Norther Canada Ehh?

S

sportrider

Northern Canada Ehh?

hey Mr. Moderator, I noticed you didn't have any threads in your forum. so here is your first one!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome! Are your from around here? We are a great bunch of people up here who enjoy to ride and ride to the next warm igloo 50 miles away. LOL

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
:p:thumbup:
...and stop poking through the ice in our territorial waters up there with those silly submarines...don't make me dig up my Lee-Enfield and go up there. :D

BTW...an acquaintance has just returned from a couple of months' trip on a KLR up to the Yukon and Alaska and back. Now that would be an adventure on a bike. :rockon:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey biker dude , is your life style going to change now you're a moderator ? ;)
The potential is vast, just like the area.....:D

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey biker dude , is your life style going to change now you're a moderator ? ;)
The potential is vast, just like the area.....:D

I'm so overwhelmed by the responsibilties..... auuugh! I chose northern Canada because I didn't expect any posts (thanks sportrider!) because let's face it, their ride season is shorter than mine. Don't get me wrong, if there are any FZ6 owners from northern Canada and lurking around, come join us! I will be the first to welcome you. Whooot, let the party begin....:rockon:

S

sportrider

I'm so overwhelmed by the responsibilties..... auuugh! I chose northern Canada because I didn't expect any posts (thanks sportrider!)
your welcome!!! like I like to say "sink or swim, your hitting the water" nothing like breaking you in proper!!!!:D

Y

yukon_alex

I live in the north!

Hello everybody!

I am not yet a FZ6 owner but I want to be one. I am traveling to Vancouver in a couple of weeks to look at and buy a 2007 FZ6, hopefully in blue. The big plan is to have the dealership hold onto it until the Middle of April and then I will fly back to Vancouver and spend a serene 8-9 days riding back to Whitehorse. I plan on riding some roads in BC I have never even heard of! Woohoo.

I look forward to getting to know this community better. I will likely have some questions and I am sure that you will be able to help!

I know there is at least one more FZ6 in Whitehorse and if I get to talk with the owner this coming riding season, I will direct them this way as well.

Alex

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everybody!

I am not yet a FZ6 owner but I want to be one. I am traveling to Vancouver in a couple of weeks to look at and buy a 2007 FZ6, hopefully in blue. The big plan is to have the dealership hold onto it until the Middle of April and then I will fly back to Vancouver and spend a serene 8-9 days riding back to Whitehorse. I plan on riding some roads in BC I have never even heard of! Woohoo.

I look forward to getting to know this community better. I will likely have some questions and I am sure that you will be able to help!

I know there is at least one more FZ6 in Whitehorse and if I get to talk with the owner this coming riding season, I will direct them this way as well.

Alex

Welcome to the forum Alex, this is the place to find any info you're looking for.
considering your bike will be winterized for a long time you'll have plenty of time to be an active member of the forum.:justkidding:

I'm curious what are the roads like in those northern climes?

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Alex, welcome to the forum! :thumbup: I'm glad someone finally joined who is legitimately living more north than I am on this forum. You’ll find lots of information, great help, and friendly advice here. ;)

Y

yukon_alex

Nice welcome, Yukon roads...

Thanks for the nice and QUICK welcome! It has been about three years since my last bike so I am getting very anxious to get a new bike and get riding!

The highways and some roads in the Yukon are paved with BST (bituminous surface treatment, sometimes called chip seal), this is a process where the road surface is stripped, graded, upgraded as necessary and then a layer of hot oil/tar is sprayed on and gravel is put on top of that. Then a packer does its work and the road becomes "smooth" and covered with loose gravel. Eventually, the loose gravel is flung from the road surface as vehicles drive over it and it ends up similar to pavement like you find down south. Sounds pretty bad doesn't it? It's not really. It is very abrasive, though and can be very hard on tires. In many ways a large dual sport (think GS or V-Strom) makes a lot of sense.

I can tell you that most of the riders that live here have street bikes and ride the roads (paved) exclusively. Of course, there are probably 1000's of kms of unpaved roads as well where the big dual sports make a LOT of sense.

Its a great place to ride in the summer though. Not many places where you can ride at midnight and need sunglasses!:cool:

Alex

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
Hello everybody!

Alex

you better wait till late may... I have had some killer skiing wiht nice POW in april in BC and Alberta