Penske 8993 shock

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I've found a new home for my FZ6 so I'm returning the bike to (mostly) stock and selling my Penske shock. I bought this shock new last summer after taking the FZ6 to California Superbike School. I had it sprung for a 175lb rider and said that I would do only a few track days a year, so it is still plenty comfortable on the street. The shock made a tremendous difference in both traction and comfort. I was glad to have been talked into getting this over the 8900E to adjust rebound and compression independently. It also allows for height adjustment independent of preload. I combined the shock with R6 forks (already sold) and I had no problem gaining on the supersports in the corners, even using sport touring tires. I did two more track days with it last year and put about 2k street miles on it before swapping the stock shock back on this spring.

It's in great shape with just a couple very small blemishes from install and removal a few times (I experimented with where to put the reservoir). Comes with all original Penske packaging and tool. Enjoy the whole season on a new shock! $650 shipped to your door.

SpbrxNLh.jpg

Last edited:

Tom24GR

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello @beatle ,

I know that this is an old post but I was wondering what spring rate you have on this shock? I have the same one installed on an fz6 I recently purchased. Also, does it say the spring rate on the spring itself?

Lastly, how can you adjust ride height independent of preload? The collar is for preload but how would I do the ride height?

Thanks in advance.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello @beatle ,

I know that this is an old post but I was wondering what spring rate you have on this shock? I have the same one installed on an fz6 I recently purchased. Also, does it say the spring rate on the spring itself?

Lastly, how can you adjust ride height independent of preload? The collar is for preload but how would I do the ride height?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• doc.pdf
    610.4 KB · Views: 8

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Beatle sold his FZ, so there is a good chance he wont see your questions.

Preload doesn't adjust ride height beyond sag control. However the 8900 series shock does have limited shock length adjustability. To adjust shock length you remove the lower shock bolt, freeing the lower shock mount. From there you loosen the jam nut and adjust the lower shock mount turnbuckle (where the gold portion joins the black in the above photo). Be sure to tighten the jam nut after adjustment. Be careful getting too far away from the stock shock length. The length of the shock also determines the amount of swing in the swingarm. Too long or short and you'll run out of chain slack, causing premature wear on the chain and sprockets, as well as potentially dangerous handling under hard acceleration/squat.

Spring rate selection has nothing to do with the shock, and everything to do with the combined weight of the rider and the bike. You can use the racetech spring rate calculator to get the correct rate for you and your FZ6. The spring rate should be etched into the spring towards one of the the ends. At the very least there should be a part number. It may be a Penski part number, or a Racetech, or a Traction Dynamics or a....