Poor MPG: Things are not always as they appear to be...

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Over the past 6 months I have noticed a slow but steady decrease in fuel efficiency from my 04 FZ with 76000 miles. As I use Fuelly to track mileage it has been easy to see the decline from consistent 52-55 MPG down to the 42-45 MPG mark. I became quite frustrated that this was happening without any obvious symptoms as to the root cause, so I proceeded to do a thorough investigation of many systems to find the cure.

Here is a copy of my troubleshooting document from April 2012:

• Checked valve clearances, every valve was perfect in middle of range.
• Checked spark plugs. Clean, consistent, correct gaps.
• Inspected air filter, good.
• Checked ignition coils, all checked within design specs.
• Found a small restriction in the intake vacuum pressure circuit, cleared but didn’t seem to make a difference.
• Checked vacuum sensor, within range.
• Checked timing rotor, ok.
• Synced throttle bodies, they did not require large adjustments.
• Checked catalytic convertor for fouling, no problems.
• Voltage at ECU, as indicated by the diag display is 11.5 but system voltage measured elsewhere is fine. Might be a weak connection but will wait to see if this changes.
• Looked for mechanical drag, nothing found.

It might be a bad injector, although plugs don’t indicate a rich condition on any cylinder. AIS could be a problem but the reed valves worked and the default solenoid position is closed so this is very unlikely. There is no oil consumption and power delivery is smooth so cylinder/valve wear is unlikely, but a compression test will be next if the fuel mileage doesn’t improve with another load of fuel from a different source.

So, at this point I had no idea what was causing the problem. The mileage really went down as speed increased, which was out of the ordinary for me. On the first weekend of May I had to travel from Los Angeles to the San Fransisco area to visit Lefty and attend the AMA races at Infineon Raceway. I packed very light for this journey, just a tank bag and backpack as I wanted to minimize wind resistance. Going up the infamous (DULL) I-5 that traverses North-South I set a steady 75-80 MPH pace to keep up with traffic. Now the problem just became stupid, watching the fuel gauge drop every 30-35 miles, just pissing me off and making me run through the checklist over and over in my head trying to think of what I must have missed in diagnosing this problem. 2 fuel ups and I am getting right at 41 MPG, this sucks. And just when I thought that I had no ideas left, providence steps in...

I am starting to go up a grade, following and passing other vehicles and speeds were still around 75-80 MPH. As I began a pass and rolled on the throttle I noticed that I couldn't increase speed at all. I throttled down and back up and still no response. At this point it became clear that I had a random misfire on at least 1 cylinder. Backed down the speed and started to accelerate again and the misfire disappeared and returned as speed increased. Ok, bad spark plug(s), I'll replace them as soon as I get into town, but why didn't they appear bad when I checked them just a few days before the trip?? I started thinking some more and I suddenly had a revelation.

Last year, at ~66000 miles, I decided to replace the standard NGK CR9EK plugs with a set of NGK CR9EIX Iridium units. Although the original plugs measured well and looked serviceable I got a great deal from Amazon and changed them as part of a service interval. No problems at that time, and I did a couple of tours last summer without a mileage issue. But since then, it s-l-o-w-l-y got worse, and nothing else was altered.

So, I stopped at the Cycle Gear in San Carlos and bought a new set of CR9EK (non-Iridium) and installed at Lefty's before I began the return journey. Measured at highway speeds since the change I am back to the usual 50+ with no other repairs. After discussing this with Lefty, who also change to Iridium plugs last year, he mentioned that he has also noticed a slow but steady decrease in mileage as well.

After all of this, my conclusion is that the Iridium plugs are not suitable for my FZ. 10000 miles of ever decreasing performance/mileage is unacceptable. I believe that the stock ignition coils on an FZ just don't have the necessary secondary voltage to overcome the deposits and degradation that buildup on the miniscule center electrode. Remember, I measured and closely inspected them less than 300 miles before they failed! When new they work fine but I want longevity out of the parts I put on my FZ.

So, if any of my fellow FZ owners find themselves with a similar set of circumstances, consider putting in a new set of standard non-Iridium NGK CR9EK.

Comments/discussions are welcome on this subject!

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll expand on this post later, as I'm on my way to work - but I have also authored a post asking for suggestions/advice regarding my lowering fuel economy.

My Iridiums are about 7000kms old and I only ever use 98RON.

Be interesting to see if there's a change by going back to the standard plugs for me.

Thanks for your advice!

Cheers,
Rick

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
I see that it is a '04 bike, mine is the same and I had some mpg problems when the TPS went bad. They replaced it under a factory recall. You actually can perform a test from the bike's computer to see it that is a problem. Then there's tire pressure, riding style

Ben_H

Reaction score
Visit site
I feel the same way. I did iridiums last year and noticed a drop in mpg and could not find any cause. Maybe I will pick up a set of standard plug this week and try and see if it helps. I also only get about 42 mpg on a good day.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn me too, I've even had as bad as 36 one time!!! Is there anything we could do to push some more juice to the plugs?

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I changed to the Iridiums last year, but haven't noticed any change in MPG. I average around 40 and am usually right there, not a lot of variance. that's about what I was getting bone stock before doing mods as well.

That being said, I'm constantly messing with the PCV and stupid Autotune now that I wouldn't be notice. :)

Scorp

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Pope Mobile

Von Skump
Reaction score
Visit site
My average is around 42mpg with standard plugs. That's on a 50 mile roundtrip commute. ~15 miles of city(ish) riding and ~35 of highway/cruising. I've gotten as high as 53.7mpg on a roadtrip.
Definitely sticking with non-iridiums after reading your info and telling my friend (also an FZ6 owner) about this.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
Great info! I'm getting ready to replace my sparkplugs and I was considering going the Iridium route. I think I'll just stick with the standard Copper plugs when I do the swap.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I've always run nothing but standard copper plugs on ALL my vehicles/bikes. Copper provides the best spark, iridium and platinum will take longer to wear out but at some loss of performance! There is always a trade off. It's really not that hard to replace your stock plugs every 10,000 miles.

I'm still getting 47.5 mpg average and 50 on trips.

hazy

Reaction score
Visit site
Ther is no difference when i replace OEM copper plug to Denso iridium plugs.There is no increase in MPG or performance.Having say that,my MPG remains rather constant for the last 40,000km at about 20km/l.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Good info - I'll thank everyone for sharing "what not to do!"

I would like to caution everyone about making choices based measuring primary and secondary coil resistance and jumping to conclusions that the coil and wires are fine based upon a resistance reading of the coil and wires. Even NEW ones for that matter.

99% of us have no way to check the break down voltage of the coil and that's usually the point of failure. That being said often times the best we can do is to load the ignition system to a point of failure by misting it with water. Which is not so easy to do with the coils where they are. All I'm saying is you can measure them hot, measure them cold but until you test the dialectic strength (arc-over voltage) of the insulating materials they're made of so you really don't know if they're any good.

• Checked ignition coils, all checked within design specs.

Traits of bad coil / coil wire:
Misfires under load i.e. at idle or when accelerating
-> Even lessor grades of gas can change this. Some burn easier than others and some formulas are simply harder to burn than others.
Misfires when damp or humidity goes up.
Misfires when cold

i.e. misfires may feel like a stumble, hesitation, sluggish, loss of power etc.

Keep this in mind and if you need to troubleshoot this kind of problem that sometimes the best tool is your ear and long tube and/or a spray bottle of water. You should not be able to kill a healthy ignition system by spraying water on it and you should not be able to hear arc-over of a spark jumping to ground.

bob808

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, so 34-37mgp ain't right? I thought it was normal...somewhat. I mean, I don't ride slow but I ain't no racer. Commuting to work 50km every day, half in city, with 80mph max outside the city. And also have iridium sparks. Last trip with gf in back and fully loaded topcase was 37.5mpg, and I ride even slower with passenger. Got a small windscreen even. So something's up then? Can anyone confirm the iridium theory?

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
What about the ignition coils?
May be they get old in time and need to be changed.
Do they loose their performance in time?
I see too many Fz6 coils for sale on ebay, do they change or upgrade them i don't know.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm really thinking about trying those NOLOGY profire coils, if for nothing else to see if I can get some mpg back while keeping the iridiums.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm really thinking about trying those NOLOGY profire coils, if for nothing else to see if I can get some mpg back while keeping the iridiums.

I looked the site over last night - did I miss something. . . lots of talk but I didn't stumble upon the spec sheet full of fact to support the hype.

Considering the population of folks on here and the percent who have coil issues, I'm guessing you can't go wrong so long as the specs match. Some of the ignition modules look for ring back from the coil so it knows it fired but I doubt our FZ is one of them. FOr that to happen it needs to create the same signature from the coil.

So I'm curious, to the folks who have the expensive iridium plugs, has anyone dropped a heat range to keep them clean? Can someone post pictures of the suspect plugs that cost them MPG and better yet, how many owners of said plugs RUN THE CRAP OUT OF THE BIKE AS THE NORM?

I ask, because keeping it clean is likely what matters here and the way to do that is Good deposit free Gas and Keeping it hot.

Anyway - just thinking out loud. Where's RJ? He's good with this stuff