost mandatory read before taking your chances on the street as well as your first few group rides. :rtfm:

Hope we can have a big turnout and a 100% safe ride! :rockon:

:thumbup:

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Northeast FZ6 Meet - Interested?

Sounds like a great time, i will have to run it by the wife to see what we usually do that weekend but i would be down with it. I rode the Mt Washington road the summer before last. they shut it down for 1 day during bike week to cars and just let bike have the mountain. it was pretty cool, but still a very challenging road.

DCP_2265.jpg

DCP_2259.jpg

DCP_2256-Copy.jpg

DCP_2255.jpg

DCP_2254.jpg

DCP_2252.jpg

DCP_2251.jpg

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing!

We can certainly entertain other dates as well. My proposed date is merely a sugestion.

BTW, this would be a controlled ride with a pace. Designated leader and sweeper. Hooligans and stunters are not welcomed on this ride. You would be asked to break out on your own or leave the pack entirely. Safety first.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

BTW, this would be a controlled ride with a pace. Designated leader and sweeper. Hooligans and stunters are not welcomed on this ride. You would be asked to break out on your own or leave the pack entirely. Safety first.

I agree 100% camping would be an awesome idea also!!!

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site

Sounds good to me, count me in. My wife will likely go as well. Sounds like an excuse to buy some luggage for the bikes.

Chuck

H

HavBlue

While those pictures are beautiful I had to laugh at the Mt. Washington part. At 6,288ft in elevation that thing is a foothill. Thirty-five years ago when I came east the folks all talked about their big trees and again I got a good laugh. Man these things are tooth picks compared to a giant sequoia or a pacific redwood.

So what's the problem with the road? Is it full of cracks and marbles or what?

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

I'll be in upstate NY during early July. If that happens to be when you all get together that would be cool but don't make any changes on my account.

While those pictures are beautiful I had to laugh at the Mt. Washington part. At 6,288ft in elevation that thing is a foothill.

Mt. Washington is a bear, especially for it's size. It deserves a lot of respect for a number of reasons one of the most notable being that it boast the highest recorded wind speeds ANYWHERE ON EARTH and just generally has crazy weather.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

There is a bicycle race there every year and it is always epic. Snow, wind, cold and one hellva steep hill.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I'll be in upstate NY during early July. If that happens to be when you all get together that would be cool but don't make any changes on my account.

Nothing in the rule books that says we can't have more than 1. :rockon:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site

Nice...I've want to ride to Mt.W for a long time now...I always had a dream of skiing Tuckerman's as a kid but it never happened. I'll be in Saratoga Springs, NY for 9 days so I should be able to go for a 1 or 2 day ride up north. I also have my eye on louden!

I'd have the GPS and take all back roads but from the looks of this, it looks like a perfect one-way day trip.

Driving Directions from Wilton, NY to Mount Washington, NH

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Nice...I've want to ride to Mt.W for a long time now...I always had a dream of skiing Tuckerman's as a kid but it never happened. I'll be in Saratoga Springs, NY for 9 days so I should be able to go for a 1 or 2 day ride up north. I also have my eye on louden!

Would you be racing Loudon? or doing a track day? Tony's Track Days and LAPS (Lean Angle Performance School) are the 2 big track day groups at Loudon. The wife and i work at the races as corner workers and i think Keira will be corner working the track days that she can't ride in ($).

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Well, it has been a month since this was started. Time to bump it because of all the new members from the New England area!

We need to start planning a date, place to meet and a route.

Would you prefer sooner than later? Cooler weather or hotter 'n' he77? Saturday ride? Let's get some thoughts out on the table for discussion.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site

How'd I miss this thread???? I'm in, but would prefer a non holiday weekend if possiable. I tend to spend those with the kids. Either way you guys let me know when and I'm there. I have the Deals Gap meat the end of may so that weekend is out for me, but all others are fare game.

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site

I'm up for anything. planning something short notice is tough for me because I usually work around my son's schedule and whatever time is left is mine. A weekend camping trip sounds good to me. I don't care about temperature too much, but I'd probably bail if the weekend looks like heavy rain both days. In the meantime, anytime anyone wants to ride, keep asking and I hope to meet more of you guys/girls soon.

I have one of those fliers that you can pick up at NH rest stops, it claims to be the most scenic 100 miles in NH and I believe it was a loop, anyone interested or familiar with it?

tom5796

Fizshizzle
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I'm down for any time. Got to hike/snowboard Tucks a couple years ago. It'll be nice to go up with a motor.

Andyjo

Reaction score
Visit site

I was up at Tucks the other day too, the snow was awesome, took the lookers right line on the headwall ;)
I don't know if i'd be willing to ride up the mtn, i'd rather hike :p
But i'd be game for a camp/ride, and i'm pretty sure my co-pilot would be too :thumbup:

Andyjo

Reaction score
Visit site

How i wish i had shorter skiis so i could do this:
(First 2 seconds of the video)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixxmIpXSlNU"]YouTube - Pinkham Air Force #6[/ame]

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site

Andy,
Great video, but it's tearing me apart. I want to ride the FZ6, but hate to put the skis away, I watched Warren Miller's Fifty yesterday. Hope we can do both as a group with some of forum members