plastic repair

meadeam

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone here ever attempted to repair cracked plasic on their bike? Previous owner dropped it and put a couple cracks in the upper fairing. Nothing serious, I could leave it and be just fine. But if it isn't a total PITA I might try repairing this winter. I have a small dent in the tank I may tackle as well.

The alternative would be to replace the plastics and tank, but I think the would be hard to come by.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a small crack in my fairing, way lower left side mounting hole.

I used JB Weld on it (just on the inside-no paint repair) and it's been holding fine for a couple of years.

I've also done some plastic welding using a soldering gun and zip ties as the filler on mostly chain saws, pull starter to block assemblies. Those have held up well on a customers commercial saw (beat to death!). Just do some practicing and check out You Tube.. They have some good videos there..

This Echo saw, I welded (actually melted), some small nuts into the plastic block using mucho heat from a soldiering gun. Heat the nut and push into the block while hot. Shown are aftermarket machine screws holding the pull starter cover on. W/O this fix, it would have needed a new plastic block (cost prohibitive & a parts saw..) .

JHM

Reaction score
Visit site
Best i have found is Permatex Plastic Weld.
It contains the compound methyl methacrylate which is what you will find in industrial plastic bonders.
I repaired my headlight mounting studs with it and it's still holding after 2 years. JB weld marine putty let go inside a year :(