Possibly buying an FZ6

kruch

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Ladies and Gents,

Been lurking the forums researching the bike, and going shopping today. I've narrowed it down to either buying a new 300, or an 09' blue and black fz6 with 6k miles from an older mature fellow. The FZ6 is a steal in my opinion because he's only getting rid of it cause of his chronic pain in his wrists. He's asking 5200 for the bike with new tires on em. What you guys think? I can knock off a few hundred off the asking price?

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Ladies and Gents,

Been lurking the forums researching the bike, and going shopping today. I've narrowed it down to either buying a new 300, or an 09' blue and black fz6 with 6k miles from an older mature fellow. The FZ6 is a steal in my opinion because he's only getting rid of it cause of his chronic pain in his wrists. He's asking 5200 for the bike with new tires on em. What you guys think? I can knock off a few hundred off the asking price?

Those are two vastly different bikes...

Given that summer is just about to hit, bikes will be at a premium. 5200 is a fair price. I picked up a 2009 with 6k miles 4 weeks ago for 4500.

kruch

Reaction score
Visit site
Those are two vastly different bikes...

Given that summer is just about to hit, bikes will be at a premium. 5200 is a fair price. I picked up a 2009 with 6k miles 4 weeks ago for 4500.

Oh believe me I know, I've just narrowed it down to these two in specific. If the FZ6 doesn't check out I'd just rather buy something new that's all. Dang, I have quite a little margin to fill. Gonna try and ask for lower, we will see how he's feeling.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Anything less than $4,500 would be a steal this time of year on such a low mileage FZ6.

Not sure how much a new Ninja 300 is running these days but honestly the FZ6 is a better bike to grow into and is capable of sport-bike duty or light touring for weekend trips.

If I were buying a bike ONLY for short commutes and some curvy road riding the 300 would be a top candidate because I love fuel economy. The FZ6 will get 45-50 mpg if you ride it reasonably but it sure is nice to have those 98 ponies when you want to have some fun or merge onto a freeway.

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh believe me I know, I've just narrowed it down to these two in specific. If the FZ6 doesn't check out I'd just rather buy something new that's all. Dang, I have quite a little margin to fill. Gonna try and ask for lower, we will see how he's feeling.

Also depends on accessories he's added. If it's completely stock, I would say $5200 is just a bit high. Kelley Blue book has that FZ at $4750 in excellent condition, might be slightly different based on your zip code.

KBB for Motorcycles.

For your sake, I hope it's in good shape, and that you guys pull of the deal! You won't be disappointed... helluva bike!

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Id try to work him down a bit on the price, like others have said $5200 isnt terrible if the bike checks out to be in tip top health.

Last year I paid $4700 for my 08 FZ6...with 600 miles on it. Only reason I paid that much was because it looked like I rolled it off the showroom floor.

Also if you are serious about the motorcycle lifestyle Id totally recommend the FZ over a 300(ninja?). Everyone I know who owned a Ninja wanted to upgrade after one season. GREAT beginner bikes and awesome for a novice, but if you commute or ride the highways you quickly wish you had a bigger bike.

kruch

Reaction score
Visit site
It's going to be my first bike, I've had some experience here and there with dirt bikes and family letting me ride around their sport bikes. Did the MSF course a few weeks back and feel pretty ready for what the fz6 has to offer. I just want to get a deal out of this and not get ripped off.

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Ladies and Gents,

Inform the old man that he should just buy different handlebars. The stock bars hurt my wrists too. Don't buy that bike it is way overpriced.

Reaction score
Visit site
Also depends on accessories he's added. If it's completely stock, I would say $5200 is just a bit high. Kelley Blue book has that FZ at $4750 in excellent condition, might be slightly different based on your zip code.

KBB for Motorcycles.

For your sake, I hope it's in good shape, and that you guys pull of the deal! You won't be disappointed... helluva bike!

KBB Suggested retail value is $4750 in Providence also.. Trade-in value is just $3265 :eek: But N.A.D.A retail is $5775

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's going to be my first bike, I've had some experience here and there with dirt bikes and family letting me ride around their sport bikes. Did the MSF course a few weeks back and feel pretty ready for what the fz6 has to offer. I just want to get a deal out of this and not get ripped off.

Gotcha. The price is anything, but cheap, but it does sound like you'd be getting pretty much a new bike.
Come selling time, you will no doubt lose more on the Ninja (simply because new bikes lose 20% or so, the minute they're out the door.. and don't forget dealer fees, taxes, etc).

You are also more likely to hold on to FZ6 longer. Ninja is an amazing bike and it's possible to keep it for many years and love it, but most people don't.. most sell after they feel they've gotten comfortable enough on a motorcycle to move up to something bigger.

kruch

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I think either way the guy has some room for wiggle room, he said he put risers on the bars but his carpotunal is too bad, another thing he mentioned is it has brand new tires. So I'll take that into account, anyhow going to go look at it in a few hours, wish me luck! Maybe I'll join the Fz6 club soon.

Zmarksthespot

Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck. I'm getting back into riding and was looking at the ninja 300, 650, fz6r and cbr500r. Then I found the FZ6, sat on one and fell in love. I think it's the perfect all round bike. I'm also a sucker for the under seat exhaust.

I'm still searching for one to pull the trigger on.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah man it was tough between a used 600 (my FZ6) and a new Ninja 300. I never got to try out the 300 and I happened upon the FZ by accident (I was going to look at a CBR600 and he pulled the FZ out too). I have some buyers remorse wondering what it would have been like to ride the 300 but I still love my bike a lot.

Perhaps when I get my own place I can have both, I'm just a sucker for lightweight flickability though the FZ flicks surprisingly well for its height, weight and rear tire width

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I think either way the guy has some room for wiggle room, he said he put risers on the bars but his carpotunal is too bad, another thing he mentioned is it has brand new tires. So I'll take that into account, anyhow going to go look at it in a few hours, wish me luck! Maybe I'll join the Fz6 club soon.

I'm guessin this never happened - >> i.e. post count and its been almost a year now.. 05-31-2013 02:43 PM

If anyone stumbles upon this and is wishing to reduce some of the vibes; do as search for "Vibration! A cure for bad vibrations, Spark Plug Caps!!" it matters and it really helps get rid of high frequency oscillations & vibrations. IF you can change spark plug, you can reduce vibes!