Portland Oregon: What do I need to see?

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
My wife and I are going to Portland for 6 days during the first week of October. We have visited before but didn't have time to truly explore. For those of you who either live there or know of the less "tourist" sites, can you give me a recommendation or two? Microbreweries, book stores, local historical venues, scenic hikes, etc... I will have a car so traveling out of the metro area is not a problem.

Thanks in advance.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I approve and was to say the same thing. . . beer, wine, movies, golf, open pit fire. Nice place to visit.

Hood River is 45" drive east, cool town and the Full Sale Brewery has good beer and food. If you've never seen kite boards and people flying through the air on a tiny board, The Columbia river is the place. Also there are countless water falls along the way two and large damn between OR/WA.

Oregon coast is 2 hours from PDX, Ten million gift shops and lots of fresh sea food. let me think about "in PDX" todo. . .

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Multnomah Falls about 30 miles east from city center on I-84, towards Hood River Oregon as someone else mentioned. You can also hike up to the top of the falls. Just past the falls, Bonneville Dam and you can go and watch the fish ladder through the glass windows. You can also keep on going to HR and then head south towards Mt. Hood Oregon and visit Timberline Lodge. I want to say the Mt. Hood Loop is like 160 miles or so.

P1000859.jpg

Where they filmed the movie Shining. If you remember. Timberline Lodge.

P1000863.jpg

Last edited:

Fat Broke

Reaction score
Visit site
Jerry's Rogue Jets Oregon's only Mail Boat

My father and I did this several years ago, it was absolutely fantastic!

1200 hp jet boat up and down class 4 rapids, a stop up top for lunch.

Exciting, they spin the boat a few times... I HIGHLY recommend it!

Silver Falls State park is another wonderful place.

Enjoy!!!

norcalwelder

Reaction score
Visit site

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
I moved away >10 years ago, but:

+1 on the Mt Hood loop and anything McMenamins.

Downtown you have the Saturday Market (must do, both for what's there and people-watching), Pioneer Square (go stand in the corner and talk...a local will show you what to do), Tugboat (my favorite brew pub, small but awesome), Powell's (claims to be the biggest used book store in the world), Church of Elvis (just because), Jakes/McCormicks seafood restaurant (upscale)...I'm sure others can keep a list of downtown attractions going...

On the outskirts, the test rose garden, and Japanese Garden are both impressive, if you like that sort of thing.

This is starting to make me miss PDX!:(

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Microbrews per my best friend...that has lived in Portland for 3 years and is a bit of a lush:

Hair of the Dog, deuchutes, double mountain, and another nod for full sail

He rides an SV650...don't hold it against him. Oh yeah, his name is David and he is french...go figure.

Last edited:

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Microbrews per my best friend...Oh yeah, his name is David and he is french...go figure.

Quite a coincidence, huh? My goal is to sample the efforts of at least two different microbreweries each day. I toured and dined at the Full Sail facility last time. At another pub I had a Mt. Hood Cloudcap Amber Ale that was perfectly balanced.

Thanks to each of the replies so far, I truly appreciate everyone taking time to share with a stranger (at least some of you!) I still have 2+weeks to plan my activities so keep them coming.

Last edited:

AidanM

Inspired to Ride
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if you were wantin' to go to church while here in Portland, but Solid Rock is a fantastic church and it has 3 locations with services all throughout the day. The westside location has a free bbq after the 6pm service too (Not sure if it will be going on into October though.) I usually ride there and there are a few fellow motorcyclists who attend there. Nothin' weird goin' on here, just a lot of good people who are trying to live for Jesus.

First Baptist Church, 909 Southwest 11th Avenue Portland, OR 97205 (Downtown)

10500 SW Nimbus Ave. Bldg. T Portland, OR 97223
(Westside)

Branches Church, 2900 Northwest 229th Hillsboro, OR 97124
(Hillsboro)

as far as "touristy" things, +1 on the Saturday Market, if you like wine instead of beer, Newberg (SW of Portland)has over 400 boutique wineries and plenty of tasting rooms.

Last edited:

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You will have to try McMinnimums Tomahawk. It's half IPA and half Hammerhead. :BLAA: Tasty. Too many great places to see and do. I'm sure you will enjoy. Please feel free to call me. I will be leaving for Cabo on the 7th for a week however. That can be a great time to go to the coast where it's not as wendy as during the summer. 5037809175. :thumbup:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you make to the Oregon Coast, up north at Astoria is the Wet Dog Cafe Astoria Brewing Company. Good food and lots of brews. . .

Did you say you you've been to the back side of Mt Hood; Cloud Cap? Great view, friendly people and food good. From Hwy-35, take Cooper Spur ski exit.

AidanM

Inspired to Ride
Reaction score
Visit site
Another great place to stop for a quick bite if you're coast-bound would be Pronto Pups, they've got some pretty legendary corn dogs.

1252 Salmon River Hwy
Otis, OR 97368

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
as far as "touristy" things, +1 on the Saturday Market, if you like wine instead of beer, Newberg (SW of Portland)has over 400 boutique wineries and plenty of tasting rooms.

The wineries around Newburg is also on the way to the Oregon Coast. it puts you at Lincoln City. Head North and Cannon Beach Or is also a neat town and beach and you can head back to PDX via US Hwy 26, so another big day loop so to speak.