Need Help Off to View a 2007 FZ6 ABS Tomorrow...

noodldoodl

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all, I'd never even ridden a bike until March of this year, and after just passing my test on the 14th of this month I've been scouring Facebook Marketplace for bikes to buy. I was about to go see a Honda Hornet 900 (because no carbs) but then stumbled upon an absolutely stock 2007 FZ6 ABS with 12k miles that looks to be in wonderful condition. So I'm off on a train ride to Scotland tomorrow to go and take a look, but likely as not I'll be laying down a deposit and have joined the Fazer club before long. TBH I was hooked on the naked FZ6 by watching YouTube vids made by a UK vlogger, but I'm looking at buying the semi-faired version, so that I can do some tours without getting blown off the back.

Any advice to the absolute novice who has less than 20 hours riding experience? (I passed my car test in 1988 - so I do have a lot of road sense) - is there any part of these forums that I should be dedicating myself to reading first? For my first bike have I potentially made the right choice? What should be the first thing I do to my bike once I get it home?

It's a bit daunting to think that the first ever solo motorbike ride that I'll do is a 100+ mile trip back home on my new Fazer!

Pics from tomorrow's mission to follow!

Thanks for any help :eek:)

Davey

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Davey,

The FZ6 is a great first bike...and a great bike to grow with. I have 50 years of riding experience and over 40 on the roads, and I truly enjoy the FZ. It is a do-it-all motorcycle.

12,000 miles is certainly a lightly used bike (less than 1,000 miles per year). Likely the first 10,000 miles were accumulated in a short period, and the next 2k took forever. If the bike has been stored outside I'd be looking for corrosion and the ill effects of UV rays on the rubber and plastic. If its been stored in a garage...buy the bike.

Since the bike sat for long periods, I'd have a good look at the tires. Find the date code and make sure the tires aren't more than 6-7 years old. The date code is found in a little oval on the side wall. It's 4 digits; the first two being the week of manufacturer and the second two being the year; so 2811 means that the tires (or tyres) were made in June of 2011. Hopefully you don't see that sequence. Most important, make sure the tire pressure is correct. I run my bike at 32 psi at the front and 36 psi at the rear, but for a long highway ride I will increase the rear to 40 psi.

If the bike starts and runs well...you needn't worry about the fuel - but if the bike has been stored outside I'd change the filter asap when you get it home. The filter is inside the fuel tank.

I would be concerned about the brake fluid for a 100 mile ride. First, make sure it can be seen in the site window. If not, top it off before your ride. When you get the bike home, I'd flush the front and rear brakes if the fluid isn't nearly clear.

Make sure all of the lights work, especially the brake lights from both sources.

noodldoodl

Reaction score
Visit site
Gary, thanks ever so much for your input and advice. I'm currently sat on a train en route to Scotland to view the bike. I feel better armed to make an informed decision about it now and will let you know how it goes.

All the best,
Davey