Oil leak occurs again

Shinleung

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I don't do the maintenance of the bike myself except some minor mods and I bring it to the dealer according to the suggested interval from the service manual.

I found out a leak on the left side of my engine and I told the dealer to fix it.
I didn't check after they did the service but it seemed okay.
After a few thousand KMs, it started leaking again.

View attachment 27291

View attachment 27292

I know it might not be too much of a problem but its just not okay to me.

Can anyone tell me what's the cause of it?

Some of my friends told me that if an engine started leaking, no matter what you do, it will keep leaking, I am wondering if that's true?

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
There's a limited number of things that would cause a leak around that cover.

The most likely, in my view, would be the person who installed that cover did not follow a proper torque pattern when tightening the cover bolts.

Just going around the cover clockwise or counter clockwise, tightening all the bolts in sequence will result in a small gap between the cover and the block, somewhere on the perimeter. The sequential tightening typically 'pushes' a bubble around ahead of the pattern.

I believe you are identifying the leak. Probably that bolt nearest the cast in mounting lug on the front of the engine block.

Just because you can identify where the leak is coming from doesn't necessarily mean that adding more force to that specific bolt will solve the leak. Brute force MAY work..... but this is a steel bolt going into aluminum. Tighten it too much, and you will tear the threads out of the block.

My suggested repair would be to loosen all of the cover bolts to finger tight, and re-torque them to spec in an appropriate 'star' pattern. It wouldn't hurt, to pull the bolts out, and clean the old thread locker off of them, and apply some fresh stuff.

If that doesn't seal the leak, taking the cover all the way off, replacing the gasket with a new one, and repeating would be my next step.

If THAT doesn't seal it, adding some gasket sealer would be my third try.

Shinleung

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
There's a limited number of things that would cause a leak around that cover.

The most likely, in my view, would be the person who installed that cover did not follow a proper torque pattern when tightening the cover bolts.

Just going around the cover clockwise or counter clockwise, tightening all the bolts in sequence will result in a small gap between the cover and the block, somewhere on the perimeter. The sequential tightening typically 'pushes' a bubble around ahead of the pattern.

I believe you are identifying the leak. Probably that bolt nearest the cast in mounting lug on the front of the engine block.

Just because you can identify where the leak is coming from doesn't necessarily mean that adding more force to that specific bolt will solve the leak. Brute force MAY work..... but this is a steel bolt going into aluminum. Tighten it too much, and you will tear the threads out of the block.

My suggested repair would be to loosen all of the cover bolts to finger tight, and re-torque them to spec in an appropriate 'star' pattern. It wouldn't hurt, to pull the bolts out, and clean the old thread locker off of them, and apply some fresh stuff.

If that doesn't seal the leak, taking the cover all the way off, replacing the gasket with a new one, and repeating would be my next step.

If THAT doesn't seal it, adding some gasket sealer would be my third try.

It makes sense to me. I can't believe that the service manual never mentioned about the star pattern. 'Star pattern' remind me of tuning a drum.

Btw, do i have to drain the engine oil? thank you very much

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the above information. Its also possible the tech nicked the case or cover when cleaning it for a new gasket (happened to my clutch cover on my old Goldwing).

I'd check for straightness/nicks, get a new gasket, and use just a little bit of Yamabond case sealer on the gasket. Torque in a cirsscross pattern to specs.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
It makes sense to me. I can't believe that the service manual never mentioned about the star pattern. 'Star pattern' remind me of tuning a drum.

Btw, do i have to drain the engine oil? thank you very much

Someone will have to verify, but I don't think you need to do anything with the engine oil.... the level in the sump should be below that cover's lowest point.

Shinleung

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
just an update.

I went back to the dealer and he found out that the previous person who changed the gasket put sealant around the gasket but didn't cover the whole circumference.

The previous service was done from the same dealer, different person though!

!!!

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
just an update.

I went back to the dealer and he found out that the previous person who changed the gasket put sealant around the gasket but didn't cover the whole circumference.

The previous service was done from the same dealer, different person though!

!!!

And are they fixing it for free?

Shinleung

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
hmm...

I thought that it was good because it is the dealer and service shop of some major brands...

considering seriously going to the other mechanic near where I get my service done, i've heard that they are good.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
hmm...

I thought that it was good because it is the dealer and service shop of some major brands...

considering seriously going to the other mechanic near where I get my service done, i've heard that they are good.

Wolfman has a point.....

You paid them the first time to do it right, and they did not. I would have absolutely no problems reminding them of that. You aren't paying them to get it wrong. You pay them, because they have the knowledge and experience to get it right the first time. If they don't you have the right to get your money back..... Or go to another shop, and have them bill the first people for the work they obviously didn't complete correctly.

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
ask them to fix it for free or else you have the right to go the law way. i bet they wont charge you. its not your fault its the dealers fault even if an other worker did the job wrong its again the dealers fault. he should have known if his stuff can do it or not. what if he made a mistake servicing your brakes for example? ask for a free full bike inspection too! if this guy didn't know how to change a cover he might didn't know how to do other things on your bike too.
dealer is asking for it. dont pay him! even if you just want your bike fixed and you are willing to pay, pay an other dealer to do it right.